PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Cushing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it was a great cruise except for the iceberg.

Ok, I would consider a fine prospect if there were no sterioids rumored, no injuries, no supplement issue, and I expected him to be able 10-20 pounds to his frame as is not unusual with a college kid coming to the pros.

I guess that is basically my whole point here - after watching him play I just think he would be a very good SILB in our defense, which is why I was looking for more opinions on him because it seems like not many people agree. The whole steroid and injury history thing is really a separate issue because I am not his athletic trainer and have no clue what he is taking or if he is damaged good, but from a playing standpoint alone I think he would be a good fit.

Fair enough, I agree that he's the better choice from the four USC lads, but when I watch him I see a better 4-3 kid than a 3-4 kid. Like I said, he's priced to high for me.

I have no idea why anyone would consider Matthews at SILB before Cushing, but that's just me.

Next year's draft should have better SILB prospects than Cushing (Ro McClain, Brandon Spikes, Micah Johnson etc..) so grabbing one of the guys you mentioned, who are all good prospects, and hoping for one of those guys next year is definitely not a bad way to go either.

I think it just shows even more how special Mayo was, if out of all the LBs in this draft nobody can agree on 1 first day player who would be an ideal pick.

k, I would consider a fine prospect if there were no sterioids rumored, no injuries, no supplement issue, and I expected him to be able 10-20 pounds to his frame as is not unusual with a college kid coming to the pros.

Don't forget the "meathead" issue (and in my quote above from an NFL scout it was definitely not meant as a compliment).

Other than those things, I love the kid. :D

my bad, correction accepted :)

Don't forget the "meathead" issue (and in my quote above from an NFL scout it was definitely not meant as a compliment).

23 on the Wonderlic...:idontgetit: Meat head would be a what???

Yahoo!

I'll stand by it. Though you don't get to see much in a highlight video.

Last edited:
23 on the Wonderlic...:idontgetit: Meat head would be a what???

23 on the Wonderlic would not be particularly impressive, either way. Anyway, I'm merely questioning his football instincts and intelligence; I'm not comparing him to Emmit Smith. I cited one quote by an NFL scout that expressed concern about him repeatedly making wrong reads. I think that is enough to suggest that he may have less than ideal ability to figure out what is going on in a complex defensive scheme. It's a small thing compared to the other issues, and it may turn out to be a false issue, but that's where I was coming from.

For me, it doesn't matter. He could be a 255 lb. Einstein on the field. I'd still be scared of him. Much more intrigued and enticed than I currently am, yes. But still scared.

Cushing will be in the Green Room on Draft Day. Obviously many think highly of Cushing.

Cushing will be in the Green Room on Draft Day. Obviously many think highly of Cushing.

Cushing's only there because Sanchez turned them down.

In the interest of being fair, after repeatedly saying that Cushing is not on my board, I should mention that Rick Gosselin just listed him as the #2 LB in the draft after Aaron Curry:

NFL draft series: Linebackers | NFL News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Just as a note of clarification, Gosselin seems to be looking at the players through the lens of a 4-3 defense; a lot of the players we've been debating he has listed under defensive ends.

I have no idea why anyone would consider Matthews at SILB before Cushing, but that's just me.

And me, too. If we didn't already have Mayo, then I would consider Matthews at WILB. But we do, so Matthews is therefore removed from consideration. Besides, I still think that Houston takes him at 17.

I'd rather have Maualuga at SILB than Cushing, but I wouldn't consider either of them until 47. There is simply too much quality at positions of more immed. need to consider them any earlier - though I do feel strongly about acquiring a SILB of the future.

If the FO believes that Crable can help this season, then Adalius can either move inside next to Mayo (with Woods at the other OLB) or he can man the other OLB spot (with Bruschi at SILB). But if Chicken Legs is still another year away, then Adalius must stay at OLB, and SILB becomes a higher priority.

Either way, the FO should still sign Jason Taylor as a stopgap at OLB, just as it should've signed Andra Davis as the stopgap at SILB...and Sean Jones at SS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye