PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren94

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
What about Ricky Proehl. I know he is on the old side, however he has the experience, hands and would come pretty cheap.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Great idea , because i am worried about our situation on WR , and throw in a good Veteran QB as back up and all will be just fine. Not too excited about Cassel as back up. Peace.

If we use him in the superbowl, the other team will become a dynasty.

I'll pass. But maybe Bioli is not superstitious of such things.

The irony would be too delicious.

Honestly I think that if we get Deion back into the fold that we're pretty set at WR.

Deion Branch - Brady's #1 target lately. He'll continue this roll once he gets his arse into the gameplan.

Troy Brown - We know who he is and what he cn do. He's still in great shape even as he ages. His durability is a concern, but we know what he can do when he's out on the field.

Reche Caldwell - He's proving himself quickly in camp. If he can stay healthy he looks to be a very productive part of our passing game.

Chad Jackson - Rookie. But has shown very impressive things so far. I think he could come in and contribute right away. He has all the talent, he's just got to keep his head in the game. So far it seems like he's lined up to do just that.

Bam Childress/Stone/whoever - will probably only see the field in injury situations.

I think that's a solid group of WRs when you consider that Ben Watson is a recieving threat, Daniel Graham (when healthy) can catch some balls and make plays, Garrett Mills has potential, and Thomas has been catching everything thrown his way in camp.

Add in Faulk (mainly), Dillon, and Maroney then suddenly we're looking at a great deal of very good options in the passing game.

I'm really not worried as long as Deion plays this season.

Sure as long as the first four are palying well and are 100% healthy we'll be fine.

I would much rather have Dwight or Davis instead of Bambam, wouldn't you?

Brownfan80 said:
Honestly I think that if we get Deion back into the fold that we're pretty set at WR.

Deion Branch - Brady's #1 target lately. He'll continue this roll once he gets his arse into the gameplan.

Troy Brown - We know who he is and what he cn do. He's still in great shape even as he ages. His durability is a concern, but we know what he can do when he's out on the field.

Reche Caldwell - He's proving himself quickly in camp. If he can stay healthy he looks to be a very productive part of our passing game.

Chad Jackson - Rookie. But has shown very impressive things so far. I think he could come in and contribute right away. He has all the talent, he's just got to keep his head in the game. So far it seems like he's lined up to do just that.

Bam Childress/Stone/whoever - will probably only see the field in injury situations.

I think that's a solid group of WRs when you consider that Ben Watson is a recieving threat, Daniel Graham (when healthy) can catch some balls and make plays, Garrett Mills has potential, and Thomas has been catching everything thrown his way in camp.

Add in Faulk (mainly), Dillon, and Maroney then suddenly we're looking at a great deal of very good options in the passing game.

I'm really not worried as long as Deion plays this season.

mgteich said:
Sure as long as the first four are palying well and are 100% healthy we'll be fine.

I think having four solid options (strictly at WR) before you get to a guy like Bam is a great situation. Look at last season:

2005-
Deion Branch
David Givens
Troy Brown
Tim Dwight/Andre Davis
Bethel Johnson

2006-
Deion Branch
Reche Caldwell
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson
Bam Childress

The math that I'm seeing is that we went from
Givens to Caldwell (early returns at least indicate a wash, which means nothing I'll grant)
Davis/Dwight to Jackson
Johnson to Childress

Honestly I just see an upgrade.

Dwight was mainly Troy's replacement when he was hurt last season.

Davis mainly ran fly routes much like Johnson.

Johnson mainly sat on the bench and did nothing.

I think that Jackson can do everything that Dwight and Davis did combined plus some. (maybe not right away, but by midseason I'm betting the names Andre Davis and Tim Dwight are long forgotten).

Reche for Givens is a good swap in my opinion as I never thought Givens was as good as his production (there's an article somewhere about how good Givens actually is, and it showed that he wasn't nearly good enough for what he got paid by the Titans).

And by the end of the year last season Childress was playing over Johnson anyway.

I'd say that last year we were far more understocked for talent in our WR pool.

If it takes Jackson a while to get rolling, or if Deion holds out for an extended time, or if Brown gets hurt again, or if Reche regresses (or any combo of those)... then I'll start to worry. But on paper I'd say we're either a wash or possibly better off than last season at WR.

It's not an issue once/if Branch gets his butt back into camp. Brown as the #4 and a young unproven guy at #5 is fine with me given our plethora of TE.

I know this may sound stupid, but if Branch is serious about not playing, Atlanta is desperate for a WR with Finneran out. Maybe something could be done??? If I know the Pats, they are looking at all options.

As far as how set we are with WR, I need to hold my judgement until later. I agree with those that say we do not have depth, which is absolutely crucial to our success. As for what we have, I'll need to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one wouldn't mind at all seeing Ricky Proehl in a pats uniform.With Branch holding out we really only have Troy Brown for our young guys to look to,Caldwell himself really hasn't been around too long.I would feel more assured on 3rd down.That being said,we also need to realize that if branch holds out for long then with Graham being out also right now,there folks,goes our chances of Watson lining up as WR as he will be staying in with Rasby and Thomas to block unless of course Thomas shows enough to line up in the slot or 4th WR.Either way,I'm all for Proehl being brought in.

"Tonight the dynasty is born".......

......for the other team.

NEM said:
Proehl only looks good against the Patriots, in Super Bowls. :D
catching a TD pass late in the fourth quarter while being defended by a Patriot who was out of position and wearing #22.

Brownfan80 said:
I think having four solid options (strictly at WR) before you get to a guy like Bam is a great situation. Look at last season:

2005-
Deion Branch
David Givens
Troy Brown
Tim Dwight/Andre Davis
Bethel Johnson

2006-
Deion Branch
Reche Caldwell
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson
Bam Childress

The math that I'm seeing is that we went from
Givens to Caldwell (early returns at least indicate a wash, which means nothing I'll grant)
Davis/Dwight to Jackson
Johnson to Childress

Honestly I just see an upgrade.

Dwight was mainly Troy's replacement when he was hurt last season.

Davis mainly ran fly routes much like Johnson.

Johnson mainly sat on the bench and did nothing.

I think that Jackson can do everything that Dwight and Davis did combined plus some. (maybe not right away, but by midseason I'm betting the names Andre Davis and Tim Dwight are long forgotten).

Reche for Givens is a good swap in my opinion as I never thought Givens was as good as his production (there's an article somewhere about how good Givens actually is, and it showed that he wasn't nearly good enough for what he got paid by the Titans).

And by the end of the year last season Childress was playing over Johnson anyway.

I'd say that last year we were far more understocked for talent in our WR pool.

If it takes Jackson a while to get rolling, or if Deion holds out for an extended time, or if Brown gets hurt again, or if Reche regresses (or any combo of those)... then I'll start to worry. But on paper I'd say we're either a wash or possibly better off than last season at WR.

I agree with you BF80. 4 Wr's with Bam on the PS works well for me also. The TE squad plus the deep RB situation gives us a different depth than in years past. Given the great depth now on OL, it looks like the Pats are loading up on a tremendous power game offense. The ratio of passes-to-running plays will definitely change this year and they simply don't need (barring injuries or Branch holdouts) anyone else at this point at WR. I'd rather they keep all of Thomas, Mills and Pass than keep a 5th WR.

I'm not sure about the D, but this could be the greatest Pats O ever.

Last edited:
Gopats!!! said:
I know this may sound stupid, but if Branch is serious about not playing, Atlanta is desperate for a WR with Finneran out.
Chill. Don't panic. Don't make moves just because things are not going fast enough to your liking. Let situations play out

Gopats!!! said:
I agree with those that say we do not have depth, which is absolutely crucial to our success. As for what we have, I'll need to wait and see.
What depth did we have in 2001? In 2003 (Training camp, not post season)

Gopats!!! said:
As for what we have, I'll need to wait and see.
Exactly. All this fussing everyone is doing is based on the assumptin that no one will step up. We went through this in 2003. Givens had had an entire rookie season of drops. We were all concerned about WR depth. No one, NO ONE, figured that Givens would turn out as he did. And few were inpressed with patten, either.

For years the Patriots sucked. Years and years. Now we have a coach and personnel guy who have turned the Patriots into perrrenial contenders, and we have no faith in what they are doing? What are we? A forum of Felgers?

Believe me, I have absolute faith!!!! I am one of the "IN BILL WE TRUST" guys!! I don't care what is going on, the Pats make it happen!!! I didn't mean to give the impression that we are in trouble. We have a ton going for us.

I can't stand the doom and gloom attitude from yesteryears (you can still find them today!). That doesn't mean we don't have weaknesses however, just that we will overcome them!! :)

:rocker: ROCK ON PATS!!!!!!!!

BF80,

I'm glad that someone else feels as I do. This crew of WRs may not have proved themselves YET, but it has much more talent than any I can remember any Patriot team having.

Givesn was a gutty 6'0 215. But no one ever accused him of having great speed.

When, not if, this WR crew gets down to business, Givens would have a tough time being much more than a #4 or #5 WR amidst this crew.

Is Givens better than Deon who people forget is still under contract ? NO.

Is he better than Reche Caldwell? He has had more production but talent wise Reche is far above him. Size, speed, hands and bodycontrol go to Reche. Injury has held Reche back, but he's healthy now. Remember, Reche in his third season was on course for a 78 catch, 1200 yard year before injury. NO.

Is he better than Jackson? Givens certainly is more experienced, But Jackson has size, speed, hands, and body control advantages. Eventually... NO.

Is he better than Troy Brown? Givens is younger, and Troy was playing both ways as a WR and as a DB. Troy still caught 40 balls compared to Givens' 60 What would Troy have done full time? Tossup, but... NO.

Last edited:
mgteich said:

Yes, I would; especially Dwight.
Besides Proehl, Kevin Johnson and Az Hakim seem to be the only available WRs with some experience.
Can anybody think of any other WRs in whom you would like to bring for a look-see?

spacecrime said:
What are we? A forum of Felgers?

Classic.........:rofl:

captain stone said:
Yes, I would; especially Dwight.
Besides Proehl, Kevin Johnson and Az Hakim seem to be the only available WRs with some experience.
Can anybody think of any other WRs in whom you would like to bring for a look-see?

As I mentioned earlier, based on both salary and depth chart position, we didn't trade Davis or Dwight for Bam, we traded BETHEL's roster spot (final WR) for Bam's roster spot (final WR).

I think that in place of Davis/Dwight we're seeing Jackson in their roster spot/pay scale. No? And if that's the case, how can we not say it's an upgrade?

OK, we'll do it your way.

RECEIVERS
THEN: Branch,Givens,Brown,Davis
NOW: Branch,Caldwell,Brown,Jackson

Is Caldwell and Jackson an upgrade in 2006; that depends on Caldwell coming back from injuries, and Jackson being much better then recent first round wideouts in his first year.

RETURNERS
THEN: Johnson, Dwight
NOW: Childress, Andrews

Is Childress and Andrews really an upgrade over Johnson and Andrews?
It could happen. I expect either Jackson and/or Maroney to be returners or for us to pick up someone.

Brownfan80 said:
As I mentioned earlier, based on both salary and depth chart position, we didn't trade Davis or Dwight for Bam, we traded BETHEL's roster spot (final WR) for Bam's roster spot (final WR).

I think that in place of Davis/Dwight we're seeing Jackson in their roster spot/pay scale. No? And if that's the case, how can we not say it's an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST