PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will New England get booed in England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect the Bucs to be booed. Didn't there owner, Glazer, buy a team over there (Man U???) and they didn't like a yankee owning there team?

It's not the fact he's a yank, that has nothing to do with it.

The fact he mortgaged them to the max to actually buy them is their issue, he took one of the most successful sports brands in the world and to all extents and purposes bankrupted them. And this season they are suffering on the park because of it

And as for 1776, you ask 100 folk in the UK what happened in 1776 and 100 of them wouldn't know.

As I said the other day, the history of 2006 would be news to most of us

It's not the fact he's a yank, that has nothing to do with it.

The fact he mortgaged them to the max to actually buy them is their issue, he took one of the most successful sports brands in the world and to all extents and purposes bankrupted them. And this season they are suffering on the park because of it

And as for 1776, you ask 100 folk in the UK what happened in 1776 and 100 of them wouldn't know.

As I said the other day, the history of 2006 would be news to most of us
I don't quite understand this comment, especially given that Manchester United is currently sitting on top of the Premier League?

I don't quite understand this comment, especially given that Manchester United is currently sitting on top of the Premier League?
Where they are in the league has nothing to do with it. They borrowed £600m in order to buy a club that was debt free and then saddled the whole debt on to the club. All the profits United now make go to pay off loans rather than improve the club. Short term things such as league position and trophies are trivial in comparison to the situation United as a club and as a business find itself in as a result of the Glazers.

The Bucs might get boo'd because if you're not a fan of Man U, you tend to hate them, and Man U fans seem to hate the Glazer's so there could be common ground there for everyone to hate on the Bucs :D

The Patriots aren't the closest team either, having checked before I seem to recall the Bills were the closest team to England in terms of distance! :eek:

I heard on the radio they broadcast one game a week and its always the Pats, one of our British friends can verify whether this was true or not.

They broadcast one of the late Sunday games every week, but it's certainly not always the Pats

Why do the Brits love the Patriots so much?

Two words: John Smith.

The reason they're very popular in the UK is much more straightforward I think

The NFL has grown exponentially in the UK over the last 10 years due to the increased TV coverage. You can now see multiple games over a weekend across Sky Sports (satellite & cable TV) and on Five (publically available TV station)

The most successful team in that time span?

The Pats

It's easiest if you are getting in to a sport to support the best team!

I doubt that they will boo. The revolution is not emphasized to youngsters in school like it is here.

If you asked 100 kids in schools in the UK why New England was called New England, not one would have the first clue

The Pats logo could be a burning Union Jack and it wouldn't ring any bells

The fact that many fans on Man United stopped buying season tickets and formed their own football team says a lot about how they feel about the Glazer family.

F.C. United of Manchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also:

See these stickers at alot of football grounds up and down the country put there by travelling United fans.

1024x768redarmyfc_com_Tue83952luhg.jpg

The fact is, owning a football club in the UK was never about turning a profit, it was about having the clubs interests at heart and many United fans feel that the Glazers only care about making money, hence:

1305081.jpg

article-0-01B3A76E0000044D-84_468x286.jpg

lpe80205151425.widec.jpg

manu_wideweb__430x272.jpg

There is absolutely no way that United fans will ever warm to the Glazers.

I heard on the radio they broadcast one game a week and its always the Pats, one of our British friends can verify whether this was true or not.

There is one game a week on the radio, but it is not always the Pats.

Where they are in the league has nothing to do with it. They borrowed £600m in order to buy a club that was debt free and then saddled the whole debt on to the club. All the profits United now make go to pay off loans rather than improve the club. Short term things such as league position and trophies are trivial in comparison to the situation United as a club and as a business find itself in as a result of the Glazers.

The financial situation at Man U (& Liverpool for that matter) is absolutely precarious because the continued financial stability of the clubs is entirely conditional on the continued sporting success of the club which enables them to access revenues from competing in the elite level European competitions. They require this income to pay off the vast loans used to buy the clubs in the first place

Comapre this with the Pats last year. Brady goes down week 1 and they miss the playoffs. Sporting wise, it sucks, but commercially and financially, it doesn't affect the business.

If an important Man U player (or potentially their coach) goes down week 1 and they miss the Champions League that year, that's pretty much the ball game. They would need to find the revenues from elsewhere, most likely selling players, to simply keep up the loan repayments, hence the initial shock descends into a downward sporting spiral, which has no lower bound as it does in the NFL (you can finish 32nd overall, but that's as bad as it gets) There are plenty of other teams willing to take their place amongst the European elite.

This is the biggest criticism most fans have with these massively leveraged take overs of premier league clubs

That's fair enough if it's a comment about the long term viability and performance of Man U (who I dislike anyway :D), but you did make the comment that they were suffering on the park, which is incorrect.

After sitting through the Leeds debacle then switching to Chelsea (because I'm a Lampard fan, although my interest in the PL is simply to watch great football), I'm all too aware of what mortgaging a clubs future represents.

That's fair enough if it's a comment about the long term viability and performance of Man U (who I dislike anyway :D), but you did make the comment that they were suffering on the park, which is incorrect.

After sitting through the Leeds debacle then switching to Chelsea (because I'm a Lampard fan, although my interest in the PL is simply to watch great football), I'm all too aware of what mortgaging a clubs future represents.
Thankfully that wasn't me who said it as you say its factually incorrect.

Thankfully that wasn't me who said it as you say its factually incorrect.
Ah my mistake, that was directed at furry. Apologies jan08.

I was just over in England, and the Patriots are probably their most popular team over their.

Like most things, English people just assume they had the most impact on something for why something is so good, like Tea, Curry, and just about anything else you talk to an english man about. No doubt they love the Pats becuase they are England's gift to American football... ;)

The English love winners and are always prepared to follow a successful team,whether or not they have any sort of attachment to said team. That's why their soccer "gods" Manchester United,Chelsea,Liverpool and Arsenal have fans everywhere,kids wear the shirt to school 5 days a week and guys turn up in the pub wearing a team shirt of a place they've never been,never seen live and probably never will. They watch golf on TV even though they know nothing about the game. They are attracted to all the razzamatazz and
accept projected glory avidly.A Man U "fan" wearing his colours in a Cornwall pub thinks an awful lot of himself, they even wear national team colours to the office during the olympics and World Cup.

Last edited:

They are top of the league for now yes, so if you simply wish to look at it that way then you can.

An easy comparrision simple stat wise would be to say last season we weren't a worse team with Matt at QB as we finished 11-5.

Fact is, we were nowhere near as good without no 12.

Man utd this summer had to sell their best player and have been unable to invest in the squad in any way due to the financial restrictions in place. What you now have is a team with a squad that lacks depth in key areas- goal scoring and at the back, who have looked poor on several occasions, Sunderland and Burnley being real examples. They have been lucky in several other games, Arsenal, own goals in that game and against Sunderland to save them a point in a game at home that they should win comfortably. They got 3 points in the derby 6 minutes into added time, when added time was meant to be 4 minutes. All of this isn't clear from a league table

Over the piece they may well still win the league, any injury to Rooney and there is no way it happens, but the bottom line is their team is not now as good as it was, or as good as they would expect it to be as they do not have the funds to buy the quality of player they are accustomed to.

Simply saying they are still winning so the Glazer impact isn't real is imo factually wrong

The English love winners and are always prepared to follow a successful team,whether or not they have any sort of attachment to said team. That's why their soccer "gods" Manchester United,Chelsea,Liverpool and Arsenal have fans everywhere,kids wear the shirt to school 5 days a week and guys turn up in the pub wearing a team shirt of a place they've never been,never seen live and probably never will. They watch golf on TV even though they know nothing about the game. They are attracted to all the razzamatazz and
accept projected glory avidly.A Man U "fan" wearing his colours in a Cornwall pub thinks an awful lot of himself, they even wear national team colours to the office during the olympics and World Cup.

Random shot at golf in the middle of all that :confused:

Given it was founded in about the 12th century in Scotland and all....

Nothing like a sweeping generalization to clarify a matter is there

And this season they are suffering on the park because of it

They are top of the league for now yes, so if you simply wish to look at it that way then you can.

An easy comparrision simple stat wise would be to say last season we weren't a worse team with Matt at QB as we finished 11-5.

Man utd this summer had to sell their best player and have been unable to invest in the squad in any way due to the financial restrictions in place. What you now have is a team with a squad that lacks depth in key areas- goal scoring and at the back, who have looked poor on several occasions, Sunderland and Burnley being real examples. They have been lucky in several other games, Arsenal, own goals in that game and against Sunderland to save them a point in a game at home that they should win comfortably. They got 3 points in the derby 6 minutes into added time, when added time was meant to be 4 minutes. All of this isn't clear from a league table

Over the piece they may well still win the league, any injury to Rooney and there is no way it happens, but the bottom line is their team is not now as good as it was, or as good as they would expect it to be as they do not have the funds to buy the quality of player they are accustomed to.

Simply saying they are still winning so the Glazer impact isn't real is imo factually wrong
I know exactly what you are saying a United and the Premier League's exposure in Australia is high owing to the large ex-Pat population of Brits here. However, that still makes your comment incorrect to this point in time. I'd think Arsenal is playing the best football at this point in time however, as you would know, tables and competitions such as the PL reward form over the 38 rounds with the Championship.

By the way, the City win was diabolical. Right up there with the Liverpool beach ball for mine.

Last edited:

Man U sold their best player because another bunch of idiots offered them the sort of money no-one is worth for him.No man is worth 150 million dollars,
NFL is protected from that sort of idiocy because of the draft and trade system. Imagine if you had to pay 200 million dollars for a top quarterback or running back and 50 million for a mediocre wide receiver. Plus you have to pay them 20 million $ a year,whether they play or not for 4 or 5 years.
European soccer is a crazy money trip,fuelled by rich idiots who buy teams
as playthings.

Man U sold their best player because another bunch of idiots offered them the sort of money no-one is worth for him.No man is worth 150 million dollars,
NFL is protected from that sort of idiocy because of the draft and trade system. Imagine if you had to pay 200 million dollars for a top quarterback or running back and 50 million for a mediocre wide receiver. Plus you have to pay them 20 million $ a year,whether they play or not for 4 or 5 years.
European soccer is a crazy money trip,fuelled by rich idiots who buy teams
as playthings.
I agree, no sporting person should be making 300,000 pounds per week, but you're now opening this up to the EU restraint of trade and a whole another topical discussion that we could probably have elsewhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News