PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You have to read these...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how often some of you visit the Draft forum, but in case you don't I though these 2 posts were worth offering to the general populous. They are must reading imho.

The first is from Since71 (in case someone might think that I have the patience to look all this stuff up. ;) )
Now that we have seen some subjective opinions thrown out about Jermaine Cunningham, lets look at his career stats vs Jerry Hughes and Sergio Kindle.
Look at their career production and then everyones thoughts, comments.

Jerry Hughes:
started 27-of-49 games at Texas Christian, including his final 26 contests … Made 142 tackles (82 solos) with 28.5 sacks for minus-207 yards, 40.5 stops for losses totaling 230 yards and seven quarterback pressures … Caused eight fumbles and recovered four others … Deflected four passes, returned a kickoff 10 yards and gained 32 yards with a touchdown on three interception returns … Tied for fifth among the nation's active players with 28.5 quarterback sacks.

Sergio Kindle:
His official NCAA statistics read, 151 tackles (106 solos), 16.5 sacks for minus-120 yards, 33.5 stops for losses of 166 yards and 18 quarterback pressures … Caused three fumbles and recovered three others … Also deflected five passes and blocked a kick

Jermaine Cunningham:
Saw action in 45 games at Florida, with 38 career starts … Recorded 152 tackles, 80 solo and 72 assisted in his career at UF … Additionally tallied 34.0 tackles for loss, 19.5 sacks, seven pass deflections, five forced fumbles, one interception and a fumble recovery during his tenure with the Gators

Kindle and Cunnighams stats are almost identical. 150 career takles, 33/34 tackles for a loss, 16.5 sacks for Kindle, 19.5 carreer sacks for Cunningham. Cunningham started 38 of 45 games in his career. Both obviously played at big time programs at Florida and Texas.

Hughes had the great sack production. He had less tackles and few more tackles for loss. Only started 29 of 45 career games and played in a lesser program at TCU. (Relative to Florida and Texas)

I didn't include Brandan Graham, we were not going to jump up to the top 10 to get him, if we did, other needs would not have been addressed.

Bottom line: I thrilled with our haul on draft day, need filled. Hopefully another starting corner. Will contribute greatly to special teams. Two excellent T/e prospects and an excellent receiver prospect. Much better talent and depth at iLB. Spikes had over 300 career tackles and 6.5 sacks, 6career interceptions. The interception show his great insticts. Overall, and I realize everyone covets different players, this was an excellent draft.

Bottom line: Objective data shows we landed an excellent edge-rusher prospect at OLD/DE.

And thanks to Triumph who found this info comparing McCourty to the other top CBs

Last edited:
Re: You have to read these.....

That's some encouraging stuff. If accurate, we'll have one sick nickle.

Those are some really interesting stats. I had no idea who McCourty was before the draft. now he looks like the best available.

Cunningham looks like a solid prospect. And i feel that he can be an amazing OLB/DE for us.

On Spikes. If we can keep his interest up, he is going to be a beast.

Two things stood out to me here. The first is that none of those CB's had a high amount of interceptions. The second is that McCourty was excellent at re-routing a receiver. Those skills should come in handy this year when he sees time in the Nickel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back