PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wimbley vs. Mincey Measurables

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this isn't taken out of context like my Braylon Edwards vs. Chad Jackson one kind of was. I'm not saying measurable make the player. But they are interesting to look at as our coaching staff does a good job turning measurables into players.

Anyway.

Wimbley :

Ht : 6'4"
Wt : 248
40 : 4.61
20 : 2.74
10 : 1.60
Bench : 24
Vert : 38.5"
Broad : 10'9"
Shuttle : 4.48
Cone : 6.98

Mincey :

Ht : 6'4"
Wt : 259
40 : 4.76
20 : 2.81
10 : 1.70
Bench : 27
Vert : 33.5"
Broad : 9'8"
Shuttle : 4.25
Cone : 7.01

Interesting numbers. Actually fairly close considering that Mincey is 10 pounds heavier. The two that stick out for Wimbley are the Vertical and Broad jumps. The agillity numnbers, though, are impressive for Mincey - he's actually noticeably better in the shuttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting. It would be fantastic if Mincey can play at all - getting younger at LB is imperative. Doing so with a 6th rounder (among others) would be BE-A-UTIFUL.

I believe profootballweekly reported that Mincey ran in the low 4.6s on his private workout with the Pats. You are right on. There is minimal difference between Mincey and Wimbley. That is not to say Mincey is a first rdr... just that Phil Savage was crazy to draft Wimbley that early. Wimbley gets washed out against the run, doesn't show up on every down but looks like Tarzan. Here is an interesting article about the perils of overdrafting 3-4 players, with BB quoted:http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=288369&Category=17 I think Savage was loco in this draft: skipping on Ngata for Wimbley, drafting that undersized ILB in rd 2. He's gonna get that kid, who would have excelled in a 4-3, injured quickly. I liked Oshinowo, but Savage seems like a strange bird. Combined with his recent religious comments he seems to be running an odd program... I think Mincey has about as good an opportunity to be a quality 3-4 OLB as Wimbley. He's bigger, tougher, more durable and has a better motor.

PonyExpress said:
I believe profootballweekly reported that Mincey ran in the low 4.6s on his private workout with the Pats.
It wouldn't surprise me. The numbers I posted were all from the Combine, I thought it was better to post them as it's an apples to apples comparison on the same track, etc.

But at Mincey's pro day, the 4.76 40 turned into a 4.68. And the 9'8" broad jump turned into a 10'1". So if he ran a 4.68 at his pro day, a low 4.6 time at a private workout is wholly reasonable.

FWIW, at the pro day he still weighed 259 but was a slightly short 6'3.4". Wimbley's pro day was about the same height 6'3.7" and he improved his shuttle to a Mincey-esque 4.22.

Here's the headline after the young OLB has four sacks against the Bills..

Pats D makes MINCEmeat out of hapless Bills....Mincey rides out of town like Buffalo Bill

The most interesting thing about Mincey if you watch any of the highlight packages out there on him, is that he's shows up against the run in a big way. There's the requisite "blow by the tackle on a wide rush and steamroll the QB from the blindside" highlights, but there are a bunch of him not just shooting a gap and blowing up a running play, but going straight through one and sometimes two blockers and making the play on the runner. A couple plays against inside runs with him lined up wide saw him shed a guard then trample a fullback to get to the runner. I think he ultimately has a future with the team, if he can translate that success against the run to the pros, because against college competition in this context, he looked like a man playing against boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case