PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you give up the 2nd round pick for Percy Harvin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hernandez got rolled up on last year and got a high-ankle sprain - it was unavoidable. Much like Gronkowski, it's difficult to label the guy as injury-prone with these injuries.

He's played in 3 seasons. He's missed two games or more in all 3 seasons. Call it what you want but, as I said, he can't seem to stay healthy.

As for Edelman, up until last year, he absolutely blew as a receiver on the outside, though his production in 2009 in the slot in Welker's stead was decent. Last year, he showed some signs of improvement on the outside just before his injury, and we didn't see him much in the slot. You cannot count on him as a Welker replacement by any stretch, but as a cheap backup slot, 2nd outside WR, and top tier punt returner, I think he's worth keeping. I was hard on the guy all last season, but when he got open on a couple deep routes just before his injury, it became apparent that what McD saw on the practice field might inevitably translate to the field.

I have no problem with Edelman as the WR4, although I don't think he's shown the ability to be any more than that to this point. I have a problem with people argue him as a reason that Welker isn't a big issue.

That handrwiting was pretty painful to read as I recall. Then of course he was gone...again.

Lets trade a #2 and change for Percy Harvin and pay him $12M+ per year for the next 5-6 years because in tandem with Edelman whose price will skyrocket if he approaches half of Welker's production in the slot they might replicate what we get with Welker, Edelman and Lloyd for $12M+ over the next 3 seasons...including if the big TE goes down again...

We're supposed to be trying to get better, not maintain the status quo while rearranging the deck chairs. This team needs to add talent and depth of certain skillsets (physicality) without flumoxing it's cap and you don't start that exercise by subtracting proven producers and replacing them with more expensive, unproven options. And particularly not when the centerpiece of your revised plan is a player with a history of acting out that predates his NFL career when the going gets rough. Lloyd had to swallow hard more than once last season as his transition into an offense he already knew didn't go as smoothly as planned with a QB of Brady's precision running the show.

Yeah, Chad Jackson. Remind me again how many seasons he played in the NFL? How many yards, TDs? The whole point is that Harvin has made it in the NFL and Jackson did not. Did you miss that?

Tebow? OK lets include Hernandez and Spikes in the discussion. Tebow has nothing to do with Harvin.

Keeping the WR status quo intact = fail. Look at how every team that won vs NE played the Pats in 2012. The jig is up. Dink and Dunk ball has been crapping the bed vs good defenses. 13 points vs Baltimore? WTF? The Pats can keep the band together so we can be here next season in the same boat. Did you see how Baltimore went down field vs the SF? The Pats cant do that with any consistency right now.

I mentioned earlier that Harvins contract should be related to his conduct and attitude. Nobody is suggesting to hand over the farm to Harvin without a way out. But, if you prefer to save cap money for a rainy day, while Brady has a few years left, I suppose that cap room will do alot of good when Brady is gone. Most older QBs suffer injury late in their careers. Montana did, Elway did and even Farve did. So will Brady. Expecting smooth sailing with a healthy Brady to retirement age 40 is wishful thinking.

Harvin is a nice player. If the reports of his contract demands are true then I have no interest in ascertaining his services.

Who in the hell advises these guys in regards to their contracts? Sports agents are muppets.

I'm sure you wanted to resign Asante and Seymour.

The NFL has a salary cap. We don't need to blow a second round pick AND a huge contract on a wide receiver who has durability concerns for the #3 scoring offense of all time and Tom Brady throwing the ball with an elite TE and another TE destined for the HOF along with an up and coming RB duo.

We need a decent wideout who can play the 2010 Branch role like Lloyd, space the field, occasionally win deep, and then the rest of the money and that draft pick should be all spent on our mediocre defense. Not our top 3 of all time offense with the greatest QB to ever play who can make Jabar Gaffney look like a passable #1 receiver.

I'm sure you wanted to resign Asante and Seymour.

The NFL has a salary cap. We don't need to blow a second round pick AND a huge contract on a wide receiver who has durability concerns for the #3 scoring offense of all time and Tom Brady throwing the ball with an elite TE and another TE destined for the HOF along with an up and coming RB duo.

We need a decent wideout who can play the 2010 Branch role like Lloyd, space the field, occasionally win deep, and then the rest of the money and that draft pick should be all spent on our mediocre defense. Not our top 3 of all time offense with the greatest QB to ever play who can make Jabar Gaffney look like a passable #1 receiver.

Who do you want to take welkers spot then when hes gone?

Who do you want to take welkers spot then when hes gone?

Ideally? Wes Welker.

And you pick up a DHB type guy to run deep (6'2, 216 lbs, 4.25). Ta-da, WR3. If he's any good, swap him and Lloyd.

Edelman comes in and subs any of Welker, Lloyd, or DHB since he can play in and out. Draft a prospect or bump up Ebert or Holmes if they're any good to WR5 and you've rounded out the receiving core.

Ideally? Wes Welker.

And you pick up a DHB type guy to run deep (6'2, 216 lbs, 4.25). Ta-da, WR3. If he's any good, swap him and Lloyd.

Edelman comes in and subs any of Welker, Lloyd, or DHB since he can play in and out. Draft a prospect or bump up Ebert or Holmes if they're any good to WR5 and you've rounded out the receiving core.

This sounds great, but not sure we can afford to keep Welker, Lloyd and add DHB.

Granted, while DHB always intrigued me going into the draft, his metrics have been poor in spite of decent production. 41% catch rate and -29% DVOA in 2011 despite a good year. Ouch. Have no idea how much QB is to blame there.

Spielman: Vikings not trying to deal Harvin

I kind of suspect Spielman is really saying that he hasn't gotten any offers he really wants for Harvin at this point.

Personally I'd be a bit concerned about his demeanor this past year with his arguing with Coach Frazier during games wanting Ponder taken out. Last thing our Pats need is someone like this who could be a locker room cancer if things don't go the way he wants them to go.

I kind of suspect Spielman is really saying that he hasn't gotten any offers he really wants for Harvin at this point.

Personally I'd be a bit concerned about his demeanor this past year with his arguing with Coach Frazier during games wanting Ponder taken out. Last thing our Pats need is someone like this who could be a locker room cancer if things don't go the way he wants them to go.

Yeah I read this headline as "it looks like nobody is going to pony up what we want for this guy, so we'll just bide our time a bit."

All the heavy handed rumors probably are premature anyways. Free agency hasn't started yet, and the Combine hasn't occurred. Perhaps WR hungry teams haven't yet concluded that they won't be able to get the playmaker they want via those two more traditional routes.

Who were you more concerned with...randy moss coming here in 07.or percy harvin MAYBE this year?

We were all very nervous when Moss got here on how he would act ect. Same with Dillon. Hell we got Talib this year..

Who were you more concerned with...randy moss coming here in 07.or percy harvin MAYBE this year?

We were all very nervous when Moss got here on how he would act ect. Same with Dillon. Hell we got Talib this year..

Truth be told Harvin more because of his antics are fairly recent. Moss to me in 07 seemed to be wanting to prove that he could not only be a great player on the field but that he could actually behave off the field too. Especially since his several years of (in essence) being a bench warmer for the Raiders. Now I could (and probably) am wrong on Harvin and trust me that would not be the first time I would eat crow on being wrong about a player. A one Matt Cassel comes to mind as I wanted him cut from the team after the 08 preseason.

In reply to your query: NO !!!:mad:

To answer the quest; heck no. BB could use that pick to draft a WRs just as good...oops :rolleyes: maybe not.

Although BB needs to lower his behavior standards in regards to WRs and DBs...Harvin (and Titas Young for that matter) would be a real pain in the rear end....not worth it.

Interesting article on the BB-Harvin relationship, notably that pre-draft, they were already were game-planning Harvin into their offense.

Percy, Pats go way back | Boston Herald

Two thoughts:

1. Could this mean that Tavon Austin would be high on the Pats board as they're similar explosive players.

2. Is this scenario, in which we almost get Harvin for free in any way likely:

A) Trade 2014 first for Harvin.

B) Trade Mallett to Arizona or Cleveland for a 2014 first. The doubts about this draft crop of QB's seem to be growing day by day. I understand that this might be wishful thinking.

Assuming Cleveland and Minnesota have similar seasons to this year, we could significantly improve our draft stock next year on top of adding Harvin.

This does seem to good to be true, so feel free to rubbish the notion.

Interesting article on the BB-Harvin relationship, notably that pre-draft, they were already were game-planning Harvin into their offense.

Two thoughts:

1. Could this mean that Tavon Austin would be high on the Pats board as they're similar explosive players.

B) Trade Mallett to Arizona or Cleveland for a 2014 first. The doubts about this draft crop of QB's seem to be growing day by day. I understand that this might be wishful thinking.

Assuming Cleveland and Minnesota have similar seasons to this year, we could significantly improve our draft stock next year on top of adding Harvin.

Nobody will deal a first for Ryan Mallet.

it's going to suck if they don't spend $$ to replace welkers role. If they think other sub par FA or draftees can fill in..they are dead wrong

Two thoughts:

Why are our backup QB's who have never played a meaningful snap always worth a 1st round draft pick? Remember Hoyer who was simply cut and unemployed? He was worth a 1st rounder in trades too according to this board.

We didn't even get a 1st rounder for Cassel AND Vrabel combined, with Cassel having proven himself in a full season and Vrabel being a full time starter and well respected member of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3