PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Cushing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cushing is not on my board. It has been reported that he takes $1100 worth of supplements to maintain a weight of 243 and he's dumber than dirt. He is injury prone and has been rumored to have taken steriods. The issues with his play has been noted by Box. This not a patriot type of 1st rounder or almost first rounder.

There are just many better uses of an early pick than Cushing. I do NOT think that we are desparate for a back-up on Day One. There are several reasonable players that should be available in the third and fourth rounds. I am fine with picking one early, but we shouldn't feel desparation.

If want to consider an ILB early (one who might develop within a year), there is Laurinitis, Maualuga, Matthews, Sintim and perhaps others. I'm fine with any of these at 23 or 34 if Belichick's sees the need and the value.

Cushing is not on my board. It has been reported that he takes $1100 worth of supplements to maintain a weight of 243 and he's dumber than dirt. He is injury prone and has been rumored to have taken steriods. The issues with his play has been noted by Box. This not a patriot type of 1st rounder or almost first rounder.

There are just many better uses of an early pick than Cushing. I do NOT think that we are desparate for a back-up on Day One. There are several reasonable players that should be available in the third and fourth rounds. I am fine with picking one early, but we shouldn't feel desparation.

If want to consider an ILB early (one who might develop within a year), there is Laurinitis, Maualuga, Matthews, Sintim and perhaps others. I'm fine with any of these at 23 or 34 if Belichick's sees the need and the value.

So what happens if we pick Cushing at #23? Do you have a link to a scource that says he spends x amount of dollars on "supplements, and how do you know he is dumb?

Cushing is not on my board either. All those things you mentioned scare me, but most of all the physical evidence strongly suggesting steroid use in the past. I think he is a better 4-3 SLB than a 3-4 LB (inside or out), I have questions about his stiffness and about his intelligence. But most of all, until proven otherwise, I would not take him because of the steroid issue. I probably feel more strongly than most that he has a likely history of use.

So what happens if we pick Cushing at #23? Do you have a link to a scource that says he spends x amount of dollars on "supplements, and how do you know he is dumb?

Nothing happens. If BB wants to risk it that's his business, unless Cushing gets caught. Then it would become a huge public issue. If he sees enough in the player to justify the risk and considers the exposure minimal then that's his call.

how do you know he is dumb?

This from an anonymous NFL scout per Nolan Nawrocki at Pro Football Weekly yesterday: “If you watched (USC LB Brian) Cushing at his pro day, he opened up the wrong way twice in drills. He did the same thing once at the Combine. He’s a meathead. Rey Maualuga is going to need some reps, too. It won’t be instant for him. The safest linebacker of that group is Clay Matthews.”

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

If NFL scouts are calling him a "meathead" I think his football smarts can be at least questioned.

The $1100 is from an article a couple of months ago, and we are talking about supplements not steriods which was a separate but related issue.

What happens if Belichick drafts Cushing? He'll be our hero and future pro-bowler. We'd trust that belichick has done his homework on all the known and rumored issues. And we will trust that he has figured out how a 243 pound linebacker fits in to our schemes.

BTW, I am a fan of all the rest of the USC defenders, so this has nothing to do with USC.

What most posters here is post their opinions, what they hope the team will do, what they expect the team to do, and analysis. We develop our own boards and critcize the opinions and boards of others.

As far as me personally, Cushing is the most overrated player in the draft.

This from an anonymous NFL scout per Nolan Nawrocki at Pro Football Weekly yesterday: “If you watched (USC LB Brian) Cushing at his pro day, he opened up the wrong way twice in drills. He did the same thing once at the Combine. He’s a meathead. Rey Maualuga is going to need some reps, too. It won’t be instant for him. The safest linebacker of that group is Clay Matthews.”

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

If NFL scouts are calling him a "meathead" I think his football smarts can be at least questioned.

Mayock said that he likes being called a meathead and Mayock means it in a good way (He is a weight room warrior)-This is straight from Mr.Mayocks mouth himself. Im just saying what happened to IBBWT? This whole "Id be ok with...at..." is pretty funny seeing how non of us are making the pick. What do you do if a dolphin fan comes up to you and starts talking about how we picked an alleged steroid user and so on. We need to start looking at the positives of some of these players not the negatives. One day you could be absolutely trashing a guy and the next day he could be our selection at #23. Then what?

02/10/09 - NFL Draft Scout Fallers: Brian Cushing, OLB, USC: By most accounts Cushing was among the more impressive linebackers throughout the week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Rather than focusing on his athleticism and instincts on the field, however, scouts in the stands were buzzing about reports that Cushing spends thousands of dollars a month on nutritional supplements. While no one is claiming Cushing's supplements should be confused with illegal steroids, it does raise questions about how maxed out Cushing might be -- questions that could push the All-American down the board considering the top-end talent this year at linebacker. - Rob Rang, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com
Maxed out is a concern for me.
02/23/09 - Cushing walked up to the podium at his news conference on Saturday afternoon and looked serious, spoke seriously and looked agitated. He knew what was eventually coming, and before long, indeed, it did. “I don’t understand where it is coming from, I was tested last December at USC and passed, one of several tests I have passed. I was tested this morning here at the combine and those results should be out in a couple of weeks to a month, I believe. I think people are trying to find something, anything, that would detract from what I have done on the field. You learn in life if it’s not one thing, it’s the other. I hope once I pass the test here that this will be put behind me. I’m really hoping for that.” And that is key. If the combine test shows Cushing steroids free, that should resolve this issue, this whisper turned into rumor turned into questions. He is not the first player at the combine to endure such scrutiny. He will not be the last. It is out there. It has stuck. An NFL general manager, requesting anonymity, said: “We’ve been warned it is an issue and might have been one since high school. We are considering that. As unpleasant as it is, this is an issue with this player that only a negative test here is going to clear up right now. It’s unfortunate, because no one wants to kill the kid, but the issue is a reality.” - Thomas George, NFL.com
Until he does test positive, I'm not buying. The most recent report has been challenged by his agent and I don't think the NFL would have invited him to the greenroom if there had been a positive test - he's as clean as any other kid we're tracking.

One day you could be absolutely trashing a guy and the next day he could be our selection at #23. Then what?
Then I start reassessing my criteria trying to understand where what I was seeing differed when BB made the choice. I didn't have Chad Jackson on my board, and I didn't have Shawn Crable - I really, really hope the latter turns out better.

Here is his scouting report from the Sporting News:

Against inside run: Shows the size and strength to take on blockers strongly and aggressively on the second level. Holds his ground and flashes the ability to shed blocks and make the tackle. Closes quickly on inside runs away and drives up into the ballcarrier to deliver hard, violent hits. Grade: 7.0

Against outside run: Maintains outside containment. Locks up the blocker quickly. While chasing the ballcarrier, shows the acceleration, speed and closing burst to finish plays. Grade: 8.0

Blitz/coverage: Is not a polished or explosive pass rusher. Lacks a variety of pass-rush moves. Shows the ball skills to make a play on the ball to break up or intercept the pass. Is quick and smooth dropping deep into pass coverage. Shows excellent awareness of receivers moving in and out of his area. Grade: 8.5

Run/pass recognition: Shows natural instincts. Is not fooled by play-action fakes or misdirection plays. Does not make mental mistakes. Carries out his responsibilities and assignments. Grade: 8.5

Pursuit/tackling: Reads plays quickly. Takes good angles to the ballcarrier, catching faster opponents. Shows legitimate sideline range. Grade: 8.5

Bottom line: Cushing has received a ton of hype, from when he was a highly recruited high school player through his time with USC. While he has incredible natural athleticism, Cushing hasn't been the dominant defender as expected. However, much of that can be traced to his switching positions often, as he played defensive end and outside linebacker and middle linebacker while with the Trojans. He could line up at any position in the NFL, but his best fit is at strongside linebacker. Cushing's strong traits should make him a productive three-down NFL linebacker.

Lots of contradicting reports out there.

Yes, there are, and some would draft Cushing in the mid-first round. Few of us posting here would take such a risk, expecially considering who will be available at LB and at other positions.

Until he does test positive, I'm not buying. The most recent report has been challenged by his agent and I don't think the NFL would have invited him to the greenroom if there had been a positive test - he's as clean as any other kid we're tracking.

Not for me he isn't. As I said, I probably feel more strongly about this than others, but clean test or no he's off my board. That's just me. If BB takes him, then I hope I'm wrong (which I hope anyway, for the kid's sake).

Yes, there are, and some would draft Cushing in the mid-first round. Few of us posting here would take such a risk, expecially considering who will be available at LB and at other positions.

At ILB, who do you think would be a better fit?

Always, that's why I made more of an effort to record and watch games last Fall to get "eyes on" as many prospects as I could manage. I stick with NFL Draft Scout because at the end of the day my eyes tend to see most of the same things they saw. They have Cushing as their #2 OLB, but they rate OLBs as 4-3 targets as opposed to 3-4, so you have to interpolate with their reports - or sometimes shake you head and say "no F-ing way!" :D For example: I never saw Maualuga play anything like they describe.

If he was available at the end of the second, I'd give him a shot, but not in round one. I think there are kids Day Two just as good if not better, who can bulk up easier to the playing weight and strength they'll need for a NE 3-4.

Not for me he isn't. As I said, I probably feel more strongly about this than others, but clean test or no he's off my board. That's just me. If BB takes him, then I hope I'm wrong (which I hope anyway, for the kid's sake).

Same for me. I have been around enough users of anabolic steroids and other PED's to know when to call a spade a spade.

There is no doubt in my mind that Cushing has used. None what so ever.

Maualuga, Matthews, Sintim and my ILB binky Laurinitis are all better prospects at 23, 34 and 47.

Box has posted several list of 3-4 ILB prospects for the later rounds.

Many of us like Jason Phillips and Brinkley. Ellerbe, McKillop and Beckwith are also possibilities.

The patriots are looking for a player who will be a major contributer in 2010 when Bruschi will likely retire.

Last edited:
Always, that's why I made more of an effort to record and watch games last Fall to get "eyes on" as many prospects as I could manage. I stick with NFL Draft Scout because at the end of the day my eyes tend to see most of the same things they saw. They have Cushing as their #2 OLB, but they rate OLBs as 4-3 targets as opposed to 3-4, so you have to interpolate with their reports - or sometimes shake you head and say "no F-ing way!" :D For example: I never saw Maualuga play anything like they describe.

If he was available at the end of the second, I'd give him a shot, but not in round one. I think there are kids Day Two just as good if not better, who can bulk up easier to the playing weight and strength they'll need for a NE 3-4.

I guess that is basically my whole point here - after watching him play I just think he would be a very good SILB in our defense, which is why I was looking for more opinions on him because it seems like not many people agree. The whole steroid and injury history thing is really a separate issue because I am not his athletic trainer and have no clue what he is taking or if he is damaged good, but from a playing standpoint alone I think he would be a good fit.

I like Jason Williams, Tyrone McKenzie, Jason Phillips, Frantz Joseph, Robert Francois, and Mike Rivera all of whom are Day Two projections. Williams could be Mayo's twin except he's a former RB who plays downhill like he's crashing the hole for a TD, he really racks up the TFL. If he can add another 10 lbs and learn to use his hands to stack & shed, :woohoo: .

There are also some other kids who might transition: Henry Melton (former RB who has been learning how to play DE for Texas); Dan Skuta small school DE; BB may be thinking of Lawrence Sidbury as a conversion; Phillip Hunt; Stryker Sulak; Nick Reed...any number of possible conversions.

And that isn't accounting for Guyton and Ruud who've both had the benefit of Coach Woicik's conditioning, I also thought Angelo Craig was a possibility for SILB when I watched him at Cincinnati in 2007, he was signed to the Practice Squad and is still with the team. :cool:

Maualuga, Matthews, Sintim and my ILB binky Laurinitis are all better prospects at 23, 34 and 47.

Box has posted several list of 3-4 ILB prospects for the later rounds.

I think it would be pretty fair to argue that Cushing is better than Maualuga, Matthews and Laurinitis at most of those categories that Box listed as a 3-4 ILB for the Pats. Matthews obviously has more fluid hips, but that's about it. And why is everyone who is throwing Cushing under the bus giving Matthews the free pass on the roids discussion? Cushing gets called a meathead and then Maualuga gets brought up? Hmm..Sintim wouldn't be a bad option, but is more of a conversion and would probably be better off taking a flier on one of those day two guys.

I guess that is basically my whole point here - after watching him play I just think he would be a very good SILB in our defense, which is why I was looking for more opinions on him because it seems like not many people agree. The whole steroid and injury history thing is really a separate issue because I am not his athletic trainer and have no clue what he is taking or if he is damaged good, but from a playing standpoint alone I think he would be a good fit.
Fair enough, I agree that he's the better choice from the four USC lads, but when I watch him I see a better 4-3 kid than a 3-4 kid. Like I said, he's priced to high for me.

I have no idea why anyone would consider Matthews at SILB before Cushing, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News