Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will Wilfork be here in 2014?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brady6, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Brady6

Brady6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 6 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Recently I have heard mention in threads about whether Wilfork will be here in 2014. The primary reason behind this is obviously his $11.6 million cap hit combined with him coming off Achilles surgery and the fact he just turned 32 years old back on the 4th of this month. In my opinion they will restructure him and extend him out through 2016 on a team friendly deal, I say this because I think Wilfork is a team first guy who likes playing in New England. My belief/hope aside I have to say even if he doesn’t restructure I am bringing Vince back in 2014 and dealing with his cap number.

What would you do? What do you think the team will do? :attention2:
  2. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    My guess is that even Belichick doesn't currently know at this point. Many of the personnel decisions are based on other factors.

For instance, the most important factor in this case will likely be his ability to regain form and return to health; but there are also other issues such as who we will keep (Sopoaga, Kelly, Armstead), along with drafting/free agency decisions.

I think that Belichick often makes these decisions when the time comes, so that he is able to weigh in all of the proper variables.
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

The team or I would extend Wilfork if he is willing and able to continue as a player. That is nowhere as likely as many think.
  4. Bravo777

Bravo777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I can't really tell until the offseason. My immediate reaction would be yes, but that's just my opinion.
  5. old 55

old 55 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Are you projecting that he won't recover enough to resume his NFL career?
  6. 2000army

2000army Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Op... How many threads are you going to start?
  7. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

I am NOT projecting. I am simply stating that we tend to ignore the possibility that Wilfork will not be physically able to continue his career.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Who knows but not at his current contract, we'd save $7.5M by moving on. More likely we'll have Jones, Vellano, Armstead and a rookie at DT.
  9. 1960Pats

1960Pats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    I sure hope Wilfork is here in 2014.

Will he be here?

Yes!
  10. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#95 Jersey
    i hope so...but who knows :confused:
  11. fumbrunner

fumbrunner Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Impossible to say until he starts rehabbing his injury. That is a tough injury to overcome for any athlete. You throw in his weight, and who knows.

If he could play, and isn't a shadow of himself, then i would agree that guess will probably be right.

Way to early to tell at this point.
  12. 1960Pats

1960Pats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    I think that it scares us to think of him as gone.
  13. mgteich

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

If neither Wilfork nor Kelly come back, I suspect that we would bring back Sopoaga.

14. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Off the top of my head I can't think of one NFL player of Wilforks size that has come off of this type of injury and been the same player afterwards.
  15. Brady6

Brady6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 6 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I think this is it for a while, I got a little thread happy during the bye week. I will be reeling it in.
  16. Brady6

Brady6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 6 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I think you're very smart to point this out, most including I assume he will just bounce back but at his age who know and we also have to consider he never has had to rehab from a major injury like this before so who knows how his body will respond.
  17. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Which players of his size had achilles injuries?
  18. PATRlOT

PATRlOT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Why do you write your reply ABOVE the quote and not below it like every other forum member I've seen (that includes 6+ other forums I visit)

Just wondering...
  19. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Have many people been saying that this is likely? It is a tough injury to return from given the nature of his position and his physical size, but it has been done before at an all-pro level and Wilfork is something of a physical freak.

I would say don't bet against him returning due to that quality, but it wouldn't surprise me if he cannot return.
  20. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm torn on this. There is no arguing that Wilfork is a great dt, but our run defense didn't significantly worsen until Mayo went down. And I am enjoying the increased pass rush without him imo. But I did like the Kelly/Wilfork duo which gave us something similar to the Vikings William wall.

I'm going to have to see how our run d looks by the end of the year before I can even truly guess.
  21. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    It depends on how his achilles heals, really. He's a big man, on the other side of 30, and has one of the hardest injuries to rehab from in the NFL. Combine that with what he does, which is essentially eat up space and take on two blockers at the point of attack (something that requires a high amount of stress on the injured area), and he has a long way back. If he can't recover fully, which is a very real possibility, the team might part ways with him and target a DT either in FA or through the draft. If he can, then I'd certainly hope they would bring him back.
  22. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

ALSO, BB played hard ball with VW the last time he was up for a contract when he was at the peak of he career. I thought VW was gone, the guy had to practically beg for a contract. So with that history it seems theres a very good possibility that the Pats won't give him a serious offer.
  23. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Honestly I don't know of too many. Jason Taylor comes to mind. He was also on the other side of thirty and declining anyway. Terrell Suggs doesn't seem the same player. Ryan Howard of the Phillies but that could be juice related? Lawrence Taylor, same thing,other side of 30.

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture | Lower Extremity Review Magazine

One-third of NFL players with Achilles tendon injuries sidelined

Basically 1/3 don't come back, of the 2/3 that do come back its suggested their performance is not the same as preinjury.

I do think there is a good chance he will come back though, he has got a lot of heart and there are some instances where they dominate again. Just haven't found any in players that size yet.
  24. Brady6

Brady6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 6 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Very sad to think of Vince Wilfork not being on this team, one of my favorite players of all time who has done so much for this franchise and the community we live in.
  25. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What is scary is that that 3 of the top 5 cap hits for next year are on IR this year (Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer)......and #6 and #7 on this list are chronic injury candidates (Gronk and Amendola). And #3 Mankins......let's put it this way....Mankins should buy his agent expensive gifts every day of the year.
    At least we have our 37 year old QB :)
  26. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

He won't be back unless he takes some sort of pay cut in either a straight pay cut or an extension. I doubted he would play next year under that cap number before he was injured, but now his leverage in a renegotionation is gone which makes it more likely he will refuse pay cut and the Pats will be forced to release him.

Unfortunately for Vince, the league is moving away from his style of players. At his age, he is likely going to be more of a two down player and most teams are moving towards guys in the mold of JJ Watt in fast and taller DTs as the guys who can rush the passer and block throwing lanes with his hands. The big bodied run stuffers like Vince (although Vince can play on passing downs) are becoming less of big money getters.

It will come down to whether Vince is willing to redo his deal and accept the fact that he is older coming off a major injury and his style of play is dwindling in priority for teams. A lot of players get insulted and force a cut only to make about the same money or even less somewhere else. It will ultimately be up to Vince IMHO.
  27. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    I'm not saying he will or won't, but comparing him with pass rushers, WRs, RBs etc. doesn't serve much purpose.

He's bigger, of course and puts strain on it, but he doesn't have to be the incredibly agile player he was to still be better than most tackles because of his strength, technique etc.

You certainly couldn't say that about a pass rusher or skill player where a fraction of a second loss turns them from top performers to also rans.

Good article, but since none of the players you mentioned plays a similar position to Wilfork, it's all right to say you don't know.

Personally, I think he either cannot perform physically, or possibly becomes a good, not great, tackle in the NFL, many of which get plenty of snaps. We need a top young player there anyway (imo), since we don't have another dominating player at that position and Vince is getting old anyway.
  28. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2014 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

All things considered: age, injury, his 2013 play, and 7.5 million saved if cut, IMO he's gone in 2014. Sopoaga is an easy cut as well that saves 3.3 million.

That's an easy 10.8 million added to our cap for the offseason. That leaves us with Chris Jones, Tommy Kelly, Joe Vellano, and Armond Armstead for next season. Adding a 2nd-3rd round DT and a cheap offseason signing should make the position fine. Jones is a starter and hopefully one of Vellano/Armstead/rookie shows something in camp to be starting caliber.
  29. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Injuries suck and Mankins might be a goner next year as well. I'm not sure how someone can troll for almost a decade, but you're coming up on that anniversary. Congrats! :cool:
  30. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Those are/were speed guys, Wilfork has to hold his ground and clog up the middle. Not sure its comparable.