PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wr

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think we replaced Givens. Caldwell + Jackson i think is better than Givens combined so thats set..we just need to get a little more solid depth incase injuries..someone who can start if called upon

I really think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit with Caldwell. Not sure he's the player everybody seems to think he is after 4 days of camp.

Also Troy has step at least a step and a half since last season. Unless he's taking it super easy, because most of his competition have hands of solid stone.

Brownfan80 said:
As I mentioned earlier, based on both salary and depth chart position, we didn't trade Davis or Dwight for Bam, we traded BETHEL's roster spot (final WR) for Bam's roster spot (final WR).

I think that in place of Davis/Dwight we're seeing Jackson in their roster spot/pay scale. No? And if that's the case, how can we not say it's an upgrade?

I would agree that it's a possible upgrade, if Tim Dwight were still here. As of now, however, Branch and Brown are your only proven pass-catchers. I'm sure Jackson will turn out fine, but Caldwell has shown very little his 4 years in the league, and Childress is a complete mystery. And keep those fingers crossed, to help ward off the injury bug. I shudder to think of the alternative...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Caldwell's physical talents or abilities have ever been questioned or been his hindrance. It has always been his fragility (word of the day..hey..tight is being overused) that doesn't allow him to stay on the field.

mgteich said:
OK, we'll do it your way.

RECEIVERS
THEN: Branch,Givens,Brown,Davis
NOW: Branch,Caldwell,Brown,Jackson

Is Caldwell and Jackson an upgrade in 2006; that depends on Caldwell coming back from injuries, and Jackson being much better then recent first round wideouts in his first year.

RETURNERS
THEN: Johnson, Dwight
NOW: Childress, Andrews

Is Childress and Andrews really an upgrade over Johnson and Andrews?
It could happen. I expect either Jackson and/or Maroney to be returners or for us to pick up someone.

Right now all we're talking about is potential I suppose, so it's "possible upgrade" regardless, but I believe what we have now has the potential to be much better than what we had last year.

I think Jackson represents a major upgrade of raw talent, and he seems determined to put it to good use. I'll take one Jackson over a three man group of Givens, Dwight and Davis anyday. I think the Titans will see Givens' production drop considerably without Tom Brady throwing him the passes.

Bethel was a throwaway so he's an automatic upgrade by reduction anyway. Childress is a wildcard. Health is a wildcard. But I feel much more comfortable now than I did last season with Dwight and Davis catching passes. (with Mills, Thomas, Watson, Graham, Faulk in the equation).

It's just a personal gut feeling, but I'm stoked.

We're all homers here. We are very confident regard our group of four receivers, if they are healthy.

However are you equally stoked regard improving our return game by replacing Bethel Johnson and Dwight with Childress and Andrews? To put it another way, wouldn't you rather be in the position to have all four competing for the two return roster spots?

Brownfan80 said:
Right now all we're talking about is potential I suppose, so it's "possible upgrade" regardless, but I believe what we have now has the potential to be much better than what we had last year.

I think Jackson represents a major upgrade of raw talent, and he seems determined to put it to good use. I'll take one Jackson over a three man group of Givens, Dwight and Davis anyday. I think the Titans will see Givens' production drop considerably without Tom Brady throwing him the passes.

Bethel was a throwaway so he's an automatic upgrade by reduction anyway. Childress is a wildcard. Health is a wildcard. But I feel much more comfortable now than I did last season with Dwight and Davis catching passes. (with Mills, Thomas, Watson, Graham, Faulk in the equation).

It's just a personal gut feeling, but I'm stoked.

I do think we'll miss Dwight in the return game, but he was not used there exclusively for whatever reason last season, so there must have been a reason they held him out of that part of the game (though every time he was in at PR he seemed to make a big play). As far as Johnson, he hadn't done anything special as a KR in over a year and a half, and couldn't be used as a PR.

Andrews is a rookie, so I'm sure he'll make his share of mistakes, but from what I hear he was very good at PR and KR in college, so at least he's a double study. And it's not like he'll be playing much regular D (WE HOPE) so it'll relieve guys like Troy or Deion or Faulk or Hobbs from having to take extra snaps and risking further injury.

I don't know if Childress is being used as a KR/PR, so I can't really comment on him.

EDIT: Besides, isn't Chad Morton still floating around out there some place if we need another KR? lol (kidding)

mgteich said:
We're all homers here. We are very confident regard our group of four receivers, if they are healthy.

However are you equally stoked regard improving our return game by replacing Bethel Johnson and Dwight with Childress and Andrews? To put it another way, wouldn't you rather be in the position to have all four competing for the two return roster spots?

Last edited:
Well for this "upgrade" you're talking about Branch needs to be in uniform and playing for the Pats. I just want him to play, even 1 year is fine with me.

Without Branch the Pats are kinda hurting at WR. With him, I think they have upgraded the WR corps. Jackson+Caldwell can be as good as Givens if not better.

AzPatsFan said:
When, not if, this WR crew gets down to business, Givens would have a tough time being much more than a #4 or #5 WR amidst this crew.

Is Givens better than Deon who people forget is still under contract ? NO.

Is he better than Reche Caldwell? He has had more production but talent wise Reche is far above him. Size, speed, hands and bodycontrol go to Reche. Injury has held Reche back, but he's healthy now. Remember, Reche in his third season was on course for a 78 catch, 1200 yard year before injury. NO.

Is he better than Jackson? Givens certainly is more experienced, But Jackson has size, speed, hands, and body control advantages. Eventually... NO.

Is he better than Troy Brown? Givens is younger, and Troy was playing both ways as a WR and as a DB. Troy still caught 40 balls compared to Givens' 60 What would Troy have done full time? Tossup, but... NO.

WOW. I can't agree with that. I see Givens as clearly superior to everyone you named except for Deion. That doesn't mean we should have overpaid for him or that one of the youngsters won't end up better than DG, but as of today I would take Givens over any of the guys you listed (again, except for Deion) if money was not an issue. I'm speaking purely performance abilities as of today and projected into the 2006 season.

mgcolby said:
I don't think Caldwell's physical talents or abilities have ever been questioned or been his hindrance. It has always been his fragility (word of the day..hey..tight is being overused) that doesn't allow him to stay on the field.

Caldwell is only slight more fragile than Branch, though I am sure that could be debateable. Caldwell had his knee injury and then a wrist injury back in his sophomore year. He's had a calf injury last year, though it didn't keep him from playing and he also had a hamstring injury his rookie year that also didn't keep him from playing. I don't see how that could lead to someone being considered injury prone.

Injury prone is someone like Adrian Klemm who, for the 5thor 6th time in 7 years, is on the IR. THAT is injury prone.

Physical Football Players always have bumps and bruises. There are ones who play through it, as Caldwell has when it hasn't been serious, and ones that can't, like Klemm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News