PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
sarge said:
What can the Pats really do at this point?

It is of course to early to tell. I know this. But I saw nothing out there from this receiving core (the receivers, the tight ends and backs looked good).

Reche's drop in the endzone was just that. A drop. Don't give me any crap about it wasn't a perfect pass. Brady hit him right in the hands. Did he split the 8 and 7 on his jersey? No. But he hit him right in the hands. And Caldwell dropped it. Very Todd Pinkstonesque of him. Looked like he washearing footsteps.

I saw nothing else.

Even if they somehow get Branch in this season, which I do not believe will happen till week 10 in the regular season, their receiving core will not be as good as last season.

Fortunately the running game will be good. But teams are gonna key on that.

What options are out there???

We can only hope that Jackson somehow makes it on the field and does something that virtually no rookie receivers, to say nothing of rookie receivers who miss significant camp time, ever do. And that is become productive in there first season.

And Possibly Caldwell just had a bad case of nerves and will prove that that drop was the exception and not the rule.

So, from one game you have already determined our WR's will not be as good as last year?

I prefer to look at things a little differently....let's say Deion does come back, Let's figure that Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell and the rookie Jackson all stay healthy and contribute nicely....seems to me that will be better production from the position than last year for sure. Further, even if Deion does not come back, then it is possible with maybe one of the other "no names" developing a little, that we could do better than last year. Also, we could also pick someone up that is waived at any time. SO there is a long way to go.
Keep in mind, last year was not exactly a gold standard for WR production. Oh and by they way, we did pass for over 300 yards last night - not bad.

All I am really saying is after one pre season game, it is way to early to make judgements.

Last edited:
dhamz said:
The Lions are thinking seriously about cutting those guys if you believe the word coming out of Detroit.

And yet their are posts about trading a day 1 pick for one of them? That is just crazy talk.
I don't think Mike Williams will be cut. If you want to take a shot at Charles Rogers' problems and compete with others to sign him then, sure, wait them out. But if they would keep Rogers over Williams if a decent draft pick is traded, I would do it. Williams is slow but he's big and strong, he and Jackson with Caldwell #3 and Brown #4 would be a nice group.

Rogers and Williams will not be Pats because of salary cap and serious character issue reasons.

The young WRs from Detroit who might be helpful are Devale Ellis, Shaun Bodiford, and Glenn Martinez. Barring injuries, one or two of them will be waived.

Martinez is a tall, fast special teams demon who works his rear off but drops passes in games. Ellis and Bodiford are small, fast types who fit the pats style. Both are rookies. Bodiford will likely make the Lions.

The most probable trade, albeit unlikely, would be one of them for a conditional pick or a reserve cornerback because the Lions have serious depth issues at corner.

Any of the three would help the Pats more than the refuse that is Rogers and Williams.

fgssand said:
So, from one game you have already determined our WR's will not be as good as last year?

I prefer to look at things a little differently....let's say Deion does come back, Let's figure that Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell and the rookie Jackson all stay healthy and contribute nicely....seems to me that will be better production from the position than last year for sure. Further, even if Deion does not come back, then it is possible with maybe one of the other "no names" developing a little, that we could do better than last year. Also, we could also pick someone up that is waived at any time. SO there is a long way to go.
Keep in mind, last year was not exactly a gold standard for WR production. Oh and by they way, we did pass for over 300 yards last night - not bad.

All I am really saying is after one pre season game, it is way to early to make judgements.

We'll get what the Chargers got out of Caldwell. Maybe a little more, but nothing approaching what Givens gave the offense.

patpatriot said:
If as reported, Bramch is committed to holding out until game 10, your only real choices are to guarantee not to Franchise him which should trigger his reporting or make the best deal you can for him now. Since I want to win *this* year I'd get him in camp even though I knew he would walk next year.

Wow, I completely disagree. I wouldn't pursue a trade unless it was seriously attractive, and I wouldn't guarantee not to franchise under any circumstances. NO WAY. What good is the franchise tag at all if players can erase it with a threat like this? That tag option is enormously valuable to the team, it's often the only leverage you have to try to resign FAs for the long term.

Branch is making a dangerous threat because actually waiting until game 10 would be a terrible, terrible outcome for him. He'd throw away a ton of money, undermine his stats and gain a reputation as a troublemaker...all for absolutely nothing. He'd still have no contract and be looking at the franchise tag. He's basically making the threat: "do what I want or I'll shoot myself."

So back to the question of what to do. In descending order, I'd say:

Option 1: Sign Branch to a long-term contract

Option 2: Pursue modest trades for vet WRs

(note that 1 and 2 aren't mutually exclusive)

Option 3: Grit your teeth, let Branch sit for 9 games if he's crazy enough to do so, then franchise him next year. It's not a pretty picture, but beats trading him for pennies on the dollar or giving up your franchise rights.

Pass to Caldwell is deflected at line of scrimmage off of DL helmet, ball is wobbling on the way to the reciever--I am looking at a frame by frame of a recording of the HD broadcast--at regular slowmotion you cant see it, partly because Brady threw the ball so hard. p.s. I want Caldwell to be a solid reciever...

sarge said:
What can the Pats really do at this point?

It is of course to early to tell. I know this. But I saw nothing out there from this receiving core (the receivers, the tight ends and backs looked good).

Reche's drop in the endzone was just that. A drop. Don't give me any crap about it wasn't a perfect pass. Brady hit him right in the hands. Did he split the 8 and 7 on his jersey? No. But he hit him right in the hands. And Caldwell dropped it. Very Todd Pinkstonesque of him. Looked like he washearing footsteps.

I thought the defender got a hand on the ball. Am I the only one who saw it that way?

BTT said:
Pass to Caldwell is deflected at line of scrimmage off of DL helmet, ball is wobbling on the way to the reciever--I am looking at a frame by frame of a recording of the HD broadcast--at regular slowmotion you cant see it, partly because Brady threw the ball so hard. p.s. I want Caldwell to be a solid reciever...

I'll be damned. You're right (although I think it actually deflected off his arm/shoulder)

I recorded it on my DVR. It isn't high def.
I can't see it strike the defensive lineman precisely because the quality isn't good enough to tell. The ball and the linemans shoulder are blurry at this point. But in the slow motion replay, you can see the path of the ball altered as it goes past the defensive lineman, and the ball does have an awful lot of wobble on it as it just makes it past the defensive linemen.

I still think he should have caught it considering it did hit nim in the hands, but I won't call it a drop anymore.

And I just rewatched the one catch he did have. For some reason when thinking back I had thought he bobbled it before catching it. After rewatching the replay, he snatched it out of the air well, no bobble.

So I will cut him some slack for the incomplete. Deflections at the line of scrimmage to me are something that really can't be blamed on anyone. A QB can't be trying to pay attention to whether a linemen is going to put his arm up. That is just too much information to process.

So what I am left with is what Caldwell did in SD.

Let's see if he can make some new history here.

SoonerPatriot said:
We'll get what the Chargers got out of Caldwell. Maybe a little more, but nothing approaching what Givens gave the offense.

Of course you very well may be right, But, let's hope he stays healthy and we get a lot more. This is a great opportunity for Reche to have a good year and then be in position to get a decent contract.

Who knows, maybe he does put it all together, I for one, would not be shocked at all if he does.

BTT said:

Thank you!! Great info. I really thought something was funny with that ball...like others, I thought perhaps the db had reached a hand in.

I was watching the game. It was a deep down the field catch. Watson just flat out beat his man and was wide open. I think he got some RAC too but it was mostly the deep route and catch. This kid's gonna be exciting and Brady likes him which is a good sign.

That being said I agree that Watson is a TE and not a WR and should be used as such.

I think the Pats might just have to go double TE set just because they don't have a lot in terms of receivers.

But the nice side benefit of the double tight end set is it is also a great formation to run out of which keeps the defense guessing. If they cheat to pass protection you can gash em with big runs. And this year's Pats team looks like it has the talent to make big yardage on the ground with Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, and that new kid Cobbs.

JoeSixPat said:
I know everyone's going to probably say that Watson is now a WR - especially with a 44 yd reception (which I did not see - was it yards after the catch or an actual deep route?)

Dragda said:
Go back and rewatch the game. How many drops did he have?

Two, I believe, out of 3 thrown to him. On his other drop, he looked at the QB (still Brady, I think) as soon as it happened, as if it were the QB's fault that he had to leave his feet to make the (non)catch. As for the (non)TD pass, the fact that the ball was deflected, therefore not travelling as fast, yet still hit his hands, increases Caldwell's culpability. The bottom line is that Reche needs to step up next week, otherwise...

To answer the question, what can be done, I would send more balls Bam Childress' way. Cassell made a terrible throw, which Bam nearly caught, on which he was wide open. That would have been a huge gain. The rest of them = worthless. There are not many FA options who are healthy, so any outsourcing would have to come via trade. Remember, the FO traded for Ted Washington more than halfway through the preseason in 2003.

It definitely looks like the 53 will include, at most, 5 WRs: Branch(??), Troy, Jackson(?), Caldwell and possibly Childress. If...if...all of them are good to go by Game 1, that could be good enough. If not...

VJCPatriot said:
I was watching the game. It was a deep down the field catch. Watson just flat out beat his man and was wide open. I think he got some RAC too but it was mostly the deep route and catch. This kid's gonna be exciting and Brady likes him which is a good sign.

That being said I agree that Watson is a TE and not a WR and should be used as such.

I think the Pats might just have to go double TE set just because they don't have a lot in terms of receivers.

But the nice side benefit of the double tight end set is it is also a great formation to run out of which keeps the defense guessing. If they cheat to pass protection you can gash em with big runs. And this year's Pats team looks like it has the talent to make big yardage on the ground with Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, and that new kid Cobbs.

Thanks VJC - I was dying to know what happened there.

That's a good report that Watson was able to beat his man going long - regardless of whether it was a 2nd string defender or not.

Ultimately, Watson clearly can beat people deep - but the advantange is really held in that the defense doesn't know if he's coming in as a TE or WR - and as such, really should be used as a TE most often, so that they are that much more off guard.

patchick said:
Wow, I completely disagree. I wouldn't pursue a trade unless it was seriously attractive, and I wouldn't guarantee not to franchise under any circumstances. NO WAY. What good is the franchise tag at all if players can erase it with a threat like this? That tag option is enormously valuable to the team, it's often the only leverage you have to try to resign FAs for the long term.

Branch is making a dangerous threat because actually waiting until game 10 would be a terrible, terrible outcome for him. He'd throw away a ton of money, undermine his stats and gain a reputation as a troublemaker...all for absolutely nothing. He'd still have no contract and be looking at the franchise tag. He's basically making the threat: "do what I want or I'll shoot myself."

So back to the question of what to do. In descending order, I'd say:

Option 1: Sign Branch to a long-term contract

Option 2: Pursue modest trades for vet WRs

(note that 1 and 2 aren't mutually exclusive)

Option 3: Grit your teeth, let Branch sit for 9 games if he's crazy enough to do so, then franchise him next year. It's not a pretty picture, but beats trading him for pennies on the dollar or giving up your franchise rights.

Another great post, Patchick. What she said!

Re: Best Team Ever

NEM said:
Our WR corps will be more than fine, with Branch, Jackson and Troy onthe field, along with Reche, and dont forget, Watson at TE is as good as a WR, as can be Graham.
Dont worry, this will be the BEST Pats team, especially the offense, ever to be put on a field together....NOT TO WORRY.....

i agree, the WRs will come together. there's alwas a good veteran receiver on the waiver wire in ze last week of august.
caldwell might be one of those 5-year vets with about a 50% chance of breaking out. we got experience with those talented, high potential WRs too. bethel has returned. cafardo noted he's had the dropsies when he came here from SD. IMO we'll get about 25 catches (some circus, others gamebreakers). jackson will be good for a rookie, maybe 35 catches. branch will sign the last week of training camp, and be completely plugged in by week 4. he'll only ring up about 60 catches this season. troy will do it up the middle of the field again, 20-25 catches.
then ya got a lot of TE-HB types, all with speed. i got no idea how all that will turn out. but those 4, graham, mills, thomas, watson, could very well turn the league inside out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft