PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Jason Avant Released By Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather give thompkins another year. He wasn't awful for an UDFA ROOKIE. Another year in the offence I think he can get 600-700 yards and 5-7 tds. He came though in the saints game, big time play.

Geez...anything but this option for me.

I think that Thompkins will be given the opportunity to earn a roster spot just like anyone else, but if he does make it, we won't be seeing anything close to as much as we did last season, and would be a depth option at best.

You're talking about a WR who looked very limited a lot of the time talent-wise, couldn't beat man coverage whatsoever, didn't do anything in the YAC game, didn't earn Brady's trust (outside of maybe your example of the N.O. game on a glorified short field version of a hail mary), and had a total of 11 receptions in the 3 month span from mid-October through mid-January.

If he's not a perfect candidate for an instant upgrade, I don't know what to think.

How much resources would you spend on upgrading the critical #4 WR position?

#1 Edelman
#2 Dobson
#3 Amendola
#4 Thompkins
#5 Collie (or another free agent)

Geez...anything but this option for me.

I think that Thompkins will be given the opportunity to earn a roster spot just like anyone else, but if he does make it, we won't be seeing anything close to as much as we did last season, and would be a depth option at best.

You're talking about a WR who looked very limited a lot of the time talent-wise, couldn't beat man coverage whatsoever, didn't do anything in the YAC game, didn't earn Brady's trust (outside of maybe your example of the N.O. game on a glorified short field version of a hail mary), and had a total of 11 receptions in the 3 month span from mid-October through mid-January.

If he's not a perfect candidate for an instant upgrade, I don't know what to think.

#1 Edelman
#2 Dobson
#3 Amendola
#4 Thompkins

I would like to see the usual amount of lower/mid (at its highest) level competition brought in.

Last year it was the likes of Donald Jones, Lavelle Hawkins, etc.

This year a guy like Jason Avant, Jerricho Cotchery, etc could be a God send.

#1 Edelman
#2 Dobson
#3 Amendola
#4 Thompkins

I find it interesting that a few posts ago, you referred to it as a WR3 and claimed that it had worth, yet now it's suddenly the "critical" (sarcastically) WR4 position? What happened in the last 5 posts?

The truth is that we have absolutely no idea whether or not Edelman will be staying, which would instantly push the WR3 position up to WR1, and WR2 (who is currently waiting to find out if he will need surgery on his foot, not to mention the fact that he's also a rookie from last season) would need to have competition for if/when he'll miss time.

The whole entire WR corps needs to be improved. How they do that is Bill Belichick's job. He makes 8+ million per year to figure that out. Last year 4 of our WRs were in the bottom 30% of the entire NFL in drops, and our WR position sucked. It may have cost us an opportunity at another Super Bowl. That needs to be fixed as soon as possible, and the middle of the depth chart is still a key area.

And why would this mean that we would have no interest?

Even with Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson, we need a #4 and a #5. If Avant is a #3 at best, then he is good enough to be a backup.

I see no problem bringing in several at his level to compete for the two backup spots with what we have a perhaps with a rookie.

I also see no problem with having bottom of the roster players over 30. These are basically rent-a-players. We bring them in to camp and hope that they make the squad for a year. Once in awhile we get a keeper.

Belichick builds a 90 man squad and then more than 1/3 don't make the squad. It is unreasonable to expect every free agent signing to be a productive one.

We will have several signing at key positions, but these are relatively few.

#1 Edelman
#2 Dobson
#3 Amendola
#4 Thompkins

:confused:

this is not a good free agent WR market at lest not for players in the pats price range, lets hope teams cut better players then Jason Avant cause IMO his the type of guy that will not have a pass thrown his way from week 13 on

this is not a good free agent WR market at lest not for players in the pats price range, lets hope teams cut better players then Jason Avant cause IMO his the type of guy that will not have a pass thrown his way from week 13 on

You may very well be right, but there certainly needs to be some higher quality competition at the position this season, one way or another.

What specific players those are could be anyone's guess. I would not be opposed to a vet like Avant who has caught 50+ passes in 3 straight years prior to 2013's 38 receptions. He's reportedly an excellent leader, high-quality kind of guy. Of course, the concern is that the talent isn't sufficient enough, and that is definitely valid.

I could certainly see an upgrade vs a guy like Thompkins though, as long as the money was right, of course.

I've always like Dexter Mccluster out of KC as a weapon type guy....looks like he may come a little cheap

#1 Edelman
#2 Dobson
#3 Amendola
#4 Thompkins

The whole receiving corp needs to be upgraded, especially with Edelman unsigned. I'd spend a 1st or 2nd in this years draft, maybe sign Golden Tate or Andre Roberts. I don't think Avant is much of an upgrade if at all and wouldn't sign him for anything much more than the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back