Welcome to PatsFans.com

Worst location for a Super Bowl ever?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by FredFromDartmouth, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I have noticed that almost all of the NFL network coverage of the Super Bowl is indoors...that's because Indianapolis sucks. Worse than Jacksonville. The parting gift from Bill Polian.

Super Bowls should be played in vacation spots instead of insipid places like Indianapolis or dumps like the New Jersey Meadowlands (I hope it is 20 below for that one). I want to see palm trees and outdoor parties during Super Bowl week...
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How about this? Lets scrap the Pro Bowl, embarrasing as it is, and play the Superbowl in Hawaii every year, perfect weather, and you'll have your palm trees. And/or we could have the superbowl in Hawaii every year, followed by the Probowl the next week. have a three week luau, surf, palm trees, grass skirts,.....;)
  3. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Perfect! Not sure I want to see Leslie Visser in coconuts though...
  4. buile

buile PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To put it in a different perspective. Kraft last night on Sirius was asked about how the location. After praising the event, he said with a devilish tone "you know what I like? Seeing the Patriots inside the Colts' locker room" ;)
  5. jays52

jays52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Traffic in Indy pissing you off this morning, Mike?
  6. Mosi Moose

Mosi Moose Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed. I wish they just kept it to 4 places, Miami, Tampa, SD, and NO. I went to the SB's in Jax and Houston and those were terrible choices.
  7. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

By all reports I have read Indy has been a much better Super Bowl site than the disaster that was Dallas last year.
  8. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

Jacksonville was the worst. Not ready for prime time. Totally inadequate parking; stadium RAN OUT OF FOOD; bathrooms on one side of stadium did not work. After the game, NOTHING OPEN for people looking to eat or celebrate.

I've been to Indy. Its stadium is downtown where there is a Fanueil Hall-like area of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. I am sure it is better than Jacksonville and maybe Detroit?
  9. Gronkandez

Gronkandez Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That was mostly due to the ice storms though. But yeah, like everyone else I'd like to see a four city rotation.

Maybe one day in London?
  10. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

Detriot was probably the worst. It has horrible weather. You can literally get killed if you accidentally get lost. A depressing poverty city.

BTW, although I have only been to one Super Bowl, I think it should in New Orleans every year. There is tons of stuff to do. Burbon Street is like a 10-15 minute walk from the stadium.
  11. Rusty Coupe

Rusty Coupe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

12. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

Youre wrong.

The weather has been fantastic and the downtown hopping. Everything is centally located unlike Phoenix where it was spread out over miles in Glendale, Tempe, Scottsdale.

Jacksonville was a dump. Houston was great and Indy's set up is very similar to that city.

BTW, the weather stunk in Jacksonville Super Bowl week. Nobody was in the ocean I can tell you that.
  13. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Spot on Deb! While I was thrilled to have the chance to attend that game and see my team win the city really took allot away from the the experience.

I have been to Indy. It has Jax beat by a mile.
  14. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

New Orleans every year until football is no longer played anywhere.
  15. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

From what people have said, Jacksonville was the worst place to host the SB.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Might as well. The game's inaccessible to most fans anyway. Let the uber-rich take it over completely. Problem is they'd have to have kickoff at 3pm local time for us to see it @ 8.

I still think cold-weather places shouild have a shot. Green Bay would be a blast!
  17. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

I went to Patriots Super Bowls in Houston, Jacksonville and Phoenix. Couldn't care less about surroundings/"ambiance." Really liked the Houston and Phoenix stadiums, though.
  18. Spiral

Spiral PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oddly enough, it's been in the mid-70's all week in Dallas. They just got unlucky with the weather last year.
  19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Thats a great idea but it will never happen. The NFL will keep rotating the SB to help pay for these stadiums, is the SB going to be played at Giants stadium soon?
  20. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Indiana leads the league in inbred hillbilly slack jawed yokels.
  21. seven

seven Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I listen to the radio all day, many sources.
    They have been unanimous in their praise of Indy, have not heard a single dissenter.
    Indy is all in one area, streets roped off so that everything is SB related, lots of good energy.
    Cowherd and Francessa say it every day. Both perhaps making up for some negativity or skepticism before the event.

Jacksonville and Detroit seem to be the consensus toss up for worst, but I would also add Dallas to that. Obviously the ice and cold, but everything was so spread out it just didn't work.
  22. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Would also fill the three week gap to the combine and also allow for some of the most deserving talent to have been selected to actually play rather than be replaced by guys who didn't earn it and have increasingly made a mockery of it. It used to be a pretty sweet bonus for the pro bowlers on the winning SB team to fly in late and bask in the glow.
  23. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

One of my employees and her husband - young couple without kids - have close friends that live in an apartment in downtown Indy, close to LOS. They've invited them to stay the weekend. It's a 2 hour drive from here. As of yesterday, they were still undecided if they wanted to go. And they're football fans (ok, Colts fans, but still)!
    So, my question is: would it be ok to discipline her (you know, like, write her up for something, lack of good judgement or whatever) if they stay home? I mean, I wouldn't care if the SB was in Buffalo, wouldn't you go in this scenario? Just to check it all out, for free? :confused:

(Disclosure: This post was done in jest.) (I'm in banking. There's a disclosure for everything.) (And I'm not posting this at work!!)
  24. Catch42

Catch42 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was downtown for about 5 hours on Sunday. I think Indy has done a great job in the downtown area. The unusually warm weather has helped, but I think Indy does a good job with large sporting events.
  25. BKBroiler

BKBroiler Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think that's a key point. Indy has had many experiences with larger sporting events and know what they are doing. Same goes with Miami, Tampa, and New Orleans, and a few others as well. They all have hosted major bowl games, Final Four's, major racing events, and others that have allowed them to constantly improve the experience.
  26. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Most of the media reports have been very positive about the Indy SB experience.

I do think NO is the best city for it but like the idea of a warm weather rotation. BTW I think NO has it next year. If the Saints are the one seed and never have to leave that building including the SB it's going to be a done deal.
  27. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Detroit was the worst SB location ever, followed by Jacksonville in my opinion.

One thing Indy has going for it is everything being in one downtown area. Dallas and some other areas are so spread out that it becomes a negative, having to drive so far everywhere. Miami and Tampa have a similar issue, though it is offset by the warmer climate in Florida.

As for the suggestion that the game be held in Green Bay, that's not happening. There is simply no way that they have the infrastructure to handle all those people and events for a full week. And before somebody suggests it, forget about the game ever being played in Foxboro due to the traffic situation on route 1.
  28. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Perhaps that was the case before Tennessee got a team...
  29. PlainOldEd

PlainOldEd Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is why it shouldn't be in the same (NFL) city every year. If it were always in NO they would have a distinct advantage.

I like the HI idea, but the big problem there is that it is smaller than any other NFL stadium. At 50,000 seats it has 11,500 less than the next smallest stadium, Soldier Field. Admittedly LOS only has 63,000 so apparently seating capacity doesn't figure in too much when it comes to deciding a location, but I would imagine it has something to do with it.
  30. NinjaZX6R

NinjaZX6R Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Jacksonville had to bring in cruise ships to be used as Hotels during SB 39 week.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.