PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will New England get booed in England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the original topic, i think that if English fans were to boo New England for the connotations of the name and the area, then i think they would've booed the US national anthem the last two times. Of course that never happened so i don't envisage any problems. Frankly time heals all wounds, most people in the UK know very little about the Revolution so it wont be an issue at all.

Thankfully, this year for the UK anthem they've chosen an opera singer unlike last year when we had a pop singer who murdered the anthem, especially when we Brits like to shout the anthem in unison at sporting events and she fudged up the rhythm. It might be appropriate for the US anthem to have somebody take their own spin on it, but it doesn't work with God Save the Queen.

Last edited:
So he's like a REVERSE Dan Snyder? (team wins, but the business loses money).

and watchout, little Danny is on the hunt for his own UK football/soccer team, he had his eyes on Tottenham Hotspur

The vast majority of fans at the game will be proper, knowledgeable NFL fans. They won't be randomly picking a team to support. No doubt, as in America, fans of the other 31 teams will be rooting against the Pats.

Question for our English "football" experts: Is there a commissioner that oversees the sport? In particular, allowing new ownership to use massive debt for a purchase would never be allowed by any of the sports' governing bodies here in the US. Was the purchase price of MAN U so over the top that other owners accepted the terms and benefitted from the implied appreciation of their clubs?

Question for our English "football" experts: Is there a commissioner that oversees the sport? In particular, allowing new ownership to use massive debt for a purchase would never be allowed by any of the sports' governing bodies here in the US. Was the purchase price of MAN U so over the top that other owners accepted the terms and benefitted from the implied appreciation of their clubs?

no, just the football associations "fit and proper person" test for owners/directors. However Jack the Ripper and Harold Crippen would pass this test.There are moves afoot to implicate financial control rules but these are a long way from coming to fruition. It's the law of the jungle; whomsoever has most money/can obtain most debt has the best team and wins all the trophies.

Last edited:

No commissioner of sorts, but that's because there are a few different bodies that govern football and all of them affect the way the Premiership is run. They are the Premiership themselves (Richard Scudamore), The Football Assosciation governs all football in England but leave the day to day operation of the Premiership with the Premiership, the FA Chairman is Prince William. Then there is UEFA who are responsible for Football in Europe, the head is Michel Platini. And finally there is FIFA, the world governing body run by Sepp Blatter.

There is a "Fit and proper person" test to make sure people owning clubs will run the club properly, this has became stricter since the sale of MUFC. Remember football clubs in England are not like Franchises in America, you can buy and sell shares of most clubs on the stock market, they are vulnerable to hostile takeovers.

No. The lunatics are really running the asylum. It isn't just the commissioner that makes the NFL so profitable -- it's a cosy monopoly with anti-trust exemption. UK football teams are subject to promotion/relegation, not to mention strict EU labour laws that prohibit restrictions. That said, there are almost no restrictions on the way you can go about things. Leveraged buy-outs, speculative investments, investments (and ownership) by offshore banks with the beneficial owners unknown. It's a cesspit, in my opinion.

No commissioner of sorts, but that's because there are a few different bodies that govern football and all of them affect the way the Premiership is run. They are the Premiership themselves (Richard Scudamore), The Football Assosciation governs all football in England but leave the day to day operation of the Premiership with the Premiership, the FA Chairman is Prince William. Then there is UEFA who are responsible for Football in Europe, the head is Michel Platini. And finally there is FIFA, the world governing body run by Sepp Blatter.

There is a "Fit and proper person" test to make sure people owning clubs will run the club properly, this has became stricter since the sale of MUFC. Remember football clubs in England are not like Franchises in America, you can buy and sell shares of most clubs on the stock market, they are vulnerable to hostile takeovers.

And the fans often have no idea at all. Trying to find out who owns Leeds Utd would literally require a court order.

no, just the football associations "fit and proper person" test for owners/directors. However Jack the Ripper and Harold Crippen would pass this test.There are moves afoot to implicate financial control rules but these are a long way from coming to fruition. It's the law of the jungle; whomsoever has most money/can obtain most debt has the best team and wins all the trophies.

Pretty much spot on.

In England the rules are so vague as long as you haven't been banned from another sport for misconduct you can buy a club.

UEFA, the European governing body, so as close as we have to a Commish, are trying to bring in laws but as too scared of the big clubs to be really serious. Due to the lack of a salary cap there is an effective monopoly on the Euro competitions by the top leagues. The top leagues, especially England with the debt the clubs there have, are totally reliant on the Champions League TV money every season to stay afloat. Any threat to that and the porspect of a European Superleague would again raise it's head. Thaat's a fight UEFA will run miles from.

A salary cap would be nice, and would increase competition across the board, but it will imo never happen. Several players are now on 200k gbp per week, scary scary money

Probably. I heard BB got in a time machine, went back to 1776, and secretly put cameras in General Corwallis' quarters to steal the English's plans for the Battle of Yorktown.

I love the picture in your signature. Can I, um, borrow it.

Funny except Cornwallis was not the one making 'battle plans.' The battle of Yorktown was a seige. Washington and his French counterpart, Ronchambeau had Yorktown surrounded, with the sea blocked by the French navy fleet.

It is like in Animal House when he said the Germans boomed Pearl Harbor. He's on a roll.

As for Ferguson and Ronaldo, it was reported here on both television and print they had fallen out. If a Brit says they didn't, then I'm more inclined to believe you!

With two personalities like that you're always going to have moments of drama, but according to both parties (and other observers) there was almost like a father/son relationship between the pair.

Curry is not British.

That's like saying Pizza is American.

England ran India for a long time.

And, yes, pizza is American. Italians did it first but Americans did it right.:D

Don't get me started............the Brits stayed with us in Iraq and Afghanistan,no other country did.

They have the best battle tank in the world and their submarine fleet is without parallel.......for a country who was bankrupted during WW11,they have done pretty,damn good watching our back.

My favorite Brit post-war story was from the '60s. We found a cable going across the Mediterranean. We assumed it was the bad old Soviets tracking our subs in the Mediterranean. While we hemmed and hawed about what to do and avoiding an international incident the English held target practice.

(BTW, it was an old Nazi cable to communicate with Rommel.)

England ran India for a long time.

And, yes, pizza is American. Italians did it first but Americans did it right.:D

But it only became really popular in the US after WW2 because the GIs had gotten a taste for it while stationed in Italy although there had long been pizzerias in the US.

I hope not. We've been protecting their ass ever since.

I laughed...hard. Our sh!t bag goverment might cosy up to you but the public and Armed forces need zero. Even our women on a friday night would eat aggressors alive.

Thats before a pint and a curry....

I heard the Pats are the most televised (and popular) team over there.

I wish. I personally don't think we're on enough, we've only been on once so far with sunday becoming our second TV airing. Maybe I'm biased though...Anyone else think we're not on enough? If we had MNF we would have been on TV a total of three times so far but we haven't.

Good points, except for the tank. The German Leopard II is the world's best battle tank, with the M1 Abrams a close second.

Challengers are being re-armed to smooth bore guns and being given added firepower. Some crews call it an upgrade, some were perfectly happy the way it was as she was still very effective. She's a beast of a workhorse, doesn't need to be refulled every 5 minutes and her armour is stand out. Add the new gun onto the existing Challenger 2 and you do have one of the best MBT to enter service.

The other Brits here have dissapointed me, you need to start standing up for yourselves.

Ausbacker, stop being so bitter about England beating Australia man. It happened, we beat you, it's ok. End of the day we'll both have a beer (warm or cold), shake hands and have a laugh about it. I may or may not point and laugh at you but thats what comes with bragging rights. I'll lose them next year anyway when we get blown out in the Ashes again...

lol nah it will be fine! Us britis dont get taught about ther American Rev in school so most people are fairley clueless. When I told my mate that The Patriot ( mel gibson film) was based on a true story he thought i was kidding lol!
The game has got bigger here over the last 8 years and the team to watch has been the pats so natrually most kids like them!

Ausbacker, stop being so bitter about England beating Australia man. It happened, we beat you, it's ok. End of the day we'll both have a beer (warm or cold), shake hands and have a laugh about it. I may or may not point and laugh at you but thats what comes with bragging rights. I'll lose them next year anyway when we get blown out in the Ashes again...
We covered this in the international thread already.. I'm not bitter.. 6-1 one day series saw to that ;)

We covered this in the international thread already.. I'm not bitter.. 6-1 one day series saw to that ;)

aussies are born bitter...

never mind 2003 world cup when we became champs, how abut 2007? was the score then skippy? lol

aussies are born bitter...

never mind 2003 world cup when we became champs, how abut 2007? was the score then skippy? lol
Australia beat England by 7 wickets in the ICC one day Championship....... yes I'm ignoring the obvious 10-12 loss ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST