PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Insider: Collective “Rolling of Eyes” at Gillette Over Ongoing Bill Belichick/Mac Jones Situation

“Folks in the building understand he was in an adverse situation, and that is putting it gently,” Perry said. “It’s really difficult to hold it against him that he tried to fix it on his own. This is how people view this: Mac Jones felt as though he had exhausted all options available to him in the building, so he went out and pursued improvement elsewhere. And he might be punished because of that? He might be traded because of that? That’s him writing his own ticket out of town?
"He exhausted all options available to him in the building"... this needs elaboration. Like what exactly happened "inside the building." And again, "going outside the building" for coaching (during the season) is a Ludacris idea.

The bigger issue here is WTF is going on with this organization? It all started with the dysfunctional internal handling of the Deflategate saga. Then whatever happened with the hasty Garoppolo trade. The insulting one-year contracts for Brady. The botched attempt to trade Gronk to an inept franchise. Brady making his way to Kraft's office (warranted and still inside the building) to complain about any number of issues. Brady calling out Kraft in the media. Brady's eventual departure (and immediate success elsewhere). Patricia, Judge, the debacle of the 2022 season, and now all this drama between Mac and the team (or more specifically Belichick). What a mess.

I'm confused. Based on Phil perry's comments about the players... it seems like the idea that Mac was being shopped around isn't/wasn't entirely false?
Likely wasn't. But it sounds like it may be old news, and obviously having it coming up now is something that people within the team/players clearly aren't happy about.

For that to happen someone needs to figure out how to work Aaron Rodgers into this conversation. Because without a mention of Aaron Rodgers @Steve:Section 102 and @RobertWeathers aren't going to post Lilly pis, they only trot Lilly out at the mention of Aaron Rodgers. So if you can figure out a way to work Aaron Rodgers into this thread that clearly has nothing to do with Aaron Rodgers then the Aaron Rodgers threshold requirement will be met and we will get Lillly pics because Aaron Rodgers is being mentioned
- Mentions Aaron Rodgers 7 times
- Tags members who post Lily pics

I see what you're up to, buster.
Swing and miss.
No Way Reaction GIF by CBS

It has to be organic. This is like a false alarm post. The only other exception I can envision is a thread dedicated to all things (pun intended) Lily. ;)
Agree.

0e41fdfc-7099-41aa-9341-a6d516471004_text.gif

But there doesn't need to be per rules defined by me.

CH6ty9kUwAAK0UG.jpeg

Yeah, this whole thing feels like it's old news getting regurgitated because there's nothing new to discuss. The fact that he's in house is good, but to be expected from my point of view. I mean, the guy is a third year player with a new OC, of course he's here. Brady would be here with a new OC, so it's not really news IMO.

Don't get me wrong, Phil Perry is reasonably credible to me. A rung below Mike Reiss but certainly several above Florio & Simms. That said, Perry is only reiterating something that was hearsay when he heard it.

By all accounts, Phil isn't a pot-stirrer and he's pretty honest and isn't a sensationalist by any means. I believe what he reported. At the same time, I do believe that the "shopping" of Jones reports is something that likely happened a while ago and it's essentially new reporting of old news, which I mentioned in the bit I wrote about it.

I think teams, before making any QB or personnel decisions prior to free agency, checked the temperature of where Belichick was at with Jones and that may have been perceived as "shopping" him if he asked, "What are you offering?" but then said, "no" if it wasn't enticing enough to even ponder.

But I feel like that door is closed at this point, with the team instead moving forward to 2023. Yet the media reports, while potentially accurate in theory, may just be way behind the timeline of when all of this may have actually occurred. Or at least that's my opinion, which doesn't mean a whole lot, but whatever. :rolleyes:
I'll consider it closed after the draft and after all other teams' QB situations are settled. Not saying I want a change, just that I still see too many possibilities remain open. Longshots? Absolutely, but as long as those options are out there (Rodgers, Lamar, draft), we can't 100% discard something crazy happening.

I'm wondering why everyone seemingly is missing the most IMPORTANT information in the article. It has NOTHING to do with the drama, or sources, or various narratives, but a simple fact. Mac and Zappe have been going to Gillette DAILY to work with BOB and his staff on THIS year's offense.

EVERY other thing from this article is supposition, from a story about LAST year. What is important here is, it is good to know that Mac is going in DAILY to work with BOB on what they will be doing THIS year. And I guess that at this time of year all the work he and Zappe are doing is VOLUNTARY.

So you have two choices. You can follow the continuing clickbait drama about who said what to whom from LAST year, or take the key FACT that Mac is busy working with BOB on THIS year.

I agree with comrade Ken here.

Gotta love sports. They bring us together. The only topic where a successful capitalist like myself can agree with a communist who belongs to the proletariat like Ken.

He is the assistant head coach. That is a promotion in title. I don't think an assistant head coach has a lot more power or responsibility than any other position coach, but it is a title given as an honor. The last two coaches that had that title on this team were Scar and Belichick himself. When Belichick was brought in in 1996, he was given the defensive backs coach and assistant head coach titles and he basically helped Al Groh bring the defense to the next level.

EDIT: Who cares who is paying his salary? He still went from just a position coach to assistant head coach. He could have easily just stayed a position coach.
What position... every position is accounted for?

It's a meaningless title, maybe it's a favor to Judge but he has been tasked with fixing the special teams this season and they desperately need him there. Hopefully he teaches the young special teams coach how to do his job better.

You mean the Giants. Not nitpicking, I just want it to be clear for everyone's amusement John 'Prune Juice' Mara is paying BB's guy
Sure, I had to two former head coaches backwards.

Sure, I had to two former head coaches backwards.

All good, I just wanted to lay that disaster of a hire squarely back at ol' prune face's feet. He's such a supercilious silver spoon empty suit it's hard to believe that he's the son of the late great Wellington Mara who was a genuine steward of the game.

What position... every position is accounted for?

It's a meaningless title, maybe it's a favor to Judge but he has been tasked with fixing the special teams this season and they desperately need him there. Hopefully he teaches the young special teams coach how to do his job better.

According to Albert Breer his job is more than a special teams coach:

According to Albert Breer his job is more than a special teams coach:

We can moan all we want about Judge, it's not coincidence that special teams fell apart when he left. Blocked field goals, blocked punts, delay of game penalties on punting units when you're back up into your own twenty... total calamity.

Special teams needed him back, I'm glad he's back on special teams.

Can someone please pm me if this ever escalates to shrugging of shoulders?

Last edited:
We can moan all we want about Judge, it's not coincidence that special teams fell apart when he left. Blocked field goals, blocked punts, delay of game penalties on punting units when you're back up into your own twenty... total calamity.

Daniel Jones fell apart with Judge. Mac Jones did the same thing last season. DJ looks like the more promising QB at this point.

Judge was a laughingstock in NY. He's a goon who could only find employment with Belichick. Same with Patricia, who is unemployable in the NFL.

There’s really also no reason to have Achord back. Judge is clearly a great ST coach, just let him coach that unit and don’t give him whatever responsibilities comes with that title

Daniel Jones fell apart with Judge. Mac Jones did the same thing last season. DJ looks like the more promising QB at this point.

Judge was a laughingstock in NY. He's a goon who could only find employment with Belichick. Same with Patricia, who is unemployable in the NFL.
The Pats aren’t asking him to coach offense in 2023, they’re asking him to fix the special teams. Which needs fixing and which was one of the best units in the NFL under his watch previously.

There’s really also no reason to have Achord back. Judge is clearly a great ST coach, just let him coach that unit and don’t give him whatever responsibilities comes with that title
Who cares, except the negative nancy’s that complain about everything.

Coaches don’t count against the salary cap and Judge is being paid by the Giants. Do you ever post anything optimistic or is the sky always falling?

I didn't say he couldn't help the special teams, but that doesn't change the fact he got rewarded despite his incompetence last year.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back