PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What player on the team are you looking forward to watching the most this season?

StrawHatPatriot

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I will go with Christian Gonzalez. I know it's a generic answer (1st round pick), but if he can have a Sauce Gardner-type rookie season that would be HUGE for our defense. An elite corner is pretty damn helpful given the receivers on our schedule.

I'm going to say 2: Gesicki & Thornton

Both of these guys should be an improvement in the "size & speed" threat of our offense - especially in the RZ where we were horrible last season. If DHop comes, Thornton will get back-burnered, and that will be disappointing. But, He may have a shot to develop more if Bourne has his typical mental errors, and JSS is just average (likely)

I'll say Gesicki on offense. I saw this guy do so much against the Pats over the last few years... I'm hoping we come up with some kind of good two TE offensive schemes. I'm still ticked about how badly they blew it with Henry and Smith. They spent a lot of $$$ and had no idea of how to use them.

Mapu on defense. I know next to nothing on the guy, but the highlights are really intriguing. I'm curious how they're going to use him - hoping for sideline-to-sideline LB duties.

Marcus.

Thread over what do I win?

Mac is the one and it's not close. A lot rides on this season from Mac. The domino effect for the team not just on this season but years to come is too monumental.

As for non-Mac players...

I'd say his new targets Gesicki and Juju. A certain FA would be the guy if he signs here though.

I'm anxiously awaiting watching Mac Jones this season. Hopefully BOB can bring out the best in him. On the defensive side, I'm looking forward to Gonzales. He's my early choice for Defensive ROY.

• Looking forward with normal level of optimism: Stevenson, Smith-Shuster, Bourne, Strange, Onwenu, White, Judon, Gonzalez. Duggar.

• Looking forward with trepidation: Mac, Thornton, Anderson, Brown, Barmore, every LB on the roster, and Jack Jones

Marcus Jones

Offense - Thornton. That speed shouldn't be wasted. Of course, I was rooting for Tony Simmons and Bethel Johnson, so ...

Defense - Uche. While I did lean to Barmore for breakout, if Uche can step up a level it gives the D two pass rushing weapons that can be stacked or split. Anything to make it tough on the opponent's line is good in my book.

Teams - Schooler. To see him carry the tourch held by Slater would be great.

All of them…

on offense, Mac of course, as it all goes through him. After him the OL to see how things shake out there, and to see how Coach Klemm channels to ghost of Scar.

on defense, primarily Jack Jones and how he puts distractions aside and focuses on playing CB at a stellar level, or doesn’t. After him, how new additions blend with existing vets, especially the rookies: Gonzo, Mapu, White, and a dark horse long shot, Isaiah Bolden.

Marcus Jones on punt returns. He's probs the only exciting player on the team. Maybe Stevenson will break a long td, but other than that there's not much excitement on offense.

Jack Jones. I like prison dramas.

Offense: Juju
Defense: Mapu
Special Teams: Ryland
Offense to me it's Mac, defense is gonzo, STs I'm going to go with Marcus..

A football purist will tell you it’s Kyle Duggar on defense and Cole Strange on offense.

Around the League people are, if possible, even higher on Duggar than we are here.

He won’t be easy to resign.

Duggar is spectacular in run support and increasingly proficient in pass coverage. His length and recovery speed are elite.

We are looking at a possible top 25 player in the whole NFL.

And I look forward to massive improvement from elite athlete Cole Strange and some “colorful” blocks, aka, absolute domination.

I was thinking about starting a thread about Tyquan Thornton... was thinking about what a successful season for him would be... So I guess I am going to say Thornton

I get the knock on him because of his rail-like thinness... But at the same time I hope between last year and camp this year he's learning how to transition his speed into performance... Good route running will help with his separation...

I know he's not Edelman but he should be studying him just for that reason... With his speed, and the ability to separate, which jules excelled at, any catch could be yard gobblingly exciting...

The second is not a player per se, but the secondary unit... Looking forward to seeing if the progress they made last year can be sustained...

A football purist will tell you it’s Kyle Duggar on defense and Cole Strange on offense.

Around the League people are, if possible, even higher on Duggar than we are here.

He won’t be easy to resign.

Duggar is spectacular in run support and increasingly proficient in pass coverage. His length and recovery speed are elite.

We are looking at a possible top 25 player in the whole NFL.

And I look forward to massive improvement from elite athlete Cole Strange and some “colorful” blocks, aka, absolute domination.

Agreed. Flowers should be great too but not that great in coverage. Hopefully Mapu improves sideline-to-sideline RB and TE coverage ( what Wilson was supposed to do). If Jack J avoids prison it is a talented group. We have lots of cap space to sign Duggar and Uche. I think Onwenu will leave.

Hard to pick a standout defensive player because we have so many that should step up. Mac is the greatest need to shine on offense. I think offensive tackle is the greatest question mark.

Mac Jones. Lots of money at stake for him. He either earns a 5th year option or he has to bet on himself getting the Franchise Tag the following year.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back