PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will New England get booed in England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, no sporting person should be making 300,000 pounds per week, but you're now opening this up to the EU restraint of trade and a whole another topical discussion that we could probably have elsewhere..

True, but I was merely addressing the point that Man U had to sell C Ronaldo,
they didn't have to but they couldn't afford not to, plus he wanted to leave and play in Spain,for more money no doubt, plus he got a cut of the transfer so why would he not want to leave.

True, but I was merely addressing the point that Man U had to sell C Ronaldo,
they didn't have to but they couldn't afford not to, plus he wanted to leave and play in Spain,for more money no doubt, plus he got a cut of the transfer so why would he not want to leave.
They didn't have to sell Ronaldo. He wanted out and had agreed contractually with Real Madrid. It was then up to Real and United to agree upon the terms.

Ronaldo received 10% or 8 million pounds as part of the transfer fee and receives around 180,000 pounds per week (before incentives) playing for Real. What's scary is the fact the he isn't Real Madrid's highest earner. Kaka is.

Manchester United would have been stupid not to sell him at that price, given it had been well documented he and Ferguson didn't see eye to eye. A world record transfer fee of 80 million pounds can buy off whatever debt you may have, as everyone knows Manchester United isn't exactly a poor sister.

Now regarding salary caps or ceilings, I like them. They allow teams the ability to compete, rather than a landscape dominated by a consistent few. That doesn't necessarily mean it will eventuate that way, as you see in the NBA, NHL, NFL and other domestic competitions around the world.

Last edited:
Curry is not British.

That's like saying Pizza is American.

I know that, you know that, everyone knows that, but ask an english man who makes the best curry, and its England, as well as that is why the are the number one exporter of curry sauces...

When I went over there for business, the firs night I wanted some real english food, they all said, "We'll let's get a good curry", I said, "Isn't that Indian food?"... Later that week I asked "Where can I get some really good english food, and they said "When you find some, let us know"... :)

They didn't have to sell Ronaldo. He wanted out and had agreed contractually with Real Madrid. It was then up to Real and United to agree upon the terms.

Ronaldo received 10% or 8 million pounds as part of the transfer fee and receives around 180,000 pounds per week (before incentives) playing for Real. What's scary is the fact the he isn't Real Madrid's highest earner. Kaka is.

Manchester United would have been stupid not to sell him at that price, given it had been well documented he and Ferguson didn't see eye to eye. A world record transfer fee of 80 million pounds can buy off whatever debt you may have, as everyone knows Manchester United isn't exactly a poor sister.

Now regarding salary caps or ceilings, I like them. They allow teams the ability to compete, rather than a landscape dominated by a consistent few. That doesn't necessarily mean it will eventuate that way, as you see in the NBA, NHL, NFL and other domestic competitions around the world.

If they got 80 million in one go then yes, but they don't. They will get the 80 millions split, over 5 years I believe. So whilst they can bank on the revenue coming in with their background financial position they struggle to get the
banks to allow players to be bought based on that future income.

Fact is, he wanted to go, and they needed the money but the money didn't go to Ferguson to spend on players. It went to service the debt used to buy the club and that is what angers the fans so much, as that has never happened in the past.

Last season they won the league, and posted a strong profits because of it but once they then paid the loans and more importantly the interest on the loans their actual profits were minimal. Therefore there was no money in the bank to compete in the transfer market. Anybody who thinks an unknown and untested winger for Wigan, and Mr Sicknote himself were Ferguson's real transfer targets is kidding themselves.

The interest on these loans has now gone up, and their probability of winning the league now Ronaldo is away has possibly, if not actually, been reduced. The only reason I would say not definitely is the fact that the other big four clubs have failed to strengthen in any way. The less said completely about Liverpool's situation the better but after last nights result should they not get out of their CL group which is a real possibility I believe Torres will be sold in Jan.

The collective debt of EPL clubs now runs into the billions of pounds. Man Utd may not appear on the surface to be a poor sister but when you dig, the cupboard is pretty much bare.

The sooner the UEFA / FIFA/ EU force a salary cap on football the better imo

I would expect the Bucs to be booed. Didn't there owner, Glazer, buy a team over there (Man U???) and they didn't like a yankee owning there team?

Absolutely nothing to do with Glazer being American, as others have said. He's hated by us United fans for taking us from being in terrific financial health to being £600m+ in debt. Our annual profits now barely cover the interest payments on the loans he took out, leaving us unable to truly compete financially as we had done before. More importantly, in order to extract maximum profits he has ramped up ticket prices disgracefully in the past four years, as well as introducing numerous other measures that seen numerous long-term fans forced out.

I heard on the radio they broadcast one game a week and its always the Pats, one of our British friends can verify whether this was true or not.

Unfortunately not. Think only the Ravens game has been on live so far this season - we don't get MNF over here this year for some ridiculous reasons so we didn't get the Bills game.

If they got 80 million in one go then yes, but they don't. They will get the 80 millions split, over 5 years I believe. So whilst they can bank on the revenue coming in with their background financial position they struggle to get the banks to allow players to be bought based on that future income.

While I don't disagree too much with your general point (that the Glazers have left us hamstrung financially), we did get the £80m in one lump sum - Real Madrid HAD to get Ronaldo this summer and we had an incredible bargaining position.

We weren't forced to sell Ronaldo, nor did he and Ferguson fall out as someone else stated - they actually get on really well, Ronaldo flew back to England after the deal with Madrid had been concluded specifically to have dinner with Ferguson, who he recognises as absolutely crucial in his development into the world's best player. It was just a case of him having a long-term dream of going to Madrid, Madrid having a long-standing interest, Ferguson having a belief that Ronaldo's desire to leave was starting to affect his performances and Madrid making a financial offer we'd have been insane to refuse even pre-Glazer.

The interest on these loans has now gone up, and their probability of winning the league now Ronaldo is away has possibly, if not actually, been reduced. The only reason I would say not definitely is the fact that the other big four clubs have failed to strengthen in any way. The less said completely about Liverpool's situation the better but after last nights result should they not get out of their CL group which is a real possibility I believe Torres will be sold in Jan.

Forgot to comment on this bit - much as I'd love to see it happen, there isn't a chance in hell Torres will be sold in January. Not getting out of their CL group would be very bad for them financially, but the real killer would be not qualifying for it again next season, and selling Torres mid-season would be practically guaranteeing that happening.

I wasn't going to say anything, but, yeah. :agree:

Guys, I think everyone missed the point of my post... I KNOW curry isn't English... I know this... But they act like it is, becuase they took it over and is so popular there...

That was the whole point of my post... I KNOW it's not from England, but they had a hand in it, so they of course say it's the best curry, even better than Indian curry... Like New England, it was them that originally came here, so it's no wonder the patriots are the best football team... In that same sarcastic vein...

Last edited:
Forgot to comment on this bit - much as I'd love to see it happen, there isn't a chance in hell Torres will be sold in January. Not getting out of their CL group would be very bad for them financially, but the real killer would be not qualifying for it again next season, and selling Torres mid-season would be practically guaranteeing that happening.

If the stories are to be believed the only reason Torres wasn't sold in the summer was because the bank feared the backlash from the public.

If Man City come back with another 70million offer in Jan, which I would if I was them, then they will be testing the banks to the limit as the Liverpool position is getting worse by the day.

I know what you're saying but I would not be shocked if they said no more chances. Gillette and Hicks need to get this sorted asap

As for the 80 million up front, as a Utd man I will defer that one to you but I am pretty confident they didn't. Either way, the point remains that SAF saw none of it

Guys, I think everyone missed the point of my post... I KNOW curry isn't English... I know this... But they act like it is, becuase they took it over and is so popular there...

That was the whole point of my post... I KNOW it's not from England, but they had a hand in it, so they of course say it's the best curry, even better than Indian curry... Like New England, it was them that originally came here, so it's no wonder the patriots are the best football team... In that same sarcastic vein...

Good point, and some curry dishes were invented in the UK such as Chicken Tikka Massala which is now the most eaten meal in the UK.

Don't get me started............the Brits stayed with us in Iraq and Afghanistan,no other country did.

They have the best battle tank in the world and their submarine fleet is without parallel.......for a country who was bankrupted during WW11,they have done pretty,damn good watching our back.

Afghanistan is where the real war is, and we all know what countries are over there...I doubt you would see any superficial ignorant sense-of-entitlement clowns from Fox laughing and frolicking about in those parts.

no, the Patriots will not get booed in England.

If the stories are to be believed the only reason Torres wasn't sold in the summer was because the bank feared the backlash from the public.

If Man City come back with another 70million offer in Jan, which I would if I was them, then they will be testing the banks to the limit as the Liverpool position is getting worse by the day.

I know what you're saying but I would not be shocked if they said no more chances. Gillette and Hicks need to get this sorted asap

As for the 80 million up front, as a Utd man I will defer that one to you but I am pretty confident they didn't. Either way, the point remains that SAF saw none of it

Gillett and Hicks paid off a chunk of their debts (£60m or so if I rememebr rightly) not long ago so I don't think the situation is quite as precarious as you're making out, not at this point anyway. I could maybe see a sale next summer if they miss out on the top four, but a January sale would be suicide.

Our chief executive David Gill confirmed the Ronaldo was paid upfront on a couple of occasions and stated that was a big part of the decision to accept the offer. I'm as down on the Glazers as anyone, believe me, but all that's known is that SAF used none of it. We were in for Karim Benzema before he made it clear he only wanted to join Madrid, who would have set us back £30m+. I personally think that while some of the Ronaldo money will go to the banks, Ferguson also had a decent-sized chunk of it to spend if he wanted to (say half of it) and decided against it largely because the only players that could really have improved us were hugely overvalued by their clubs (Bayern Munich asking for £60-80m for Ribery for example). Also needs bearing in mind that the current crop of young players coming through the ranks at the club is regarded as the best since the famous group in the early/mid-90s, and ultimately, we are top of the table after nearly the first quarter of the season - going on about that being fortunate is somewhat misleading, we're not the only team to save points with late goals or win games we've not played well in. We've actually played better football on the whole this season than we did last (with Ronaldo) and are better off points and goals-wise at this point than we were at the same stage last season.

This is veering dangerously close to United message-board fodder anyway... to get back to the original thread question, the Patriots will get some boos from fans of the Bucs/other teams, as would be the case anywhere (there's just as high a proportion of ill-informed biased clowns among British NFL fans who buy into all the media nonsense regarding the Pats), but there'll certainly be no booing due to historical matters or anything like that. Doubt a single person in the stadium will care less, and probably less than 5% would even understand why the question is being asked.

Last edited:
...... They jagged a rugby union world cup here earlier this decade on our stupidity, knighted half the side, recently won the Ashes after a monumental f.up by the Aussies and celebrated like no tomorrow.

Patriots.. well.. they go alright.

I have no clue what you just said, but I'll drink to it!!!!!!

Where they are in the league has nothing to do with it. They borrowed £600m in order to buy a club that was debt free and then saddled the whole debt on to the club. All the profits United now make go to pay off loans rather than improve the club. Short term things such as league position and trophies are trivial in comparison to the situation United as a club and as a business find itself in as a result of the Glazers.

So he's like a REVERSE Dan Snyder? (team wins, but the business loses money).

Last edited:
The 'pool guys renegotiated the debt payments recently, I don't believe they paid any of it off. Whether the fire sale happens in Jan or July, it's going to happen unless a major change is made.

As for Utd debt, which is currently approx 700million. Last seasons loan interest was approx 68 million. That takes a tasty fat chunk out of any 80 million you get in for the golden boy sale.

Anyway, you're quite right. Back to the pats.

Sky sports have started their players to watch feature before the game, highlighted Brady Moss and Welker for us, and Josh Johnson, Cadillac Williams and Antonio Bryant for them. Johnson threw a very nice pick in the clip they showed, here's to more of that on Sunday

I have no clue what you just said, but I'll drink to it!!!!!!
:eat3:

The Poms won the Rugby Union World Cup in 2003 here and the Queen knighted the coach.

As for Ferguson and Ronaldo, it was reported here on both television and print they had fallen out. If a Brit says they didn't, then I'm more inclined to believe you!

^Is poms just for the english? Or does it include us Welsh, or the scots aswell?

^Is poms just for the english? Or does it include us Welsh, or the scots aswell?
English.. I wouldn't think the Irish or Scottish would take to well being grouped with the English for anything.

As for the Welsh.. well you're just the plan old Welsh ;)

They didn't get booed when they played the 'SILLYNINNYS'

Is Peter Griffen gonna do 'Shaboopee" at 1/2 time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back