PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yeatman & Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asfpnepRefugee

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Considering how crappy the OL is, I'm surprised they dropped both Smith [bold]and[/bold] Yeatman. I know everyone is up in arms about Meriweather but this seems like a Big Deal to me, unless Crump's Brother is coming back.

Sign one or both to PS. One or both will probably clear waivers. If not, give Alge a call.

Sign one or both to PS. One or both will probably clear waivers. If not, give Alge a call.

Alge is what I meant by Crump's Brother.

It seems like this offense is built around having that third Big Guy TE, and now all htey have are the two Meatheads. Granted they're talented Meatheads.

Seems likely now that Alge was released with a "wink and a nod".

BB got an in-depth look at the kids. An older, proven vet in this system got a pass on TC. He knows the schemes, blocking assignments, etc...

I don't see us going more then 1 week with 2 TE's on the roster. Alge will be back. I was curious as to why he didn't sign retirement papers when he was released. ;)

Considering how good the Pats' offense is in 2 TE sets, does anyone else find it strange that we only have 2 TEs on the roster now? I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd kept 4, and thought there was no way that they'd be keeping only 2. Crumpler has to jut be a phone call away, I'd think.

Not sure that this offensive line is all that "crappy"..

They played poorly against Detroit, but we will see in about ten days how good or bad they are.

Surprised that both were cut, but I can see Alge coming back day after Miami :D

Not sure that this offensive line is all that "crappy"..

They played poorly against Detroit, but we will see in about ten days how good or bad they are.

For TB's sake, having Cam Wake coming off the edge without Crumpler or a similar blocking ace could be trouble.

Both Yeatman and Smith are regarded as blocking type TE. It could be that BB feels that he can use Solder/Maneri in backup OL/TE roles and save a roster spot on the 46 active roster. They could use the extra roster spot to rotate the DL.

The Pats would have room for 3 TE's if the didn't have to carry so many old one trick pony D Lineman.

Crumpler was in the game on half of the defensive reps last year. As much as posters liked Yeatman and/or Smith, Belichick didn't think that they were worth a roster spot.

I expect Cruimpler back, although Belichick might look at other TE's. Using an OL as a TE for 1 or 2 short yardage plays a game is fine. Crumpler was an important part of the offense. The fact that some of our OL's were TE's in college doesn't mean that they are ready for a major role as TE.

Crumpler was in the game on half of the defensive reps last year. As much as posters liked Yeatman and/or Smith, Belichick didn't think that they were worth a roster spot.

It occurred to me this morning that this could simply be the whole "we'll sign you after week 1" type of thing regarding Alge.

With Light on the roster earning $7mill this year, Solder is the blocking TE...seems pretty simple and straight forward. Solder is athletic enough to be a pulling blocker on running plays...and with his TE background early in his career......Vrabel?

Yes, Solder can play Vrabel's TE role: 1-2 plays a game. That is NOT the issue. Crumpler played on half the offensive reps.

With Light on the roster earning $7mill this year, Solder is the blocking TE...seems pretty simple and straight forward. Solder is athletic enough to be a pulling blocker on running plays...and with his TE background early in his career......Vrabel?

Last edited:

I expect Cruimpler back, although Belichick might look at other TE's. Using an OL as a TE for 1 or 2 short yardage plays a game is fine. Crumpler was an important part of the offense. The fact that some of our OL's were TE's in college doesn't mean that they are ready for a major role as TE.

The Pats are NOT going into the 2011 season with just 2 TEs, At least one of these 2 kids will make to the PS, if not elevated to the 53 man roster. This was just a maneuver to keep an extra DL man on the roster for another week and make some decisions. Before week 2 Alge, Yeatman. and/or Smith WILL be on the roster.

Considering how crappy the OL is, I'm surprised they dropped both Smith [bold]and[/bold] Yeatman. I know everyone is up in arms about Meriweather but this seems like a Big Deal to me, unless Crump's Brother is coming back.
You should be pleased. They weren't going to keep both, only one. probably Yeatman. And they addressed your OLine concern by adding Waters (not that I agree the OLine is crappy). But I'd rather have Waters than Yeatman.

THere aren't many people who are up in arms over cuttng Meriweather. Not nearly as many who were up in arms over keeping Meriweather.

Pats will be fine.

Last edited:
Count me as a member of the camp that thinks they've always been fairly crappy and get far too much credit.
So tell me the 20 or 25 teams to whom you would trade our best five (Light, Solder, Mankins, Volmer, Koppen) for their best five?

I'm guessing our Oline is a top 5 (you could not find mor than 4 teams with a better best five than our best five).

But prove me wrong....

Yes, Solder can play Vrabel's TE role: 1-2 plays a game. That is NOT the issue. Crumpler played on half the offensive reps.

I expect the first rounder to be on the field a ton. Crumpler was a blocker...Solder is a blocker...a much more athletic blocker. Did you happen to notice Gronk and Solder on the field together (preseason game 2)...the running game was infused by their ability to pull up the middle. With Light's salary, he will be on the field alot....and Solder is an asset not a bench guy. Not to mention RG is an issue and I expect BB to compact the right side of the line going heavy there with TE/2nd RT. The running game will certainly benefit.

I expect the first rounder to be on the field a ton. Crumpler was a blocker...Solder is a blocker...a much more athletic blocker. Did you happen to notice Gronk and Solder on the field together (preseason game 2)...the running game was infused by their ability to pull up the middle. With Light's salary, he will be on the field alot....and Solder is an asset not a bench guy. Not to mention RG is an issue and I expect BB to compact the right side of the line going heavy there with TE/2nd RT. The running game will certainly benefit.

I was really expecting Yeatman to make it but taking off my binky glasses this really makes a lot of sense. Neither Yeatman nor Smith looked all that great catching passes in the pre-season (not terrible, but nothing special), and neither of them block as well as Solder or Maneri (who are both more athletic as well).

Just Bill using the roster more efficiently once again. (Although I would not mind a return of Crump, I forgive you for the playoff drop!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back