PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Joel Buschbaum(Former draft analyst Pro Football Weekly) used to classify players something like this;
1. Hall of Famer - Like it says. The best of the best Brady, Manning, Ray Lewis
2. All Pro - Very good players. Amongst the best at their position in the league. V.Wilfork, A. Gates,
3. Blue Chip - Type of player you build your team around. M. Light, R. Wayne, Dallas Clark
4. Red Chip - Solid Starter some holes in game though.

I think J. Mayo will become a blue chip player if he isn't already. I think B. Spikes will become a red chip player. You really don't need anything more at the ILB position in the 3-4. Spikes comes out in the nickel anyway.

Especially when that red chip player is one of the best in the league at exactly what he needs to do for the blue chip player to excel, taking on blocks. Keeping Mayo clean isn't just the DL's job.

*Current Projections*​

The Huddle and Great Blue present two different ~ but clearly equally valid ~ interpretations.

~ Great Blue ranks them based on the PlayOffs theoretically starting today.

~ The Huddle ranks them based on Absolute Record, ignoring current PlayOff standings.

Considering that there are 10 weeks left, and the last 12 spots won't be determined until January and on, both approaches are, for now, obviously equally useful.

Great Blue North Draft Report

1 Indianapolis 0-6 .516
2 Miami 0-5 .567
3 St. Louis 0-5 .580
4 Jacksonville 1-5 .495
5 Carolina 1-5 .516
6 Minnesota 1-5 .604
7 Arizona 1-4 .466
8 Denver 1-4 .607
9 Philadelphia 2-4 .500
10 Cleveland 2-3 .483
11 Seattle 2-3 .489
12 Dallas 2-3 .522
13 Kansas City 2-3 .538
14 Houston 3-3 .418
15 Cleveland 3-3 .468
16 NY Jets 3-3 .511
17 Chicago 3-3 .554
18 Washington 3-2 .422
19 Pittsburgh 4-2 .483
20 Oakland 4-2 .523
21P Tennessee 3-2 .419
22P Cincinnati 4-2 .460
23P New England 4-2 .447
24P Tampa Bay 4-2 .479
25P NY Giants 4-2 .500
26P Buffalo 4-2 .511
27P Baltimore 4-1 .472
28P San Diego 4-1 .511
29P San Francisco 5-1 .465
30P Detroit 5-1 .543
31P New England 5-1 .449
32P Green Bay 6-0 .489

NFL MOCK DRAFT - THE HUDDLE REPORT

1 COLTS 0 0.516
2 DOLPHINS 0 0.567
3 RAMS 0 0.580
4 CARDINALS 1 0.466
5 JAGUARS 1 0.495
6 PANTHERS 1 0.516
7 BRONCOS 1 0.600
8 VIKINGS 1 0.604
9 BROWNS 2 0.483
10 SEAHAWKS 2 0.489
11 EAGLES 2 0.500
12 COWBOYS 2 0.522
13 CHIEFS 2 0.538
14 TEXANS 3 0.418
15 TITANS 3 0.419
16 REDSKINS 3 0.422
17 FALCONS 3 0.468
18 JETS 3 0.511
19 BEARS 3 0.554
20 SAINTS 4 0.447
21 BENGALS 4 0.460
22 RAVENS 4 0.472
23 BUCCANEERS 4 0.479
24 STEELERS 4 0.483
25 GIANTS 4 0.500
26 CHARGERS 4 0.511
27 BILLS 4 0.511
28 RAIDERS 4 0.523
29 PATRIOTS 5 0.449

30 49ERS 5 0.465
31 LIONS 5 0.543
32 PACKERS 6 0.489

So according to GBN's "Playoff" Rankings, we're at:

And according to The Huddles's "Absolute Value" Rankings, we're at:

Obviously, the "PlayOffs start Today" approach will eventually be the only way to go, but by that point, it will presumably be used by both Sites...Meanwhile, the "Absolute" record gives us some intriguing insight that the other doesn't, in my view...Each man can decide for himself which he prefers.

Personally, I'll be checking both.

Heh!! Good points, all.

The Palmer Trade cast serious doubts on the alleged demise of Mad Al.

Honestly, even with our Pick at stake, here, I'm rooting for Palmer. His Game has never been the same since Kimo hit'm, and it bothers the HELL out'f me. I've always loved the Steelers, and still do, but I have serious doubts about whether're not that ROLL was incidental or intentional...and it DISGUSTS me that the Steelers went on to win it all, that year, because the Bengals had some MAGIC, that year, and I really believe that ~ without that play ~ it would've been them and the Hawks in the Super Bowl...

But what really won my Sympathy ~ in the old meaning of the word ~ for Captain Palmer was his remarkable forthrightness about the psychological impact of the injury...I don't recall any QB of note ever admitting, before or since, that dealing with that can be tough. Many questioned his Testicular Fortitude in the wake of that confession, but I'm more inclined to think that it showed real guts to admit what he wasn't forced to admit...And I've been wondering, for the last 5 years, now, if he wouldn't find Reclamation in the right situation...Whether OakLand is that or not is obviously a big fat Question.

I neglected to mention the impact on the Saints of Sean Paytons injury. It will be fascinating to see the effect that has in NO.

I quite like the Saints, and Drew Brees is pretty much my favourite player in the league. For the sake of a top 15 pick, i can keep that on hold for a year!

I don't know what you've seen of him this year, but everything I've seen or heard about Upshaw this year has been great and every draft analyst I've read has his stock rising. I'm worried he won't make it past 20, let alone the 2nd round. Maybe you have seen something different. I also doubt the Pats will have any shot at Te'o, he could easily be a top 12 pick and well out of range of the Saints pick.

I agree. We don't get much College football in the UK, so i mostly have to go on the consensus of what the experts are saying. The general consensus is that Upshaw is a safe pick - and that worries me. We though Aldon Smith and Ryan Kerrigan might be around at 17 in 2011. Smith was someting like #7 and Kerrigan #10-15 range - so that type of player, as with the QB's, will rise on draft day and we should remember that.

So long as we focus on the D in 2012, and keep the O together i will be happy.

I would not discount a FA pass rusher either, but i am not sure who will be available. I would much rather we found one or two through the draft though.

Our top three needs for me are (in any order) DE, OLB/DE and S.

Here's a 3 round mock from WalterFootball. They have early board binkie going to NYJ at 17. Rut roh. We're going to have to trade up if we want Mr. Upshaw IMO. They are projecting draft order. Not using current standings. Their pats picks

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

1a Jerel Worthy - dt - Mich St - Not a fit if we go back to 3-4
1b Ronnell Lewis - olb - Oklahoma - Will have to develop. But, he's a special teams demon. Hmm....McCourty and Ridley come to mind. Downside is that he's only a junior, not big 6'2" 237lb, and has had academic trouble. Not the big, smart and tough criteria Holley wrote about in Patriot Reign.
2A Mark Barron - S - Alabama - Isn't Lester a better fit?
2b Brian Quick - WR - App St - Never saw him.
3 Nate Potter - ol - Boise St - Would only take a C that early.

I'm going to pull an Al Haig and put myself in charge. Going by their draft board these would be my picks.

1a Vinny Curry - olb - Marshall - They have him going 64. He's going to go much earlier. A little taller than Upshaw which BB might prefer.
1b Dontari Poe - NG/DT/DE(3-4) - Memphis Huge kid rising up the draft boards. 6'5"350lb. Can 2-gap and play nose.
2a Robert Lester - FS - Alabama - Seems to fit our needs better than Barron.
2b Kendal Wright - WR - Baylor - Smaller, faster, shiftier guy having a great year with Robert Griffin III.
3 Andre Branch - olb - Clemson - 6'5" 260LB. Don't see him in their mock. May not be fast enough for a 3-4 olb. Could be better 4-3 de.

Don't worry, I already ripped Walter a ton. That was one of the crappiest mocks I've seen in a long time. WTF, a 6'5" WR in the 2nd? Does he understand this offensive scheme at all right now?

1b Dontari Poe - NG/DT/DE(3-4) - Memphis Huge kid rising up the draft boards. 6'5"350lb. Can 2-gap and play nose.

I've never seen Poe play, but who says he can 2 gap? Very few college teams play a true two gap defense.

The boys at CBS Rang and Reuter have their mocks out. Rang has us taking Crick and Cam Johnson. Two de's?? Possibly if we stuck with the 4-3. But, I don't like either. Reuter has us taking C. Upshaw and Chase Minnifield. Rang doesn't have Upshaw or V. Curry in his mock. I'd love to get both of them in the first. Then look for that FS in the second.

NFL Draft - 2012 Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

The boys at CBS Rang and Reuter have their mocks out. Rang has us taking Crick and Cam Johnson. Two de's?? Possibly if we stuck with the 4-3. But, I don't like either. Reuter has us taking C. Upshaw and Chase Minnifield. Rang doesn't have Upshaw or V. Curry in his mock. I'd love to get both of them in the first. Then look for that FS in the second.

Crick's injury makes me think we can get him in the second.

Upshaw and Curry, depending on how they run, could be excellent additions.

I've never seen Poe play, but who says he can 2 gap? Very few college teams play a true two gap defense.

I shouldn't have said that. Has anyone seen him play? I haven't. I was just basing it on his size. He better be able to at that size.

I like Crick and Johnson, but not in the first. It wouldn't surprise me if Crick falls in the draft, to the mid 2nd or so. Rang's explanations are atrocious. The Pats' "lack of a pass rush is likely to force the team to select an outside linebacker early" and they "are desperate for a pass rush and may be forced to gamble on the upside potential of Johnson"? When was the last time Belichick reached on a player out of needed? It hasn't happened, and it won't happen this year.

Reuter's is almost as bad. "The Patriots are constantly looking to improve the depth of their secondary" is true. The problem is that they already have. The NFL interceptions leader was the guy who many projected as the 4th CB on the team and has been a very adequate starter for over a season. It sounds like there's plenty of depth there to me.

I like Crick and Johnson, but not in the first. It wouldn't surprise me if Crick falls in the draft, to the mid 2nd or so. Rang's explanations are atrocious. The Pats' "lack of a pass rush is likely to force the team to select an outside linebacker early" and they "are desperate for a pass rush and may be forced to gamble on the upside potential of Johnson"? When was the last time Belichick reached on a player out of needed? It hasn't happened, and it won't happen this year.

Reuter's is almost as bad. "The Patriots are constantly looking to improve the depth of their secondary" is true. The problem is that they already have. The NFL interceptions leader was the guy who many projected as the 4th CB on the team and has been a very adequate starter for over a season. It sounds like there's plenty of depth there to me.

This has inspired me, i just thought of this then, this year when i do my mock draft, i will mock everyone else but New England. Then when New England's pick is available i will look at the best player period, Unless that player is QB or NT or MLB (Maybe). That is the player i will pick and i will see if this gets me any closer to a BB draft.

Here's a 3 round mock from WalterFootball. They have early board binkie going to NYJ at 17. Rut roh. We're going to have to trade up if we want Mr. Upshaw IMO. They are projecting draft order. Not using current standings. Their pats picks

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

1a Jerel Worthy - dt - Mich St - Not a fit if we go back to 3-4
1b Ronnell Lewis - olb - Oklahoma - Will have to develop. But, he's a special teams demon. Hmm....McCourty and Ridley come to mind. Downside is that he's only a junior, not big 6'2" 237lb, and has had academic trouble. Not the big, smart and tough criteria Holley wrote about in Patriot Reign.
2A Mark Barron - S - Alabama - Isn't Lester a better fit?
2b Brian Quick - WR - App St - Never saw him.
3 Nate Potter - ol - Boise St - Would only take a C that early.

I'm going to pull an Al Haig and put myself in charge. Going by their draft board these would be my picks.

1a Vinny Curry - olb - Marshall -

6224487.jpg

They have him going 64. He's going to go much earlier. A little taller than Upshaw which BB might prefer.

1b Dontari Poe - NG/DT/DE(3-4) -

59767_Mississippi_St_Memphis_Football.jpg

Memphis Huge kid rising up the draft boards. 6'5"350lb. Can 2-gap and play nose.

2a Robert Lester - FS - Alabama -

410943772.jpg

Seems to fit our needs better than Barron.

2b Kendal Wright - WR - Baylor -

564741916.jpg

Smaller, faster, shiftier guy having a great year with Robert Griffin III.

3 Andre Branch - olb - Clemson - 6'5" 260LB.

711266315.jpg

Don't see him in their mock. May not be fast enough for a 3-4 olb. Could be better 4-3 de.

A VAST improvement on Walter's ATROCITY of a Mock!! :cool:

Revising my draft as I think I made my last one a little hastily. This is all assuming we don't trade out of any spots. I'm first going to list players I think are on our radar. This is only for the first and second round:

1. Michael Brewster - C - Ohio St
2. Jared Crick - 3-4 DE - Nebraska
3. Kheeston Randall - 3-4 DE - Texas
4. Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame
5. Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M
6. Juron Criner - WR - Arizona
7. Mohamed Sanu - WR - Rutgers
8. T.J. MacDonald - S - USC
9. Robert Lester - S - Alabama

Sorry folks, no OLBs in this mix. I believe our first pick goes on Brewster regardless. I see NO finishing between 18-24 and Brewster should still be on the board. The remaining picks depend on who's available, who we think will be available next time we pick, and who's picking around us. Ultimately I see us taking a Center, 3-4 DE that can play the 5 technique well, two big WRs, and a Safety. We only go with one WR if the right guy isn't there and instead take a Safety. This is an excellent year for WR talent and we know Belichick loves to go shopping in twos.

Best case scenario goes something like this:

1a. Michael Brewster
1b. Michael Floyd
2a. Jared Crick
2b. Mohamed Sanu

Lester may very well be available in the 3rd round as the Safety game in college is so much different than the NFL. If he is, he makes a great pick in the 3rd.

Revising my draft as I think I made my last one a little hastily. This is all assuming we don't trade out of any spots. I'm first going to list players I think are on our radar. This is only for the first and second round:

1. Michael Brewster - C - Ohio St
2. Jared Crick - 3-4 DE - Nebraska
3. Kheeston Randall - 3-4 DE - Texas
4. Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame
5. Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M
6. Juron Criner - WR - Arizona
7. Mohamed Sanu - WR - Rutgers
8. T.J. MacDonald - S - USC
9. Robert Lester - S - Alabama

Sorry folks, no OLBs in this mix. I believe our first pick goes on Brewster regardless. I see NO finishing between 18-24 and Brewster should still be on the board. The remaining picks depend on who's available, who we think will be available next time we pick, and who's picking around us. Ultimately I see us taking a Center, 3-4 DE that can play the 5 technique well, two big WRs, and a Safety. We only go with one WR if the right guy isn't there and instead take a Safety. This is an excellent year for WR talent and we know Belichick loves to go shopping in twos.

Best case scenario goes something like this:

1a. Michael Brewster
1b. Michael Floyd
2a. Jared Crick
2b. Mohamed Sanu

Lester may very well be available in the 3rd round as the Safety game in college is so much different than the NFL. If he is, he makes a great pick in the 3rd.

I like all four guys you picked in some ways. Pretty sure Floyd will be top 20 given his play this year. DUI's could cost him. But, I just don't think he lasts until 30. But, if we don't win it all this year. It isn't because of the wr and c positions. It will be because of a lack of talent in our front 7 on the defense. Your draft sounds like something Polian tried to do the last 4 years. Improve a very good offense and ignore the defense. Picks like; A. Gonzalez, D. Brown, T.Ugoh. Your guys will absolutely help us become a better offense. Unfortunately, they won't help us win a championship.

Our Defense isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is and it is only going to get better as our Secondary and Linebackers mature. The part of our D that isn't getting better is the Defensive Line, which is why we need help at the 5 technique DE spot. We will be returning to a 3-4 next year as Belichick cited the lockout as the only reason for switching to the 4-3. I imagine we won't even need the 4-3 as a sub package anymore next year if our recent youth movement acquisitions keep improving.

Our Offense is fantastic but that's also getting older, especially at Wide Receiver and the Interior Offensive Line positions. The WRs and Center we draft this year will be here for the transition out of the Brady era. We need them up to speed before we get a new QB up to speed and this process can take a good 3-4 years.

The only part I'm back and forth on my evaluation of is the Safety position. Is there a huge run on Safetys because of an NFL need in this new found passing attack & use of TEs as pass catchers? Or is it ignored until the late 2nd / early 3rd because the college systems just don't breed good, modern Safetys? There's no more of this FS/SS balogna. You better believe if a team scouts you as not being comfortable lined up on the Strong Side that they are going to motion the TE to your side, and vise versa.

Last edited:
Our Defense isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is and it is only going to get better as our Secondary and Linebackers mature. The part of our D that isn't getting better is the Defensive Line, which is why we need help at the 5 technique DE spot. We will be returning to a 3-4 next year as Belichick cited the lockout as the only reason for switching to the 4-3. I imagine we won't even need the 4-3 as a sub package anymore next year if our recent youth movement acquisitions keep improving.

Our Offense is fantastic but that's also getting older, especially at Wide Receiver and the Interior Offensive Line positions. The WRs and Center we draft this year will be here for the transition out of the Brady era. We need them up to speed before we get a new QB up to speed and this process can take a good 3-4 years.

I agree a 2-gap de should be a target in the 1st round. But, I think that OLB opposite Ninko looks pretty bleak. J. Cunningham just can't get on the field. I'd like to bring A. Carter back even if we go back to the 3-4. He can be very useful as a situational pass-rusher when we go nickel on 2nd and 3rd down. But, he's not really an olb. That's why I'd prefer a guy like Vinny Curry - olb - Marshall.

We'll know long before the draft whether we might go C or not. If we let Koppen walk, even if we keep Connolly. I could see us drafting Brewster. But, don't be shocked if we bring Connolly and Koppen back. I feel the same way about FS. My preference would be to sign a vet who can qb the secondary. Would be nice to get a stud rookie. But, I'm not sure one exists who can fill that role. Agree about wr. Need someone who can get off of the line of scrimmage. I think we target someone in round 2. As you mentioned. maybe double dip and round 3 too.

If Jared Crick does come out, I don't see him going in the 1st round anymore. He is out for the year and he didn't have a good season this yr either.

Helps us.

I think Koppen is gone for sure. There are tons of teams with holes at Center that could potentially throw more money at him than we ever would. Chicago, SF, KC (Wieggman is old) and Dallas come to mind. Connolly will be back, but for RG/C depth purposes. I applaud him for his play this year though.

The problem with Cunningham is he lacks every important characteristic of a 3-4 Jack except for his wing span. No speed, no moves, can't cover, and below average at setting the edge. Our style of 3-4 asks more of our Jack than every other team that uses a 3-4, and even if we just sent Cunningham blitzing every plan he still might not be effective at that. This 1 year transition to the 4-3 is only hurting him some more, too. It's a shame.

Carter is far better off as a 4-3 DE but he would be our best option as a 3-4 OLB. I really wish we would have at least brought in some of the recent 3-4 OLB "busts" during training camp like Maybin, Gholston, and soon to be busts Larry English and Clint Sintim. You never know if you never try and I don't think we had anything to lose by bringing guys like those in for a couple of days.

I think Chung has been tabbed as the leader of our Secondary going forward. I agree that my Michael Floyd pick is a bit optimistic. Jeff Fuller is more likely at that spot.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back