PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would Bill Belichick voluntarily resign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what we know, there is no reason for Bill Belichick even to think about resigning.

For years, BB was doing what many if not most HC's were doing. Then, he made a stupid, overreaching mistake by continuing to tape in the face of clear league disapproval. He has apologized for that mistake and paid a penalty to the league.

If BB is put under such intense pressure that he resigns, he should take a whole boatload of others with him.

He is way too arrogant to resign. He, of course, has reason to be arrogant. He is the best coach in the league.

He is the face of this scandal... so he should. Anyone with any respect for the game and this team, would and should. But he probably won't.

And the Bills SHOULD move to Los Angeles, being the face of small-market mediocrity perpetuated by a small-minded owner. But they probably won't.

Last edited:
I wish Kraft, Belichick, and the completely incompetent Patriots PR department would go on the attack here. It's just ridiculous these morons don't defend themselves.

I wish Kraft, Belichick, and the completely incompetent Patriots PR department would go on the attack here. It's just ridiculous these morons don't defend themselves.

I think they're taking the "just ignore it and it will go away" strategy. What I hope is the case is that the Patriots have the goods on other teams that were cheating (wouldn't surprise me at all, I'll say that) and are keeping it quiet for the good of the league. That's why Gooddell has switched from their biggest critic to their greatest ally, he doesn't want anything else to come out.

But from my perspective the "best thing" for the league at this point would be for it to become public knowledge that:

A) Lots of teams do stuff like this
B) It's not as big a deal as it's made out to be by the media

I think the reason people feel it would "damage the league" is because the average fan doesn't understand how minor an infraction it is (I'm talking about sideline taping, I think most agree the Rams story, had it been true, would have been far worse). The fact that it's been allowed to become such a big deal is the biggest travesty of all of this.

He is the face of this scandal... so he should. Anyone with any respect for the game and this team, would and should. But he probably won't.

Belichick has more respect for the game and it's history than any other coach in the league.

If you think he should resign because he did something coaches at every level have been doing since the game began, you are an idiot.

He;s not going to resign over an overblown media "scandal". It's a witch hunt.

Yes, BB should resign, it's the right thing to do. While we're at it, every player who has ever committed a facemask, offsides, false start, holding, illegal motion, chopblock, horsecollar, encroachment, intentional grounding, unsportsmanlike conduct, or any other penalty or rules infringement should retire. Substance abuse violations come under another umbrella.

I'm with the Pats with Belichick or without Belichick.

I think that many of the people with their noses in the air about Belichick would be among the first to jump off the bandwagon if he walked and the Patriots reverted to the type of team they've been for most of the past 40+ years.

He's not perfect, but he's my guy--and not just because he's a winning coach. Most of the players are hard-working, no-excuse guys who do their talking on the field. Just like him.

Is there a point at which Bill Belichick would/should step down as the head coach of the Patriots? I think the Patriot's brand/image has been severely tarnished this year and I do not see Spygate going away anytime soon.

Even Rumsfeld and Gonzalez eventually stepped down for their team/party.

Yeah our brand image has been tarnished by the Belichick era.

Bring back Clive Rush!!!!

I would almost have to say, that if he goes... so do I.

Belichick MADE the Patriots the great dynasty that they are.

Yeah, I would to. I can't go through any more Pete the Poodle/Bobby Grier
regimes. I'm too old for that. I'll follow BB to his next team after being with
this team since the beginning if that happens, because you can be damn sure
that another team would hire him in a heartbeat.

This I might cry over...

BB and Rumsfeld. Hmmm. One is a football coach, the other was in charge of the defense of the United States. No stretch here. :rolleyes:

I think your image as a poster on this forum has been severely tarnished because of this worrywart, troll-baiting, idiotic thread.

Ahhh, once again do you have your finger placed firmly on the pulse!

I'm with you here....

Here's Dropkick Flutie's pic:

guy1.jpg
Yeah... I'm thinking "We got flexed for this?!?"
Belichick has more respect for the game and it's history than any other coach in the league.

If you think he should resign because he did something coaches at every level have been doing since the game began, you are an idiot.

He;s not going to resign over an overblown media "scandal". It's a witch hunt.
If he did have that kind of respect, he wouldn't have broken the rule. Everyone may do it, but he got caught, the NFL doesn't want this type of thing to go on anymore, and he will be made the example.
And name calling is against the CoC, but I forgive ya!

I don't know what's more surreal.

The fact that we lost to the Giants almost 2 weeks ago, or that I'm actually reading this topic.

If he did have that kind of respect, he wouldn't have broken the rule. Everyone may do it, but he got caught, the NFL doesn't want this type of thing to go on anymore, and he will be made the example.
And name calling is against the CoC, but I forgive ya!

So "everyone does it, but he got caught" is your excuse. That's a cop out. He didn't get "caught", he got dimed out by a vindictive former friend that was presumably doing the same thing on the opposite sideline. If you know a tiny but about football, you know the whole thing is a joke.

The questions isn't should he resign its will he be forced to, and I think its 50/50 at this point. If the hoopla continues, I wouldn't be at all surprised to face 2008 without BB.

There are many reasons for Spygate:

Comcast is fighting the NFL and using its bought and paid for senator to fight those ads the NFL has taken out telling fans to switch to other TV providers. It is also trying to prevent the NFL from getting a legal, political or public relations win for putting the NFLN on basic cable.

The goons on the Competition Committee are also trying to:

a.) ruin the Pats. The goal of Spygate II may be not only the squashing of the NFL by Comcast, but the destruction of the Pats off the field, since they can't do it on the field.

b.) make Goodell tow their line (hence the first video leak to Fox to make him look bad). I think Goodell has in-fighting to deal with, and so will never be able come out and give the Pats the support and the cover they need and deserve.

The media are looking for dirt and excitement.

Congress is getting involved, another set of hearings to milk the hate of the Pats and to boost individual members.

Some fans/players/management of other teams are jealous of what we have accomplished and afraid of what we still might do.

So if you think this is just going to go away, you are sadly mistaken. There are too many constituencies with too many irons in the fire. And if you think there has to be any substance to the allegations or stories to harm us, again you are not living in the real world. It doesn't matter anymore about truth, or right or wrong, its just about feeding the beast and generating the most hype, and who can benefit the most.

The question then becomes at what point does all this meaningless noise become too much for BB or Robert Kraft ?

After watching that Business special about the Pats on MSNBC I would say Robert Kraft is the weak link.

Yes, BB brought us Super bowls and a dynasty and changed our fortunes. But. Kraft kept going on and on about his father, and their family and brand name and that it was the most precious thing they owned and how it had to be protected and how everyone had to have integrity and live up to the Kraft's standards. He seemed very genuine and in pain about the whole thing, because right or wrong the Pats and Kraft have been tarnished. At some point he may decide he has had enough, and then heads will roll, even if it looks like a resignation.

Another non-football item that may decide BB's fate, is Patriot's Place. The Krafts are putting up this whole lifestyle complex, and spending a boatload of money. If investors, stores, and other 'brands' back off the project because its too risky with the taint of Spygate swirling around, on top of the economy going soft, Kraft will have to do something.

I think the reason that there has been no public campaign by the Pats PR department or their lawyers is because Kraft knows his team was initially in the wrong. At some point if there is enough fuss he may say, I should stop bashing a brick wall with my head.

By the way if Kraft decides to push BB out, I would expect him to get the NFL to agree to ban BB, so that no other team could hire him. A you scratch my back I'll scratch yours kind of deal with Kraft and the NFL.

Now maybe they are working behind the scenes, and will pull something off that will make the other side look bad. Maybe some other scandal will push us off the pages, or maybe there will be a sympathy backlash, but I think we are in for a bumpy ride, and may not like where we end up, all over nothing.

The questions isn't should he resign its will he be forced to, and I think its 50/50 at this point. If the hoopla continues, I wouldn't be at all surprised to face 2008 without BB.

You're delusional.

There is no way he will be forced to resign. The NFL makes SO much money off the patriots, and who had the highest rated nfl games this season? Yep that would be the Pats again. If anything, there may be truth to the phrase that no publicity is bad publicity when it generates interest. Sucks for us pats fans cuz we see the hypocrisy, but as much as other teams would like us to fall we are the #1 draw in the NFL. I don't buy that the NFL will destruct their top commodity when they make so much money from it...

Last edited:
ten characters

Attachments

• sucks2.jpg
    sucks2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 94

There are many reasons for Spygate:

Comcast is fighting the NFL and using its bought and paid for senator to fight those ads the NFL has taken out telling fans to switch to other TV providers. It is also trying to prevent the NFL from getting a legal, political or public relations win for putting the NFLN on basic cable.

The goons on the Competition Committee are also trying to:

a.) ruin the Pats. The goal of Spygate II may be not only the squashing of the NFL by Comcast, but the destruction of the Pats off the field, since they can't do it on the field.

b.) make Goodell tow their line (hence the first video leak to Fox to make him look bad). I think Goodell has in-fighting to deal with, and so will never be able come out and give the Pats the support and the cover they need and deserve.

The media are looking for dirt and excitement.

Congress is getting involved, another set of hearings to milk the hate of the Pats and to boost individual members.

Some fans/players/management of other teams are jealous of what we have accomplished and afraid of what we still might do.

So if you think this is just going to go away, you are sadly mistaken. There are too many constituencies with too many irons in the fire. And if you think there has to be any substance to the allegations or stories to harm us, again you are not living in the real world. It doesn't matter anymore about truth, or right or wrong, its just about feeding the beast and generating the most hype, and who can benefit the most.

The question then becomes at what point does all this meaningless noise become too much for BB or Robert Kraft ?

After watching that Business special about the Pats on MSNBC I would say Robert Kraft is the weak link.

Yes, BB brought us Super bowls and a dynasty and changed our fortunes. But. Kraft kept going on and on about his father, and their family and brand name and that it was the most precious thing they owned and how it had to be protected and how everyone had to have integrity and live up to the Kraft's standards. He seemed very genuine and in pain about the whole thing, because right or wrong the Pats and Kraft have been tarnished. At some point he may decide he has had enough, and then heads will roll, even if it looks like a resignation.

Another non-football item that may decide BB's fate, is Patriot's Place. The Krafts are putting up this whole lifestyle complex, and spending a boatload of money. If investors, stores, and other 'brands' back off the project because its too risky with the taint of Spygate swirling around, on top of the economy going soft, Kraft will have to do something.

I think the reason that there has been no public campaign by the Pats PR department or their lawyers is because Kraft knows his team was initially in the wrong. At some point if there is enough fuss he may say, I should stop bashing a brick wall with my head.

By the way if Kraft decides to push BB out, I would expect him to get the NFL to agree to ban BB, so that no other team could hire him. A you scratch my back I'll scratch yours kind of deal with Kraft and the NFL.

Now maybe they are working behind the scenes, and will pull something off that will make the other side look bad. Maybe some other scandal will push us off the pages, or maybe there will be a sympathy backlash, but I think we are in for a bumpy ride, and may not like where we end up, all over nothing.

Why the **** would Kraft force BB out? First off, he signed him to an extension AFTER spygate came out. Second of all, the Pats have the highest TV ratings of any team in the league. Third of all, the Pats just set a ton of regular season records this year. Fourthly, do you have any idea how much Kraft hated Parcells and Carroll? He knows how blessed he is to have Belichick, on a coaching and organizational level (he works with his personnel guys, rather than against them. Seems intuitive, but it doesnt work that way with a lot of teams, where the coach's primary objective is not to get fired). And lastly, and probably most importantly, is that Kraft knows that, if he forced Belichick out, his fanbase would evaporate overnight. I have no problem saying that, if they were to part in this way, and I had to put my loyalty with Belichick or the Pats organization, I would choose Belichick. He put us on the NFL map, and I feel pretty damn grateful for it. If he gets pushed out the door, I (and many, many other fans) are going with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back