PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouts On Some Of The Top 50 In The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
It's always nice to get a feel for how those in the game actually feel about prospects rather than draftniks and somehow, Bob McGinn managed to get comments from scouts on most of the top 50. Read the whole thing, but here's some highlights:

Trent Richardson*, RB, Alabama: 5-11, 225. Backed up Mark Ingram for two seasons before exploding for 1,679 yards (5.9) and 21 TDs in 2011. "Two years ago when Ingram won the Heisman, people at Alabama laughed behind the scenes saying, 'Ingram isn't even the best player in his own backfield,' " one scout said. "And Ingram is a nice player. But Richardson is big-time. He is probably the most complete player in this draft. Every superlative that you could put on him he's got." Regarded as a mature person and a tremendous worker. "He immediately changes your team," another scout said. "From whatever it is to a tough team. Because he's a tough guy. He's the total package. Pass protects. Everything."

Dre Kirkpatrick*, CB, Alabama: 6-2½, 190. Another two-year starter with three interceptions. "He's the toughest of all the corners coming out this year," one scout said. "Looks like he can run." Was arrested for marijuana possession in January, but the charge was dropped. "He's going to (expletive) you off because he's such a freelancer," another scout said. "That's kind of his persona. To do that you'd better be Deion Sanders. Claiborne's upside isn't as big as Kirkpatrick's. Claiborne is more well-rounded."

Fletcher Cox*, DT, Mississippi State: 6-4, 298. Started two of his three seasons, finishing with 8½ sacks. "He's probably a pure 4-3 DT who can give you reps at DE," one scout said. "He's got the athletic ability to be a better pass rusher in the future than his numbers have indicated so far." Nicknamed "The Beast." Said another scout: "Guy can run all day. He's explosive, strong hands, good hips. He's country. He's hard. He looooves football."

Mark Barron, S, Alabama: 6-1½, 223. Three-year starter. "He's a plug-in and play starting safety from Day One," one scout said. "Of all the Alabama guys, Trent Richardson and Mark Barron are the two most dependable guys. You know what you're getting. There is no question about it. He can play deep safety and down in the box as a dime cover guy on the tight end or back out of the backfield. He's a good blitzer and good in run support." Finished with 12 interceptions. "For a big, tall guy he can break down," another scout said. "He's not Troy Polamalu. There's 25 guys in this draft better than Barron."

Vinny Curry, DE-OLB, Marshall: 6-3, 266.Three-year starter with 26½ sacks. "Very, very talented football player," one scout said. "He may have a chance to stand up and be an outside linebacker. He's tough. The guy plays hard." Moved around rather well at the Senior Bowl when the coaches gave him a chance to play standing up.

All the highlights are my own. Nice to have my Barron fixation somewhat vindicated.

Last edited:
I'm almost tempted to draft Mark Barron just because his NAME is so much cooler than Chung's.

I mean: "Hey! I'm Patrick CHUNG. I'll be your Strong Safety, today."

What is THAT?? :rolleyes:

What I take from his article is what I have been saying for the past month.

This draft has a super mega blue chipper at the top in Luck. Followed by 4 or 5 decent blue blue chip prospects. Kahil, Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne and maybe Griffin.

But only a dozen or so red chip prospects. So after pick #20, this draft flattens out and it becomes a draft of about 50 or so guys that are all generic,for lack of a better word and the key for teams drafting after #20 is finding the player that best "Fits" your system. What I am saying is the talent difference between the #50 ranked player and the #27 ranked player is minimal and for teams drafting after #20, those team's success in this draft is tied to their ability to find players that best fit in their system.

If I am BB,I see 2 guys that really interest me, Brockers and Cox. If neither is on the board at #27,then I have no reason to stay in the first round unless I want to overdraft Curry or overdraft one of the DB's, like Baron.

This draft has a super mega blue chipper at the top in Luck. Followed by 4 or 5 decent blue blue chip prospects. Kahil, Richardson, Blackmon, Claiborne and maybe Griffin.

But only a dozen or so red chip prospects. So after pick #20, this draft flattens out and it becomes a draft of about 50 or so guys that are all generic,for lack of a better word and the key for teams drafting after #20 is finding the player that best "Fits" your system. What I am saying is the talent difference between the #50 ranked player and the #27 ranked player is minimal and for teams drafting after #20, those team's success in this draft is tied to their ability to find players that best fit in their system.

If I am BB,I see 2 guys that really interest me, Brockers and Cox. If neither is on the board at #27,then I have no reason to stay in the first round unless I want to overdraft Curry or overdraft one of the DB's, like Baron.

Any thoughts on the WR crop?

Blackmon might not be the blue chipper we thought he was. He's lacking Andre Johnson/Larry Fitz size, lacking strength and needs a wee bit more speed.

I don't see us as having Vinny Curry on our draft board anymore. Comes from a small school and lacks size in key areas that BB tends to like.

Blackmon might not be the blue chipper we thought he was. He's lacking Andre Johnson/Larry Fitz size, lacking strength and needs a wee bit more speed.

I don't see us as having Vinny Curry on our draft board anymore. Comes from a small school and lacks size in key areas that BB tends to like.

He's not a blue chipper IMO. He's not that fast, he's not that big, he has good hands and intangibles, but bottom line is that he is a 6'1 possession receiver.

The difference between the top guys and the third through fifth rounders is minuscule to me.

I'm almost tempted to draft Mark Barron just because his NAME is so much cooler than Chung's.

I mean: "Hey! I'm Patrick CHUNG. I'll be your Strong Safety, today."

What is THAT?? :rolleyes:

This is just more garbage that you continually spew just like your clamoring for a third all-star TE. You've officially landed on my ignore list.

Interesting praise about Mark Barron. I'm curious as to how he would fit in our system. We aren't a traditional FS/SS team so there could be room for him next to Chung after all.

Last edited:
This is just more garbage that you continually spew just like your clamoring for a third all-star TE. You've officially landed on my ignore list.

Interesting praise about Mark Barron. I'm curious as to how he would fit in our system. We aren't a traditional FS/SS team so there could be room for him next to Chung after all.

Second longest arms of all DB's. Keeps ticking boxes.

Assuming you are right about the structure of the draft:

If I'm BB I'd look to move up to 15-20 with one first assuring we get a guy with a first round grade. I'd move the other first back and recoup w/e lower round selection I lost.

A mid first and a late second > 2 late firsts

Last edited:
Assuming you are right about the structure of the draft:

If I'm BB I'd look to move up to 15-20 with one first assuring we get a guy with a first round grade. I'd move the other first back and recoup w/e lower round selection I lost.

A mid first and a late second > 2 late firsts

BB won't do this. If anything we should try and trade out of the first with at least one of our picks and pick up an early 2nd rounder. Last year's draft the 2nd round was money because the draft was super deep. This year's draft the 2nd round is about the same as the end of the 1st because this draft class is weak.

BB won't do this. If anything we should try and trade out of the first with at least one of our picks and pick up an early 2nd rounder. Last year's draft the 2nd round was money because the draft was super deep. This year's draft the 2nd round is about the same as the end of the 1st because this draft class is weak.

Why? Assuming Ochmed's diagnosis of the draft structure is correct, trading out of the 27-31 range is the optimal strategy. Moving up for a red chipper before the significant talent drop off is not out of the question.

And what exactly has shown that BB cares what the scouts think? Never mind that entire idea completely ignores how the draft salary cap completely changes the draft. The Pats are a couple of pieces away, and with knowing exactly what you will be paying for each pick, along with that number being vastly smaller than it was last year, I don't see why you wouldn't target your guys and pick them where you are.

The "value" of the draft is so much different this year than others.

Curry is too small to be be a 3-4 DE, and too slow to be a 3-4 LB. He's probably too slow to be a starting 4-3 DE. Put up most his stats against weak competition. I do not see us drafting Curry at all.

What about this Memphis kid, Poe? Staggering size, strength, and speed combination. A physical specimen that is extremely rare. I could envision him, Wilfork, and Deadrick in a monster 3-4 line. But I don't watch much college football, so I don't know if he played to his measurables. Apparently not, or he'd be a top 5 pick.

Why? Assuming Ochmed's diagnosis of the draft structure is correct, trading out of the 27-31 range is the optimal strategy. Moving up for a red chipper before the significant talent drop off is not out of the question.

When has BB ever moved up on day 1? We would have to give up to much to get a real blue or red chipper. Better to trade back and pick up extra picks later in the draft and for other years imo

When has BB ever moved up on day 1? We would have to give up to much to get a real blue or red chipper. Better to trade back and pick up extra picks later in the draft and for other years imo
He moved up to get ty warren.

They traded up to get Daniel Graham as well.

We traded 32, 96 and 234 for 21 in order to select Graham. This suggest we could trade 27 and 95 and move up to 20. That's hardly costly give the success rate of late 3rd round picks.

Here's how I see the draft. (note the numbers are not draft slots, players are randomly listed)

Will be taken in top 15:
1. Luck
2. RG3
3. Blackmon
4. Clairborne
5. Kirkpatrick
6. Kalil
7. Reiff
8. Richardson
9. Coples
10. Tannehill

This is the next group of players to be taken, again not in order.
1. Kuechly
2. Martin
3. DeCastro
4. Ingram
5. Poe
6. Brockers
7. Cox
8. Still
9. Mercilus
10. Upshaw

11. Floyd
12. Wright

The bolded guys are the one I'd trade up for. I don't believe any will be available at 27. The remaining front 7 players in the draft are noticeably worse prospects. I'd give up a late 3 for any of these guys.

This is the next group of players to be taken, again not in order.
1. Kuechly
2. Martin
3. DeCastro
4. Ingram
5. Poe
6. Brockers
7. Cox
8. Still
9. Mercilus
10. Upshaw

11. Floyd
12. Wright

The bolded guys are the one I'd trade up for. I don't believe any will be available at 27. The remaining front 7 players in the draft are noticeably worse prospects. I'd give up a late 3 for any of these guys.

Thats a lie. Bequette and Wolfe are no worse than any of these "projects" at their positions. In fact, many of these projects are just hype jobs, one year wonders who are promoted as 1st round picks based on their "potential". Ofcourse the majority of 1st round busts from earlier years have also been picked based on their "potential".

Why draft Bequette & Wolfe that early, when in almost all likelihood they will both be available at #63?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back