PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wright to IR, TE Stephen Spach signed [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wright to IR(Merged X2)

Let me get this straight: IR a DLineman, and replace him with a...TE?

We now have only 5 DLinemen and 8 LBs (incl. Izzo and Chad Brown), yet we are carrying 3 QBs, 7 WRs, 3 TEs, and 11 DBs (incl. Baker and E Jackson).

This makes no sense. Our biggest weakness is our old, slow, lousy-tackling front 7, and there is hardly anybody behind the starters who is capable of providing competant relief.

If we lose the SB because our old, slow, lousy-tackling front 7 were worn down and allowed long, TD-producing, time-consuming drives, don't be surprised. Because I won't be.

We now have only 5 DLinemen and 8 LBs (incl. Izzo and Chad Brown), yet we are carrying 3 QBs, 7 WRs, 3 TEs, and 11 DBs (incl. Baker and E Jackson).

This makes no sense. Our biggest weakness is our old, slow, lousy-tackling front 7, and there is hardly anybody behind the starters who is capable of providing competant relief.

If we lose the SB because our old, slow, lousy-tackling front 7 were worn down and allowed long, TD-producing, time-consuming drives, don't be surprised. Because I won't be.

everyone likes to ***** about how old our front 7 is, but outside of bruschi and seau, they aren't terribly old (chad brown doesn't count).

vrable & thomas are in their prime. and the DL avg. age is like 25 or something.

let's please dispense with this myth.

Seymor, Wilfork, Warren, and Green are old and slow?

Only 2 TEs on the roster, one just re-injured his ankle and was out a few weeks the last time and the other IS old....not a lot of suprise in adding a reserve to that position

damn straight

this team is old, lousy and warshed up

:woohoo:

Whatever happened to Marcellus Rivers? He had actually played TE for the team.

Per Chris Price, Spach is also from Fresno. Is it the same school of Mankins?

Also, Wright - 295 lbs and Spach - 250 lbs. Though BB prefers his players playing various roles in the roster, I doubt if Spach is meant to be a substitute for Wright. Or is he?

you won't lose the an because of that. You'll lose the afccg instead.

I doubt the chargers or steelers will beat the pats when one of them makes the AFCCG, at least not as the teams are currently constituted

Whatever happened to Marcellus Rivers? He had actually played TE for the team.

That's what I was thinking too. If the Pats needed a TE, why not just resign Rivers instead of this nobody? Rivers did a fairly good job. ???

Apparently, the patriots prefer Spach to Rivers. We might ask why. Perhaps he is better on special teams. In any case, the undiscussed issue is Watson's health.

Wright's reps will be replaced by DeKevin's, which is fine. Thomas is the DL backup, and is on the Practice Squad. I would think that Moore would be worth having on the Practice Squad.

BTW, is Rivers a "somebody"?

That's what I was thinking too. If the Pats needed a TE, why not just resign Rivers instead of this nobody? Rivers did a fairly good job. ???

Last edited:

Rivers got in to a game this year. He had several drops. He looked terrible. Then he was cut.

Apparently, the patriots prefer Spach to Rivers. We might ask why. Perhaps he is better on special teams. In any case, the undiscussed issue is Watson's health.

Wright's reps will be replaced by DeKevin's, which is fine. Thomas is the DL backup, and is on the Practice Squad. I would think that Moore would be worth having on the Practice Squad.

BTW, is Rivers a "somebody"?

When Rivers played this year he had several drops.

Rivers did a marvelous job in pre-season, but IIRC, his performance in a regular game was underwhelming.

I'd rather have Rashad Moore on the roster than another DE. Wright is an good pass rusher at every position on the line but we need another big NT (like Moore) more than depth at DE since Wright does an awful job spelling Wilfork in the middle on running plays.

LeKevin and Jarvis are fine depth... though I wish we'd have signed Santonio from the PS or one of the two tryouts rather than some no-name TE.

In a pinch Seymour can play NT with Green at end.

LeKevin and Jarvis are fine depth... though I wish we'd have signed Santonio from the PS or one of the two tryouts rather than some no-name TE.

IMO, this could still happen. It's not like signing this scrub TE precludes them from making other roster moves.

I think any of the roster bottom feeders could be cut to make room for Santonio.

Last edited:

In a pinch Seymour can play NT with Green at end.

He actually lined up at NT for a couple snaps in late game nickel packages against the Steelers.

He actually lined up at NT for a couple snaps in late game nickel packages against the Steelers.

with his knee not being 100% he looks to be having trouble getting a good push, which I'd think would be important for a NT. if he was in at nose late in the steelers game I'd guess that BB knew Wright was probably gonna IR and was testing out his options :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back