PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline? - Does he deserve to play this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline? - Does he deserve to play this

No transaction HAS to be made. We are at 53 with Asante, at 52 without him. We didn't use the exemption to go over the 53 man limit. If they still have to officially activate him under that scenario, and Bill seemed to dance around the question in his PC this week stating "he has an exemption", we could again be on Mountain time. Remember, cut deadlines last week were actually 6PM eastern. But Asante indicated it would be a game day decision by the coaching staff. So he was either hedging for the company line or he thinks that's what it is. If they don't think he's ready for contact and game situations period, he likely didn't travel with the team, and I'd assume they left a while ago.

I thought that with the signings of Rivers and Herron, the Pats were at 53 without Asante...

Re: Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline? - Does he deserve to play this

So did the Pats activate Asante or not? And did they need too? IE was he on pup or something?
No...he isn't up to par with the rest of the team as to game readiness....everyone else has done six weeks of camp and four pre-season games. He has been around now for a couple weeks and no games.

Last edited:

I thought that with the signings of Rivers and Herron, the Pats were at 53 without Asante...
The league gave them an exception for Samuel.

The league gave them an exception for Samuel.

Tell me something I don't already know. And please re-read what I said. I said that I thought the team was at 53 WITHOUT SAMUEL. Which would acknowledge the exemption. And would acknowledge that the Pats would have to cut someone to ADD Samuel to the game roster. And I would be correct if it wasn't for Harrison's suspension. Because he's suspended, the Pats are at 52. So, they could add Samuel without issue and not have to cut someone until Harrison is ready to come back in week 5.

Last edited:

Tell me something I don't already know. And please re-read what I said. I said that I thought the team was at 53 WITHOUT SAMUEL. Which would acknowledge the exemption. And would acknowledge that the Pats would have to cut someone to ADD Samuel to the game roster.
Thanks for the clarification.

This is what I have.

QB - 3 Tom Brady, Cassel, Gutierrez
RB - 3 Faulk, Maroney, Morris
FB - 1 Evans
C - 1 Koppen
G - 4 Neal, Hochstein, Mankins, Yates
OT - 4 Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt
WR - 5 Moss, Washington, Gaffney, Welker, Stallworth
TE - 3 Watson, Dave Thomas, Kyle Brady, Rivers
DE - 2 Warren, Green
DT - 4 Wilfork, Wright, Le Kevin Smith, Kareem Brown
LB - 9 Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Adalius Thomas, Seau, Woods, Alexander, Izzo, Herron
CB - 4 Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, James,
S - 6 Sanders, Wilson, Meriweather, Andrews, Mitchell, Baker
P - 1 Hanson
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Paxton

53 with Samuel

Don't forget this guy!
No one forgets that guy. He's even on your mind.

Although Ashley Force kicked his butt in the sexiest athlete contest AOL sponsored.

Brady will set records this season.

This is what I have.

QB - 3 Tom Brady, Cassel, Gutierrez
RB - 3 Faulk, Maroney, Morris
FB - 1 Evans
C - 1 Koppen
G - 4 Neal, Hochstein, Mankins, Yates
OT - 4 Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, Britt
WR - 5 Moss, Washington, Gaffney, Welker, Stallworth
TE - 3 Watson, Dave Thomas, Kyle Brady, Rivers
DE - 2 Warren, Green
DT - 4 Wilfork, Wright, Le Kevin Smith, Kareem Brown
LB - 9 Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Adalius Thomas, Seau, Woods, Alexander, Izzo, Herron
CB - 4 Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, James,
S - 6 Sanders, Wilson, Meriweather, Andrews, Mitchell, Baker
P - 1 Hanson
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Paxton

53 with Samuel

Your body count is correct; 53.
But check the TE subtotal.

Sorry to pick nit.
But you are Mr. Numbers.

Samuel in, James out, according to Reiss. Great! :)

If James is out..it's 52 and it can NOT stay that way...unless another player like Hamilton is brought in..Thomas or Childress will be moved up from teh Practice Squad...

It seems odd to carry only 3 CBs with space for more. If one goes down then Meriweather or Andrews is pressed into service. I guess they feel that these guys are not needed at safety, which means that Wilson is certainly starting and they have other capable backups there (Baker?). Still puzzled that we would be one under though, and I expect we find out tomorrow that somehow we are at 53.

Last edited:

Remember, the magic # of 53 is not THAT important tomorrow given that you cannot PLAY 53

The difference is that a guy who is not on the 53 can sign with anybody whereas the 53 are your property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back