PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will/Should we sign Samuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will /Should we sign Samuel?

I agree about Wilfork but not much else. Samuel is clearly superior to Gay, Hobbs is nothing special and he can be replaced when he leaves after 2009.

Richardson looked solid? Not much of a sample to go on.

I love Mankins but I would rather spend big money on a CB than a guard, and I really really like Mankins.

Hobbs is nothing special? He played bigtime in last years colts game. He's a gamer and doesn't back down.

If the pats have agreed not to franchise samuel they should transition him.

This will make a difference going into the draft
Think we can afford to keep him? I hate to see him just walk and get nothing!

Great Question.
The answer is we will offer him good compensation, however he will be offered more elsewhere...he will take that paycheck and we will get a 3rd round CP pick...

We should? We should pay him more than anyone in the league, plus a premiuim to get him to chose New England?

We'll appreciate him more when he is gone? When have patriot fans ever appreciated a player once he leaves?

My prediction is that we'll offer him what we will all call a more than "fair" deal. Many will criticize the Front Office for not signing him, ignoring the cost and the wants of Samuel. And then we will criticize his play for other teams, and keep posting how stupid he was not to stay.

Just guessing here: We should, but we probably won't. And we'll miss him more when he's gone than we appreciate him when he's here.

Ty Law
Lyawyer Milloy
Deion Branch
David Givens
Ted Washington
Willie Mcginest

In Bill we trust. Only time that didn't pan out was the Branch/Givens losses which wasn't due to them being some great players, but due to us having absolutely no depth in that position.

That being said, we need a guy who can take his place if we do.

Great Question.
The answer is we will offer him good compensation, however he will be offered more elsewhere...he will take that paycheck and we will get a 3rd round CP pick...

don't jump to conclusion on comp picks... it's what you lose versus what you bring in.

Of course they should. However, he will want more than Clements and deserves more than Clements. Some stupid team that wants to cripple their cap will overpay him. Although, I hope the Pats can work out a deal.

maybe not...he may have overplayed his hand...anyway, I want to keep him but as we've seen, DB is not a real area of concern for the Pats braintrust when it comes to expenditures

Ty Law
In Bill we trust. Only time that didn't pan out was the Branch/Givens losses which wasn't due to them being some great players, but due to us having absolutely no depth in that position.

I would actually take Randy Moss and that top 5 SF pick over Deion Branch, maybe it's just me. :D

we will try to resign him... but assante is playing on a very high level right now, proving last year is not a fluke... he felt that the patriots fo gave him a unfair deal, so i think he will go with another team next year... i really like him signed with us because he always keeps himself healthy and he is a playmaker...

im a big fan of samuel, he made great strides in his development as a player and he deserves nate clements money if he gets it somewhere else...

How exactly did the trade of a 2007 draft pick help the lack of receivers in the 2006-2007 season? :)

I would actually take Randy Moss and that top 5 SF pick over Deion Branch, maybe it's just me. :D

The point you made was we should have kept Branch and/or Givens and paid them what they wanted. That would have been foolish. Just because the Pats couldn't find replacements for last year does not mean they should have overpaid and tied themselves down to overvalued players for 5-6 years instead of biting the bullet for 1 year and setting themselves up much better for the next 4-5 years. You can argue the Pats swung and missed in the draft and free agency last year filling their WR needs, but you can't possibly argue the Pats should have paid Branch or Givens the money they ended up getting.

It must be the bye weekend but I disagree with just about everything in this post as well. Samuel has said maybe 3 words since he got here, Hobbs was born yapping his mouth. Not sure what the connection between being verbose and on field production but clearly the silent one is a much better corner than Hobbs or Gay.

If BB loved ready steady Randall why doesn't he start him instead of Samuel? Samuel is in another league and he will 'Get Paid' because he is damn good. Is he better because of the excellent front seven he plays with? of course, but he is young, understands the system and improving. I wouldn't rule out the Patriots signing him long term but don't think it will happen. He is the type of player you build your cornerbacks around, Gay is a pretty good JAG but nothing to write home about (and just a tad bit prone to injury).

First off, you are comparing apples and oranges. Hobbs, not counting his speed and ST versatility, is playing at least as well as Samuel did in the first 2.5 years of his career. How really quickly some of you forget bad, bad, bad Asante circa 2005. Because he's only in his second full NFL season it's kinda hard not to say Gay wouldn't be as well except he's the nickle on this roster because Bill chose to retain Asante at the tag price and he showed up.

This team thrives on talented playmakers who are leaders. Samuel thus far has proven to be two of three. Hobbs, while not yet quite the playmaker at corner that Asante is with two more years under his belt, has been a playmaker particularly on ST and a team leader from the get go.

I still hope that given the $7.8M he now has banked Asante will be more reasonable this off season. But he's not getting even a phony 8 year $80M deal with another $22M guaranteed here. Asante is a zone corner and a ball hawk - and put in a position to win by BB's schemes and a great front 7 he has tremendous value. He's not an outstanding cover corner, nor would he be a shutdown corner with lesser coaching or on a lesser team.

It will really come down AGAIN to what Samuel believes he's worth vs. what Belioli believes he's worth to this team. And whether Asante is determined to be at the top of the scale or whether he cares more about being paid very well to win championships. The former player doesn't fit the system here, the latter does. I don't believe we currently have a player on the roster who is the highest paid at his position, and Asante won't be the first...in part because he's not THAT good. Top 5 WHEN playing on a great D with a superior front 7 and exceptional coaching, sure. But I've seen what he is when he's not, and so has Bill.

One of my favorite BB quotes, and probably one of your least favorites, is when Bill said "Ellis Hobbs is good for this team".

And as for future decisions, the game is won or lost in the trenches. If I had to choose between retaining Mankins or Samuel tomorrow, I'd take the pro bowl caliber guard over the corner, thanks. Especially since he's lined up next to Light...

it's a proven organizational strategy...what exactly have the Patriots lost not signing Milloy, Law etc etc.

It's the front seven that makes a defense

This is easy.
The Patriots will not sign Samuel
The Patriots SHOULD not sign Samuel.

He's being ridiculously overpaid as it is. There's not enough of a talent drop from Samuel to Gay to justify paying huge bucks to ***ANTE. Let him go toil in Carolina for 5 years, feed his family, and then we'll see where he stands.

Folks seem to be forgetting that Merriweather is taking either Geno or ***ANTE's spot and, oh yeah, the Patriots are probably going to have a bunch of first day picks next year.

Samuel's not important enough to sign for ridiculous money. ESPECIALLY if they're planning to keep Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe