PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yikes - One of the Draft Binkies of This Forum Was Sent Home Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It gives me pause. Not because he got mad. Everyone gets mad. It is the fact he got mad and had to be sent home at the combine. How do you let them happen? You are under a microscope.

Getting mad at waiting is one thing but pulling the "do you now who I am" card is another. **** you... you are getting a damn MRI for athetic purposes while others in that hospital are waiting for actual health reasons.

Helps us evaluate his character. I hope we pass. Report that he tried to use his draft stature to intimidate a peon suggests he's an entitled prick, not what we want infecting our locker room.

Agreed, but Saban can vouch for the kid's character. He's had him in a similar program for years. Maybe he will confirm this is normal, or whether it's out of character.

Agreed, but Saban can vouch for the kid's character. He's had him in a similar program for years. Maybe he will confirm this is normal, or whether it's out of character.
Normal vs out of character is not interesting to me. If he went out of character under the bright lights at the combine that's its own problem.

The fact of the matter is that this is a time to be on best behavior, and the plan has to be all about presenting yourself in the best possible light. This kid failed to execute the plan, or failed to plan, one way or the other, Neither is a thing the New England Patriots are likely to be excited about.

Whatever else this is about, it seems to be about a kid who didn't keep their eyes on the prize and who let emotion get the better of him under pressure. Not exciting for a top NFL prospect for a team that's always under the brightest lights in football.

The patriots go for a lot of guys who have maybe only pretty good athletic talent, but have a good head on their shoulders and are prepared to work their tails off to maximize the talent they have for the good of the team. Julian Edelman is Exhibit A. Highlighting a kid who has all the athletic gifts in the world and is wanting in the head department and hoping the Patriots draft him... eh. It's easier to get the most out of a hard working player's talent than it is to fix a kid's head. This kid is almost the exact opposite of the Patriot Way. I think this incident moves the Patriots on to other options at CB.

Last edited:
Normal vs out of character is not interesting to me. If he went out of character under the bright lights at the combine that's its own problem.

The fact of the matter is that this is a time to be on best behavior, and the plan has to be all about presenting yourself in the best possible light. This kid failed to execute the plan, or failed to plan, one way or the other, Neither is a thing the New England Patriots are likely to be excited about.

Whatever else this is about, it seems to be about a kid who didn't keep their eyes on the prize and who let emotion get the better of him under pressure. Not exciting for a top NFL prospect for a team that's always under the brightest lights in football.

The patriots go for a lot of guys who have maybe only pretty good athletic talent, but have a good head on their shoulders and are prepared to work their tails off to maximize the talent they have for the good of the team. Julian Edelman is Exhibit A. Highlighting a kid who has all the athletic gifts in the world and is wanting in the head department and hoping the Patriots draft him... eh. It's easier to get the most out of a hard working player's talent than it is to fix a kid's head. This kid is almost the exact opposite of the Patriot Way. I think this incident moves the Patriots on to other options at CB.

It is his own problem, and I'm not saying we should draft him regardless. But I'd take several years of evaluations over one bad day.

That's the biggest problem with the combine, we take one drill or one interview or one incident over 4 years of other evaluations. Yes, the combine matters, but it takes on a ridiculously significantly higher value than it should.

Is Cleveland going to take Garrett off their draft board because of his stupid joke? Of course not. If it had happened at the combine, should that change the way they respond to it? Of course not.

It matters, yes. His draft stock will be hurt because of it. It raises some red flags, totally agree. But I wouldn't eliminate anyone just because of one bad day, especially one as circus-like as the combine. If 3 or 4 years of tape and insights from one of my best friends told me otherwise, I would put a lot more into that.

Maybe Saban tells BB, "Hey, no big surprise there, that kid was a pain in the ass," then fine. But you at least ask the question, don't just scratch his name off entirely.

It is his own problem, and I'm not saying we should draft him regardless. But I'd take several years of evaluations over one bad day.

That's the biggest problem with the combine, we take one drill or one interview or one incident over 4 years of other evaluations. Yes, the combine matters, but it takes on a ridiculously significantly higher value than it should.

Is Cleveland going to take Garrett off their draft board because of his stupid joke? Of course not. If it had happened at the combine, should that change the way they respond to it? Of course not.

It matters, yes. His draft stock will be hurt because of it. It raises some red flags, totally agree. But I wouldn't eliminate anyone just because of one bad day, especially one as circus-like as the combine. If 3 or 4 years of tape and insights from one of my best friends told me otherwise, I would put a lot more into that.

Maybe Saban tells BB, "Hey, no big surprise there, that kid was a pain in the ass," then fine. But you at least ask the question, don't just scratch his name off entirely.
The Superbowl is just one day too.

I don't say there's no point that I'd draft the kid but taking a kid who can't plan the day and then stick the plan in the biggest week of his life up to this point... it doesn't look good from the perspective of a team that's under the bright lights a LOT.

The Superbowl is just one day too.

I don't say there's no point that I'd draft the kid but taking a kid who can't plan the day and then stick the plan in the biggest week of his life up to this point... it doesn't look good from the perspective of a team that's under the bright lights a LOT.

The Super Bowl is just one day, exactly.

"Legends" of the game like Malcolm Smith and Dexter Jackson and ****ing Desmond Howard had great days, but it was hardly indicative of their careers.

And they hardly had reputations for being playoff performers who stepped up with the pressure. They just had big days at lucky times.

I just think crucifying a kid in his early 20s for character mistakes is silly. A lot of kids who "pass" the weekend will have similar issues. It's part of growing up. It raises questions, but it shouldn't make or break an evaluation.

The Super Bowl is just one day, exactly.

"Legends" of the game like Malcolm Smith and Dexter Jackson and ****ing Desmond Howard had great days, but it was hardly indicative of their careers.

And they hardly had reputations for being playoff performers who stepped up with the pressure. They just had big days at lucky times.

I just think crucifying a kid in his early 20s for character mistakes is silly. A lot of kids who "pass" the weekend will have similar issues. It's part of growing up. It raises questions, but it shouldn't make or break an evaluation.
Jonas Grey agrees with you. Totally.

Last year I didn't know who anyone was for the first time in a long time, since the theft of the Pats top pick just totally sapped my interest in the NFL* draft.

Welcome to my world. The first I hear about most of the potential players is here.

I guess he is no longer a draft binky, BB won't tolerate that. Was watching film on taco Charlton, he is my new Draft binky!

Last edited:
Two places you never judge a person: a hospital and an airplane. Both settings can create ridiculous amounts of illogical tension in someone's head.

Unless there are other incidents that show it as a pattern, I hope it drops him to #32 and I hope the Pats grab him.

Depends on who is doing it.

When I was processing for the military, there were two doctors doing the physical, and as candidates got up to the front, whichever one was done would take the next one. One of the doctors was an old, cantankerous man who thought he was a Drill Sergeant, and the other was a decent looking woman in her mid-upper thirties. As I got up to the front of the line, the woman took the guy in front of me, and I wore the look of shame. But the old doctor was having some paperwork issues with his guy and then the woman was finished and came to get me for the physical.

Didn't mind at all. :cool:

Not my binky....never was

No one likes the prostate exam for the first time.

I find it disturbing that your post implies you grow to "like" it. :)
Worse yet is a prostate biopsy. No amount of dimmed lights and soft music helps, although a double single malt scotch might help.

I find it disturbing that your post implies you grow to "like" it. :)
Worse yet is a prostate biopsy. No amount of dimmed lights and soft music helps, although a double single malt scotch might help.

I'm in no way implying anything beyond the experiences of a first visit. Some may enjoy future exams with or without a double single malt (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I leave that to the individual and their own libertarian tastes.

Would you prefer head-banging hard rock music? Something to get the adrenaline going :p.

The biggest red flag is if your hospital gown has frills and a flower pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST