PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Williams (2,45), Harris (3,87) Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no reason why Harris can’t beat out Mr. 9 lives Burkhead. You’d think that’s why they drafted him last year to get him out of here.

Williams should be able to push McCourty. Jackson should ascend to be the full time outside CB opposite Gilmore.

1.) J.C. Jackson and James White are both in contract years. So, JJ and Harris might be pipeline replacements.

See the qualifications below. if we coming into the 2020 (or 2019) draft, how high a draft choice would be appropriate for such a player. I'd guess 4th or 5th.

1) possible emergency backup if there are 2 injuries at your position in Year 1 or 2
2) Year 3 Plan B in case on the players at your position leaves
3) talent to eventually start
===================
Some folks believe that Harris was drafted to be Burkhead's backup (and almost no reps even then) and then compete with Michel in Year 2. I guess that is sort of reasonable.

Williams simply seemed to be the best value defensive back available in the 2nd round of the 2019. And sure, if there were 2 injuries we might use him (did we?). And sure, he is an emergency backup if there are 2 injuries in his second year (do we have any other uses for him in 2020?). Yes, I suppose that Williams would be the first player off the bench if Jackson or Jones didn't continue being quality players.

In conclusion, Belichick always needs a defensive back in the 2nd (or at latest 3rd round) if he perceives any quality at all.

And I hope Harris really gives Michel a run at the RB1 position. As a reminder of what he can do...

I like Sony, and appreciate what he contributed to our 2018 SB run, but I‘ve had this feeling ever since Harris was drafted that he will end up being a better RB than Sony. On film, he seems much more decisive, explosive and he doesn’t suffer from the knee/leg injuries that Sony did/does.

Last edited:
easy.......the harris pick happened because even guys like vereen and white didn't get much of a chance in their 1st 2 years......it takes time to get the right for Brady. It would appear that they did not want to wind up without a guy with some time in camps, etc during the brady era....the pick was likely made with having brady be here, but he will still be useful for depth and beyond

as for williams, he's a physical specimen who I still see as part of the plan at DB.....he's pretty versatile.

the picks don't make as much sense today because of how things have changed.....but having too many RB's is better than having too few

To be clear, I accept Belichick's judgement on the draft. I focus on positions, not the choice of player. And, yes (strangely to some, I'm sure), I'm fine with every choice in 2020 and all but two in 2019. That's really high "praise".

That being said, I don't understand the 2019 choices of CB Williams (2,45) or RB Harris (3,87).

Harris seems to be an emergency backup #4 RB (ahead of Bolden in that role).

Williams is so not needed at CB (except for being the #5 CB in his second year if McCourty didn't come back). Williams is so not needed at CB that we presumed that he surely would be playing safety in his second year. And then we signed Phillips and drafted Duggar. So, perhaps Williams might be safety convert in his 3rd year, and an emergency backup DB this year.

Nothing seems surprising about harris and Williams. basically, they seem to be what we thought they were. So, why, oh why, were they worth being drafted at 45 and 87. If there was no trade partner for 45, we might have drafted Winovich there and traded out his spot. The bottom line is that these picks made no sense then, or now.
When we drafted Williams the only corners under contract beyond 2019 were Gilmore and an UDFA who just completed his rookie year. That probably has something to do with it.
As far as Harris didn’t we have to use a WR as a starting RB for a few games during the 2018 season? I’d assume that factored in.
Guess my guesses.

See the qualifications below. if we coming into the 2020 (or 2019) draft, how high a draft choice would be appropriate for such a player. I'd guess 4th or 5th.

1) possible emergency backup if there are 2 injuries at your position in Year 1 or 2
2) Year 3 Plan B in case on the players at your position leaves
3) talent to eventually start
===================
Some folks believe that Harris was drafted to be Burkhead's backup (and almost no reps even then) and then compete with Michel in Year 2. I guess that is sort of reasonable.

Williams simply seemed to be the best value defensive back available in the 2nd round of the 2019. And sure, if there were 2 injuries we might use him (did we?). And sure, he is an emergency backup if there are 2 injuries in his second year (do we have any other uses for him in 2020?). Yes, I suppose that Williams would be the first player off the bench if Jackson or Jones didn't continue being quality players.

In conclusion, Belichick always needs a defensive back in the 2nd (or at latest 3rd round) if he perceives any quality at all.

Also, JJ would probably see the field more if our guys start getting abused by a big receiver.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back