PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will new UFL bring in Vick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPat'sFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Remember this guy???

Interesting article about the new UFL decribed as "The brand-new United Football League will only be a home to the NFL’s most wayward souls if fans of the league approve of it.":D:D

Maybe we should bring in Vick on a low ball contract with Pacman after we trade Cassel??? Before you kill me I am just joking:D:D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The UFL unveiled its plans to play in 2009 albeit on a smaller scale than originally planned with four franchises in place for a six-game schedule. Plans are to add between two and four more franchises for 2010.

UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue last year opened up the possibility of having currently incarcerated quarterback Michael Vick join the league if he is released from prison in time. He is currently serving a 23-month sentence on a federal dog fighting conviction, but could obtain an early release this summer.

Huyghue, as most Tennessee Titans fans know, is also the former agent for the infamous Adam “Pacman” Jones, who was officially waived by the Dallas Cowboys on Monday.

Jones, the Titans’ first-round pick in 2005, who was finally traded to Dallas last year after more than a year of suspension for a dozen off-field incidents, found himself suspended this year with the Cowboys and was eventually released.

Huyghue said his new league wouldn’t necessarily welcome such troubled types into its fold without fan approval.

“I think it’s too early to tell, because we’re, but we did talk about Michael Vick earlier,” Huyghue said. “We are a fan-driven league, and with those types of situations, we would put it on our web site and let our fans make the determination.”

Nashville attorney Worrick Robinson, who helps represent Jones, said he is hopeful of getting his client another shot in the NFL somewhere for 2009.

“Right now, we are looking for another opportunity somewhere in the NFL, and we wouldn’t look at anything else until we have exhausted every opportunity to stay in the league,” Robinson said.

Huyghue didn’t completely rule out players with such baggage joining the UFL, but said the league won’t be about being a safe harbor for players with behavioral issues.

“We are more of a league of opportunity for guys that haven’t been given the chance, more so than guys looking for second chance,” Huyghue said. “But every situation would have to be taken on a case-by-case basis.”

Huyghue said the league has not had any contact with Jones or Vick’s representatives.

The UFL’s focus, according to Huyghue and the league’s statement announcing its formation, will focus on college players and NFL players who don’t make it through final cuts.

“We’re more about second-year players that got cut and things like that — guys that may not be practice squad eligible and things like that,” Huyghue said.

Teams will be based in New York/Hartford, Conn., Las Vegas/Los Angeles, San Francisco/Sacramento and Orlando, Fla.

The teams that are splitting home locations will be based in the first city, but will play at least one home game in the second city with the league hoping to expand to that city the following year.

“The economy is kind of slow, so we figured we would start smaller and grow big rather than bite off ore than we can handle,” Huyghue said.

The league is scheduled to kick off in October and play games on Thursday and Friday nights.

Will new UFL bring in Vick? on Nashville City Paper

Last edited:
Screw that scumbag Vick. I can never forgive that pathetic bag of manure.

Screw that scumbag Vick. I can never forgive that pathetic bag of manure.

What disturbs me almost as much as Vick is the number of Falcons fans who still support him. A couple times this season I happened to turn on a Falcons home game and it was unbelievable how many of his jerseys people in the stands were still wearing. (and don't just say it's because of the bad economy, neither.)

Further, I think it would be a very bad move on the part of this new league to sign him. The PR would be terrible.

What disturbs me almost as much as Vick is the number of Falcons fans who still support him. A couple times this season I happened to turn on a Falcons home game and it was unbelievable how many of his jerseys people in the stands were still wearing. (and don't just say it's because of the bad economy, neither.)

Further, I think it would be a very bad move on the part of this new league to sign him. The PR would be terrible.

I hope this new league fails miserably. They have a video from their commissioner saying they've targeted non-NFL markets, and they have teams set for New York and San Francisco. A bunch of b.s. if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News