PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Someone needs to make up his mind.

Here you go again being a douche by quoting a post which I have pointed out that I made in haste in a more recent post. Have another GFY.

Also, when it comes to rookies on this team we don't set ourselves up for trial by fire very often. Light was brought back even though we drafted Solder in the 1st. We signed Crumpler even though we drafted Gronk and Hernandez. Solder wouldn't be playing as much as he is without a Vollmer nagging back injury. I'd love to have Koppen back for these reasons, but due to other teams willing to pay him more I don't think it happens.

When it comes to roster decisions it isn't black and white. You take what you can and figure out the rest.

Last edited:
Here you go again being a douche by quoting a post which I have pointed out that I made in haste in a more recent post. Have another GFY.

Find me exactly where you pointed that out.

I was going to provide a direct link, which should be fool proof even for you, but I can't yet. Page 6, post #54, first sentence. It really doesn't matter to me what you say anymore. You post nothing but garbage and you lack intelligence. If this forum had a feature to block your posts it would have been done a long time ago. Instead I'll just be diligent in skipping over the crap you post.

edit: Nevermind. I found the ignore feature. Toodaloo.

Last edited:
So this one:
Revising my draft as I think I made my last one a little hastily.

...which very clearly states that your last mock was made in haste, not the post in which you said Koppen was definitely going to be back, which was in the other thread. And when given the chance to take back what you said about Koppen (because it was absolutely absurd logic), you instead decided to defend it aggressively. That doesn't seem like the kind of person made an incorrect statement out of haste.

Revising my draft as I think I made my last one a little hastily. This is all assuming we don't trade out of any spots. I'm first going to list players I think are on our radar. This is only for the first and second round:

1. Michael Brewster - C - Ohio St
2. Jared Crick - 3-4 DE - Nebraska
3. Kheeston Randall - 3-4 DE - Texas
4. Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame
5. Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M
6. Juron Criner - WR - Arizona
7. Mohamed Sanu - WR - Rutgers
8. T.J. MacDonald - S - USC
9. Robert Lester - S - Alabama

Sorry folks, no OLBs in this mix. I believe our first pick goes on Brewster regardless. I see NO finishing between 18-24 and Brewster should still be on the board. The remaining picks depend on who's available, who we think will be available next time we pick, and who's picking around us. Ultimately I see us taking a Center, 3-4 DE that can play the 5 technique well, two big WRs, and a Safety. We only go with one WR if the right guy isn't there and instead take a Safety. This is an excellent year for WR talent and we know Belichick loves to go shopping in twos.

Best case scenario goes something like this:

1a. Michael Brewster

285995449.jpg

1b. Michael Floyd

539066791.jpg

2a. Jared Crick

164225633.jpg

2b. Mohamed Sanu

529056369.jpg

Lester may very well be available in the 3rd round as the Safety game in college is so much different than the NFL. If he is, he makes a great pick in the 3rd.

Excellent!!

I hope you'll feel free to revise as many times as you please: I, myself, literally had 116 Versions, I think it was, last year, so you won't get any guff from me on THAT account!! :D

Awesome! Thanks for the images by the way. 80% of the fun in projecting drafts is doing them over and over as the seasons and off seasons progress. I look forward to your remaining 115 :D

Revising my draft as I think I made my last one a little hastily. This is all assuming we don't trade out of any spots. I'm first going to list players I think are on our radar. This is only for the first and second round:

1. Michael Brewster - C - Ohio St
2. Jared Crick - 3-4 DE - Nebraska
3. Kheeston Randall - 3-4 DE - Texas
4. Michael Floyd - WR - Notre Dame
5. Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M
6. Juron Criner - WR - Arizona
7. Mohamed Sanu - WR - Rutgers
8. T.J. MacDonald - S - USC
9. Robert Lester - S - Alabama

Sorry folks, no OLBs in this mix. I believe our first pick goes on Brewster regardless. I see NO finishing between 18-24 and Brewster should still be on the board. The remaining picks depend on who's available, who we think will be available next time we pick, and who's picking around us. Ultimately I see us taking a Center, 3-4 DE that can play the 5 technique well, two big WRs, and a Safety. We only go with one WR if the right guy isn't there and instead take a Safety. This is an excellent year for WR talent and we know Belichick loves to go shopping in twos.

Best case scenario goes something like this:

1a. Michael Brewster
1b. Michael Floyd
2a. Jared Crick
2b. Mohamed Sanu

Lester may very well be available in the 3rd round as the Safety game in college is so much different than the NFL. If he is, he makes a great pick in the 3rd.

I like all four guys you picked in some ways. Pretty sure Floyd will be top 20 given his play this year. DUI's could cost him. But, I just don't think he lasts until 30. But, if we don't win it all this year. It isn't because of the wr and c positions. It will be because of a lack of talent in our front 7 on the defense. Your draft sounds like something Polian tried to do the last 4 years. Improve a very good offense and ignore the defense. Picks like; A. Gonzalez, D. Brown, T.Ugoh. Your guys will absolutely help us become a better offense. Unfortunately, they won't help us win a championship.

Our Defense isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is and it is only going to get better as our Secondary and Linebackers mature. The part of our D that isn't getting better is the Defensive Line, which is why we need help at the 5 technique DE spot. We will be returning to a 3-4 next year as Belichick cited the lockout as the only reason for switching to the 4-3. I imagine we won't even need the 4-3 as a sub package anymore next year if our recent youth movement acquisitions keep improving.

Our Offense is fantastic but that's also getting older, especially at Wide Receiver and the Interior Offensive Line positions. The WRs and Center we draft this year will be here for the transition out of the Brady era. We need them up to speed before we get a new QB up to speed and this process can take a good 3-4 years.

The only part I'm back and forth on my evaluation of is the Safety position. Is there a huge run on Safetys because of an NFL need in this new found passing attack & use of TEs as pass catchers? Or is it ignored until the late 2nd / early 3rd because the college systems just don't breed good, modern Safetys? There's no more of this FS/SS balogna. You better believe if a team scouts you as not being comfortable lined up on the Strong Side that they are going to motion the TE to your side, and vise versa.

Philosophically, I agree with Penn Pat Fan.

Regarding the current state of our D, I agree with you.

I wouldn't go the way you're rolling it, but my GOD, we'd have some Fire Power on Offense!! :rocker:

Awesome! Thanks for the images by the way. 80% of the fun in projecting drafts is doing them over and over as the seasons and off seasons progress. I look forward to your remaining 115 :D

You bet!! I love illustrating ~ adds flavor to it!!

And I agree: I LOVE going through all those variations. My GOD, I had a blast, last year!! :D

By the way, I've still got 116 to go: Haven't broke out my first one, yet. :eek:

The problem with Cunningham is he lacks every important characteristic of a 3-4 Jack except for his wing span. No speed, no moves, can't cover, and below average at setting the edge. Our style of 3-4 asks more of our Jack than every other team that uses a 3-4, and even if we just sent Cunningham blitzing every plan he still might not be effective at that. This 1 year transition to the 4-3 is only hurting him some more, too. It's a shame.

Carter is far better off as a 4-3 DE but he would be our best option as a 3-4 OLB. I really wish we would have at least brought in some of the recent 3-4 OLB "busts" during training camp like Maybin, Gholston, and soon to be busts Larry English and Clint Sintim. You never know if you never try and I don't think we had anything to lose by bringing guys like those in for a couple of days.

I'm sorry but we really disagree on Cunningham. Lats year as a 3-4 OLB he basically started the entire year (as a rookie late 2nd rounder), was good against the run, had some key pressures (ravens and indy) but the knock on him was he wasn't an elite pass rusher, he had more hurries/hits than Dunlap but Dunlap had more game changing plays e.g sacks.

We swap to a 4-3 this year and add carter and also Ellis. Both are better suited than cunningham to our New Defense. I personally think cunningham is a good solid OLB but will never be the 10+ sack monster we all want.

I think we are all a bit quick to jump on players when they aren't out there. E.g Spikes (anyone remember the "trade spikes" "spikes is a bust" "Spikes is on his way out" comments from this fan base when he was injured)

Cunningham was injured at the start of the year and the defense has swapped over to one that does not suit him. I believe when we swap back to 3-4 next year or by the end of this year he will be a starting OLB once again.

Last edited:
Cunningham played 4-3 DE for all of college. There's no excuse as to why he is only getting on the field for 1-2 snaps a game. I agree that his presence on the field was better than his stat sheet, but even still that isn't saying much. Honestly, he started at OLB last year because the only person he had to beat out was an old and oft-injured Tully Banta-Cain. I'm not throwing in the towel on him yet, I give everyone at least 3 years. There's rookie 2nd rounder DE/OLBs this year getting on the field more than he is so the lockout isn't an excuse as the Patriots weren't the only team that was locked out.

edit: Also I will never compare Cunningham and Dunlap as they are two completely different players with completely different physical attributes. Dunlap could never play a 3-4 OLB.

Last edited:
*Current Projections*​

The Huddle and Great Blue present two different ~ but clearly equally valid ~ interpretations.

~ Great Blue ranks them based on the PlayOffs theoretically starting today.

~ The Huddle ranks them based on Absolute Record, ignoring current PlayOff standings.

Considering that there are 10 weeks left, and the last 12 spots won't be determined until January and on, both approaches are, for now, obviously equally useful.

Great Blue North Draft Report

1 Indianapolis 0-6 .516
2 Miami 0-5 .567
3 St. Louis 0-5 .580
4 Jacksonville 1-5 .495
5 Carolina 1-5 .516
6 Minnesota 1-5 .604
7 Arizona 1-4 .466
8 Denver 1-4 .607
9 Philadelphia 2-4 .500
10 Cleveland 2-3 .483
11 Seattle 2-3 .489
12 Dallas 2-3 .522
13 Kansas City 2-3 .538
14 Houston 3-3 .418
15 Cleveland 3-3 .468
16 NY Jets 3-3 .511
17 Chicago 3-3 .554
18 Washington 3-2 .422
19 Pittsburgh 4-2 .483
20 Oakland 4-2 .523
21P Tennessee 3-2 .419
22P Cincinnati 4-2 .460
23P New England 4-2 .447
24P Tampa Bay 4-2 .479
25P NY Giants 4-2 .500
26P Buffalo 4-2 .511
27P Baltimore 4-1 .472
28P San Diego 4-1 .511
29P San Francisco 5-1 .465
30P Detroit 5-1 .543
31P New England 5-1 .449
32P Green Bay 6-0 .489

NFL MOCK DRAFT - THE HUDDLE REPORT

1 COLTS 0 0.516
2 DOLPHINS 0 0.567
3 RAMS 0 0.580
4 CARDINALS 1 0.466
5 JAGUARS 1 0.495
6 PANTHERS 1 0.516
7 BRONCOS 1 0.600
8 VIKINGS 1 0.604
9 BROWNS 2 0.483
10 SEAHAWKS 2 0.489
11 EAGLES 2 0.500
12 COWBOYS 2 0.522
13 CHIEFS 2 0.538
14 TEXANS 3 0.418
15 TITANS 3 0.419
16 REDSKINS 3 0.422
17 FALCONS 3 0.468
18 JETS 3 0.511
19 BEARS 3 0.554
20 SAINTS 4 0.447
21 BENGALS 4 0.460
22 RAVENS 4 0.472
23 BUCCANEERS 4 0.479
24 STEELERS 4 0.483
25 GIANTS 4 0.500
26 CHARGERS 4 0.511
27 BILLS 4 0.511
28 RAIDERS 4 0.523
29 PATRIOTS 5 0.449

30 49ERS 5 0.465
31 LIONS 5 0.543
32 PACKERS 6 0.489

So according to GBN's "Playoff" Rankings, we're at:

And according to The Huddles's "Absolute Value" Rankings, we're at:

Obviously, the "PlayOffs start Today" approach will eventually be the only way to go, but by that point, it will presumably be used by both Sites...Meanwhile, the "Absolute" record gives us some intriguing insight that the other doesn't, in my view...Each man can decide for himself which he prefers.

Personally, I'll be checking both.

Re: * Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!!

Tony Pauline of SI has a Top 50 board. Looks pretty good. Has Robert Griffin 3(12) very high. Ahead of Landry Jones(21). Don't really disagree with that. I've always followed OU football and don't think Landry is a sure thing. He has the safeties we've discussed a lot real high. Mark Barron - Bama 9th, TJ McDonald 18th. And, Robert Lester 32. Courtney Upshaw 33. Using his board I'd probably take Upshaw and Ta'amu in the 1st. Looking for a couple of people not on his board we could take in the 2nd. Maybe a guy like much discussed Mike Brewster and Kendall Wright - wr - baylor.

Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson high in midseason NFL draft rankings - Tony Pauline - SI.com

Tony Pauline of SI has a Top 50 board. Looks pretty good. Has Robert Griffin 3(12) very high. Ahead of Landry Jones(21). Don't really disagree with that. I've always followed OU football and don't think Landry is a sure thing. He has the safeties we've discussed a lot real high. Mark Barron - Bama 9th, TJ McDonald 18th. And, Robert Lester 32. Courtney Upshaw 33. Using his board I'd probably take Upshaw and Ta'amu in the 1st. Looking for a couple of people not on his board we could take in the 2nd. Maybe a guy like much discussed Mike Brewster and Kendall Wright - wr - baylor.

Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson high in midseason NFL draft rankings - Tony Pauline - SI.com

Using this board it's time for me to make some trades in my mock draft.

using that top 50 and this a little out dated but still useful draft trade calculator

As far as draft picks i'll give us number 25 for the saints and 32 for the pats pick. Oaklands pick will be 52 i'll say. Leaving us with 25, 32, 52, 64.

Trades: 25 and 96 (836) for 33 and 65 (845)
64 and 65 (535) for 36 (540)

Leaving us with 32, 33, 36, 52

With these picks i would select:

32. Robert Lester, S, Alabama: Saftey to start across from Chung.

33. Courtney Upshaw, DE-OLB, Alabama: DE/OLB just picking on talent at this point as i dont think he has the ideal height e.t.c for BB but i can dream as his production has been great.

36. Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska: Penetrating 3/4 DE who has slipped out of the 1st. I don't know if i am sold on him yet tho but he will do for this initial spot. typical pats pick as he is a 1st round talent who has dropped due to injury.

52. Michael Brewster, C,Ohio St: Hey he wasn't on the top 50 board so i'll take the O-Line value at this pick and service a need while we are at it.

That leaves us with a total position haul of 3-4 DE, OLB, Saftey and a C out of our 1st 4 picks this year. Do what you like with the rest but i'd be ok with this.

That's a heckuva draft. Addresses the front 7 on defense. Gets us that FS we desperately need. And, our C. Light and Waters are both signed for next year. Can you imagine this blocking line with Solder at TE?

Solder-Light-Mankins-Brewster-Waters-Vollmer-Gronk

Bring Gronk in motion right to left with one of those wham blocks and you could put a hole in The Great Wall of China with that left side!!

Only major need in free agency would be WR. Do we go after a big name? Vincent Jackson. Let Ochocinco and Branch walk. Keep Welker of course. Would like to keep A. Carter as situational pass-rusher too. He gets it and seems like a solid guy who has something left in the tank. Get a couple of solid vets for depth at de(3-4) and S. We're ready to repeat.....LOL

That's a heckuva draft. Addresses the front 7 on defense. Gets us that FS we desperately need. And, our C. Light and Waters are both signed for next year. Can you imagine this blocking line with Solder at TE?

Solder-Light-Mankins-Brewster-Waters-Vollmer-Gronk

Bring Gronk in motion right to left with one of those wham blocks and you could put a hole in The Great Wall of China with that left side!!

Only major need in free agency would be WR. Do we go after a big name? Vincent Jackson. Let Ochocinco and Branch walk. Keep Welker of course. Would like to keep A. Carter as situational pass-rusher too. He gets it and seems like a solid guy who has something left in the tank. Get a couple of solid vets for depth at de(3-4) and S. We're ready to repeat.....LOL

Thanks yeah as far as those top 50 rankings the sweet spot seemed to be 30-40.

I disagree slightly with the need for WR's. It's just my opinion but i think we have a very deep WR core supplemented by 2 great receiving TE's. I personally think we are good at least for one more season.

Kendall Wright vs TCU 2011 - YouTube

This guy has very similar body dimensions to Branch, in the mid-late rounds he'd likely be a nice pickup.

Kendall Wright vs TCU 2011 - YouTube

This guy has very similar body dimensions to Branch, in the mid-late rounds he'd likely be a nice pickup.

They'll probably pick up a late pick along the way, but for now, the Pats are done after round 4.

Yes, indeed...But that's what Mocks are for, right? ;)

Philosophically, I'm ALL for sniffing around potential Day 3 guys, as Brother Snake is doing...although I would add that KW looks like a very clear Day 2 guy, at this point.

3 Defenders and 2 Grizzlies with your first 4?? NICE!! :rocker:

*Excellent work, bringing that aboard, Brother Penn Pat Fan. Props. :D

*Current Projections*​

The Huddle and Great Blue present two different ~ but clearly equally valid ~ interpretations.

~ Great Blue ranks them based on the PlayOffs theoretically starting today.

~ The Huddle ranks them based on Absolute Record, ignoring current PlayOff standings.

Great Blue North Report:

1 Indianapolis 0-7 .543
2 St. Louis 0-6 .566
3 Miami 0-6 .580
4 Minnesota 1-6 .598
5 Arizona 1-5 .455
6 Jacksonville 2-5 .500
7 Carolina 2-5 .505
8 Seattle 2-4 .485
9 Philadelphia 2-4 .495
10 Denver 2-4 .578
11 Washington 3-3 .424
12 Tennessee 3-3 .458
13 Cleveland 3-3 .461
14 Dallas 3-3 .485
15 Kansas City 3-3 .524
16 Cleveland 4-3 .468
17 NY Jets 4-3 .500
18 Tampa Bay 4-3 .505
19 Cincinnati 4-3 .539
20 Baltimore 4-2 .471
21P Houston 4-3 .425
22P Chicago 4-3 .542
23P Cincinnati 4-2 .465
24P NY Giants 4-2 .495
25P Buffalo 4-2 .505
26P San Diego 4-2 .519
27P NewEngland 5-2 .450
28P Pittsburgh 5-2 .475
29P Detroit 5-2 .561
30P San Fran 5-1 .434
31P NewEngland 5-1 .455
32P Green Bay 7-0 .486

The Huddle Report isn't up, yet, but this Link may update before I have a chance to report it.

Currently, the "PlayOff" Format Projects These Picks:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back