PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winning Super Bowl may cause a NFL monopoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
The premise of this thread is true, but only holds as long as Brady is playing (and, by extension, as long as he is playing at current levels), and, to a somewhat lesser extent, as long as BB is coaching.

Still, that's likely another 5 years or so of FA advatage for the Pats.

Once they have to start breaking in a new QB, all bets are off.

Re: Winning SuperBowl may cause a NFL monopoly

Dude, do you really think all the good vets are gonna come here and ignore all the money? No goddamn way, it didn't happen when we won 3 superbowls, it wont happen now. However, the way some homers on this board can be, just about anyone who walks through the door will be a great vet.

I think his point is not all good vets will want to take less to come here but 1 or 2 vets each year will want a chance to win a ring and really that would make the Pats a monopoly in this free market known as the NFL.

Because the difference between teams who win and lose each week comes down to 1 or 2 players who make more plays then the opposition.

This was the very point of BB's stratagem from the Holly book, when he said, paraphrasing, "in a league of parity a well coached team with a strong middle class should always be competitive."

Now take that phrase and add 1 or 2 good free agents each yr and you have a competitive imbalance in favor of the Pats.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a monopoly.
Players naturally gravitate towards successful teams.
This is no different for winning teams like the Colts, Chargers, Cowboys etc.

The difference is that in 2007, the Patriots finally cashed in on their wise cap management to acquire some top level free agents available on the market such as Adalius Thomas.
The trades for Moss and Welker were also brilliant moves.
2007 is simply the year of the perfect storm for the Patriots.

That doesn't mean that other successful teams won't have players that want to play for them.
To be a monopoly you have to control ALL the supply, aka Microsoft and their Windows OS.
That's not the case here.
Free agents are free to choose, and many still pick the cash over a chance at a ring.

Last edited:
With the signing of Lynch I think we are seeing Kraft's true vision of building a championship business (not just a team). A business is built to win every year not just a few then go down, then return again.

Because of the Patriots organization continual success I see top free-agent talent wanting to win continually will consider playing for this organization at below the value they might get from other teams. They'll never play for free but as long as the Patriots make a fair offer (even if less then other teams) the Patriots simply have an unfair advantage in getting new talent.

I see this happening every single year, well at least why Brady is playing, but even when his time comes to retire I have full faith we'll have a capable QB ready to go.

Oh yeah, and aren't we all just so sad with folks like Asante Samuel depart for mega contracts only to get hurt and as so far not even be able to help their new team. Kraft, Pioli, Belichick . . . they simply 'get it'.

We've already got a system in place where veteran players in search of a ring will play here at a discount.

We have the talent year in and year out to win a ring - but there is an element of luck and good health that comes into play each season, so there's never a gurantee.

Interesting, mainly seeing as 2006 had no Moss or Welker and it was already starting to be true.

If O'Connell shows up as another Brady-esque QB (consistent play, team-first attitude, team allegiance) and this very well COULD go on for a long time, especially if the '08 draft shakes out as well as it seems like it could.

Build a core that stays team-focused and use vets in roles other teams don't know how to counter, making them look like they're going out on top. It's a win for vets there.

That said, Vet players retire in their 30's. I'm just digging into my thirties, but how many of you at NFL retirement age are on your deathbed? Stocking up on cash for the next 30-40 years in probably a part of the equation too. And that said, special roles on NE might offer a career extension of a couple of years or more. 2x1.5mil vs 1x2mil is a no-brainer.

Congrats! You are about 4 years too late with this observation. While vets are still coming here for less, it started WAY BACK WHEN when we were winning super bowls. Its been a few years now, yet we are still reaping benefits. All dynasties do this......remember B.Jones taking a bag of cash from SF not cap reported, All pro LB Ricky Jackson played for the minimum, and of course Deion. Eventually will have to pay the piper on this though, and we have as good of cap mgt as anyone..

It has nothing to do with the Patriots becoming a "Monopoly" it has to do with how the team signs and develops their own players

Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea (Pro Bowl last year), Kelvin Hayden, Marlin Jackson, all drafted and have only played for the colts during their careers. 20 of 22 starters for the colts SB team only played for the Colts during their careers (Booger and Adam V exceptions)

The colts develop their own homegrown talent and don't usually go out and sign "Big name" Free agents or names. Obviously Adam V was one of the few exceptions (he has one more SB the Pats do since then so I guess he had made the right decision up to now) Booger McFarland another that worked out.

Your boy Dan Klecko left for Naptown (we let him go this year but not after he did his damage especially against the pats) Deon Branch booked, Asante Samuel went bye bye, and its not like a sizeable number of players are going to turning down boatloads of money to go to Foxbourough over places on the coast and glam cities such as NY, Miami, San Diego, any time son

Last edited:
Well we already own both the Electric Company and the Water Works, and the hotel on Baltic Avenue.

With the signing of Lynch I think we are seeing Kraft's true vision of building a championship business (not just a team). A business is built to win every year not just a few then go down, then return again.

Because of the Patriots organization continual success I see top free-agent talent wanting to win continually will consider playing for this organization at below the value they might get from other teams. They'll never play for free but as long as the Patriots make a fair offer (even if less then other teams) the Patriots simply have an unfair advantage in getting new talent.

I see this happening every single year, well at least why Brady is playing, but even when his time comes to retire I have full faith we'll have a capable QB ready to go.

Oh yeah, and aren't we all just so sad with folks like Asante Samuel depart for mega contracts only to get hurt and as so far not even be able to help their new team. Kraft, Pioli, Belichick . . . they simply 'get it'.

Thread necro is lame. If there is a thread that is 9 months old, start a new one and link to it.

It has nothing to do with the Patriots becoming a "Monopoly" it has to do with how the team signs and develops their own players

Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea (Pro Bowl last year), Kelvin Hayden, Marlin Jackson, all drafted and have only played for the colts during their careers. 20 of 22 starters for the colts SB team only played for the Colts during their careers (Booger and Adam V exceptions)

The colts develop their own homegrown talent and don't usually go out and sign "Big name" Free agents or names. Obviously Adam V was one of the few exceptions (he has one more SB the Pats do since then so I guess he had made the right decision up to now) Booger McFarland another that worked out.

Your boy Dan Klecko left for Naptown (we let him go this year but not after he did his damage especially against the pats) Deon Branch booked, Asante Samuel went bye bye, and its not like a sizeable number of players are going to turning down boatloads of money to go to Foxbourough over places on the coast and glam cities such as NY, Miami, San Diego, any time son

That's pretty delusional.

Our guys left after they wrapped a couple obnoxiously LARGE rings around their fingers, got all the HYPE and MEDIA exposure that goes along with being a Patriot and got offered sick cash based on their play on a team that is led by some of the best the game has ever seen (Players and Coaches).

The premise of this thread is true, but only holds as long as Brady is playing (and, by extension, as long as he is playing at current levels), and, to a somewhat lesser extent, as long as BB is coaching.

Still, that's likely another 5 years or so of FA advatage for the Pats.

Once they have to start breaking in a new QB, all bets are off.

I kept waiting for those two key words to appear:

Tom Brady

Here's why . . .

Patriots are a team that attracts players that want to win a ring. Veteran players from on the team itself as well as from the league have demonstrated they are willing to play for for the Patriots for less than market value.

So now the Patriots have a system in place where they are attracting top talent yet do not have to pay what others would need to pay for it by offering a non-salary cap fringe benefit of having a solid chance at a championship. This reminds me of Microsoft back in the mid '90's and google of today. Those companies didn't pay top dollar in salaries but they gave you stock options that could make you very successful. The Pats don't give you options instead they give you a solid chance of a trophy every year.

So while there will always be a few players that have their 'rings' and now want to get some cash elsewhere they will leave; but the flip side is there is basically an equivalent amount of players with talent that already made their cash and want a trophy. Hence they look towards playing for the Patriots. These are the players that want to win and are required to check their attitude at the door and do exactly as the coach tells them to. And oh yes, Bill much prefers veteran players over younger ones who are smart and can play in his complex schemes.

The only way this formula does not work is if the Patriots don't make a serious push to the championship. Last year they were one play away from another trophy. Even look at the Colts, obviously they won the championship last season, but they lost people and no one really took a big pay cut to go play for them; they came to NE instead.

Kraft is running this organization like a company aspiring to be a monopoly in its industry. Best yet is no other team can even copy this strategy if they don't win the Super Bowl and show consistently each year they are making a deep push.

After another successful season and after we lose a few players to retirement and free agency look carefully at the quality veteran players knocking at the Patriots door. If the veteran players come in and at less then market value . . . a NFL monopoly will have been born with no stopping it in sight.

Jeez that was a short season. I knew I'd forget to wake up after one of these naps.

So did we go undefeated?

The last 3 years have shown there is no monopoly in the NFL. The team with the most playoff victories over that span (us) didn't even win the Super Bowl. The teams with the best record in the league (Colts, Chargers, Pats) didn't win the Super Bowl. The teams that have won the Super Bowl in those 3 years didn't win a playoff game in the other 2. Not to mention the most dominant team in league history didn't win the Super Bowl.

The NFL isn't going to come out and say it, but I bet they are damn happy that the Pats haven't won in a while, but are still featured in the big games like the '06 AFCCG and SB42. Pats=ratings, Pats losing=general NFL fan happiness. And they get to promote the Mannings even more, which makes me sick to my stomach but apparently the rest of the country loves dem good ol' boys :rolleyes:

Yeah but don't guys like THe Iron Sheikh and stuff have to actually WIN the belt for the good guy wrassler to beat him again next time?

We need some more Darth Vrabel moments here, commish! Come on they can't hate us enough to drive ratings without just that one more ring...

someone needs to show this doof a map. boston is on the coast. and san diego a glam town? try a sleepy little border town with zero sports tradition that will be losing its football team like it lost several nba teams , maybe to chula vista. that sounds pretty glamorous. and just to totally destroy your theory, there are no teams in ny.

I'm not sure if the Patriots will still have a monopoly...the Eagles refuse to trade Park Place, BB has yet to get all the railroads, and he has yet to land on free parking.

I'm not sure if the Patriots will still have a monopoly...the Eagles refuse to trade Park Place, BB has yet to get all the railroads, and he has yet to land on free parking.

Well if Goodell has his way....we will always be in jail and every team will be just visiting us! Do not pass go, do not collect $200....

It's no different than it has been. Veterans without a ring like Rodney and Seau will play here at a cheap price - but veterans with rings, like Asante, will leave with their rings and a shrug. It helps bring cheap veterans in but makes it easy for guys like Givens, Branch and Graham to leave.

Do you think that the reason that they let these guys leave is because they're injury prone? As we speak, none of these guys are healthy. I was looking at Graham last night, granted it's a preseason game, with another injury. Why would the Patriots want to invest top dollar in a player that can't stay on the field?

Dude, do you really think all the good vets are gonna come here and ignore all the money? No goddamn way, it didn't happen when we won 3 superbowls, it wont happen now. However, the way some homers on this board can be, just about anyone who walks through the door will be a great vet.

way to be a first class ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft