PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst Offensive play called

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont like to disagree within a topic we agrree on, but I believe tape proves it likely would have been a significant gain had Caldwell ran a single reverse.

At the game everyone was dumbfounded that Caldwell didn't run it instead of handing off to Jackson who promptly ran into every single member of the Bears D, which had all gone to that side of the field. As a single reverse the play had some chance to gain some good yards. There was no one in front of Caldwell if he ran toward the sideline. It was so slow developing as a double it had no chance whatsoever.

On the Big Show they just asked BB if Reche had the option on that double reverse. He's not allowed. I doubt he'd be doing a lot of laps as punishment if he had held the ball though.

Lets just call it what it is. Josh McDaniels sucks.

At the game everyone was dumbfounded that Caldwell didn't run it instead of handing off to Jackson who promptly ran into every single member of the Bears D, which had all gone to that side of the field. As a single reverse the play had some chance to gain some good yards. There was no one in front of Caldwell if he ran toward the sideline. It was so slow developing as a double it had no chance whatsoever.

Thats the point. Against an over aggressive over persuing defense what plays do you call? I suggest an occasional reverse or screen is excellent play calling. I think every would agree that a double reverse to an aggressive pursuit will run you directly into the teeth of the defense. Anyone who thinks Caldwell was given an option ....well.

Thats the point. Against an over aggressive over persuing defense what plays do you call? I suggest an occasional reverse or screen is excellent play calling. I think every would agree that a double reverse to an aggressive pursuit will run you directly into the teeth of the defense. Anyone who thinks Caldwell was given an option ....well.

Obviously, they should have given Caldwell the option to run if he had room (and he should have taken it). But, overall, how was the play calling bad? If Ben Watson doesn't allow the ball to be punched out twice, Maroney doesn't allow it to be ripped out of his hands, and Dillon doesn't make a boneheaded fumble at the end, don't we have at least 12-21 more points (provided the Gost can make four chip shot FGs) and this is a rout of the best defense in the league? We pretty much moved the ball up and down the field on them, but let them take it away in the red zone. How can McDaniels be faulted for that? The only other bad play "call" as I saw it was Brady's 2nd int, where it was his fault to some extent - it was tipped, but he forced it when no one was open. It seems Charlie Weiss made at least one bad play call a game too.

Belichick was asked on WEEI about the double reverse and he defended the decision saying they called it at a time when they felt it would work based on the looks they were getting, only it didn't because the Bears overbit on the initial toss at the outset. And the play was not discretionary - it was a double reverse with no option for Caldwell to bail on the handoff to Jackson.

Sorry to disappoint the McDaniels is on life support charter members. BB had given the play his blessing and thinks it was a good call and still expects it would have worked if not for the initial overpursuit. Every play you call doesn't work, even for teams like the Colts. Other teams do come to play. And the Bears defense certainly did. But one thing calling gadget plays periodically does is force the teams you have yet to face down the road to commit some time to defending them in practice. So in that respect the double reverse may still be serving some purpose. And maybe if we pull it out with a wrinkle in January someone takes it to the house.

That doesn't mean squat. Belichick would never publicly not support his coaches. It would be stupid.

Not to bring politics into this, but it's like all government people saying Iraq was going great, in order to present a unified front.

The double reverse!!! I nearly had a fit when they ran that play!! It just takes too long to develop to try and pull it on any fast defensive team. What in hell were they thinking?? Please, for the love of god, dump this from your playbook this season!!! And whoever had the ball first, next time you see all that open green in front of you....keep on going!!!
Didn't see any posts on this yet, but if so please merge.

Yup. That play actually caused bleeding in my brain. BB was on a conference call with the Chicago media this week and they asked him what he thought of the "genuis label." He said he thought it was pretty amusing because he does alot of stupid things. I'd have to say this was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft