PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline? - Does he deserve to play this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline? - Does he deserve to play this

Forget deserve to play!! BB will (and should) play the guys who have the best chance to give us a win - and I am sure Asante is one of those guys. Suppose (God forbid) Hobbs or Gay gets hurt during the game? Wouldn't you want Asante active (even if he isn't 100% ready to go all out) just in case?
If he's not ready to play..no.

Re: Will Asante be activated before the 4PM deadline? - Does he deserve to play this

You serious? Coles and Cotch TORCHED that secondary last year with Samuel and Seymour in, I dont think you want to see what happens in a game without Samuel, Harrison, and Seymour(you're best DL pass rusher).

First and foremost, the only reason they "torched" the Pats secondary was because of one hard hit that didn't bring Cotchery down. Do you know who laid that hit? Chad Scott. A guy on the IR this year.

So, please, don't make it out to be more than it is.

OH, Seymour isn't the Pats best Pass Rusher. On the D-line, that title goes to Jarvis Green. Seymour is the Pats best all-around D-lineman. But that is debateable with the break out year that Warren had. See, Warren had 117 tackles and 7.5 sacks last year. That's amazing for a 3-4 D-lineman if you know anything about the 3-4 Defense. Personally, I feel that Warren has surpassed Seymour.

And this isn't the same secondary as last year. Hobbs and Sanders BOTH have gained a tremendous amount of experience. Your a fool if you think otherwise.

Last edited:

If ***ante doesn't travel to the NYJ, then he should give his $500K game check back to the NEP.

That his availability is even in doubt is exactly the reason why he should have reported to camp a fortnight sooner than he did.

Asante would probably have shown up the first day of training camp had

the Pats agreed not to franchise him in 2008. One month later, they

agreed to accommodate him. It's the Pats fault as well as Asante's

that he may miss the first game.

First and foremost, the only reason they "torched" the Pats secondary was because of one hard hit that didn't bring Cotchery down. Do you know who laid that hit? Chad Scott. A guy on the IR this year.

OH, Seymour isn't the Pats best Pass Rusher. On the D-line, that title goes to Jarvis Green. Seymour is the Pats best all-around D-lineman. But that is debateable with the break out year that Warren had. See, Warren had 117 tackles and 7.5 sacks last year. That's amazing for a 3-4 D-lineman if you know anything about the 3-4 Defense. Personally, I feel that Warren has surpassed Seymour.

And this isn't the same secondary as last year. Hobbs and Sanders BOTH have gained a tremendous amount of experience. Your a fool if you think otherwise.
I don't think torched was the right word...but you are so correct on what you are saying...let them delude themselves into believing that.

Have you not forgotten that you have an extremely big hole on the line with Kendall being gone ?- Chad will be running for his life with that horrid line that makes Miami's O-Line look good now

Chad can't throw the ball to the 'c brothers' if Wilfork,Warren and Green are in his face all day and knocking down a few throws in the making

Well Bender/Clark can't be any worse then Norm Katnick, who was the starting LG for the first 3 games last season when Chad threw for 300+ two consecutive weeks Vs. the Titans and Pats.

That, then add the fact that NE actually has to respect the run this year with Leon and TJ...Ya, I think that the Jets will have a field day without Seymour, Harrison, and Samuel.

So have Coles, Cotchery, Washington, and Mccareins, so what's your point?

Also, the Jets had 300 yards passing twice against the patriots...And most of that is credited to the WR's. Yes, the Cotchery play was a big play last year, but I also remember Coles catching a ball across the middle wide open about 5 yards down field and dancing his way around Patsie defenders and into the endzone...

And that was WITH Seymour, Samuel and Harrison IN and Norm Katnick at LG for the Jets!!!

I don't think torched was the right word...but you are so correct on what you are saying...let them delude themselves into believing that.

I'll let the stats speak for themselves, you're the one deluding yourself if you honestly beleive Hobbs, Gay, and Sanders can shut down the Jets passing attack when Harrison and Samuel couldn't.

Asante would probably have shown up the first day of training camp had

the Pats agreed not to franchise him in 2008. One month later, they

agreed to accommodate him. It's the Pats fault as well as Asante's

that he may miss the first game.
Patriot's fault??? You mean paying Samuel as much money as they are shouldn't warrant a player to be in camp??
Firstly, no one knows when the Patriot's said they would not tag him next year. Laughable...

Last edited:

what he said.

I suppose bb might spitefully not start Samuel for the first series (or the first play).

I don't think "deserve" is the right word. This isn't little league. If he's ready to help the team win, he'll be there. Otherwise he won't.

Last edited:

I don't think "deserve" is the right word. This isn't little league. If he's ready to help the team win, he'll be there. Otherwise he won't.

Exactly, if the message board could automatically remove the word 'deserve' from all posts we would have more realistic commentary. Other auto deletes would include:
'fair contract offer'
'home town discount'
'patriots type player'
'they don't ever draft a ------ in the first round'

Samuel doesn't start but he plays quite a bit, besides it has to be at least a 70% probability that Gay goes onto the IR by half-time.

As a side note how un-pc would it be if the Patriots drafted ***g and he practiced against Gay? Ok, I will grow up now, sorry.

Does he deserve to play in the first game or do we go with Hobbs and maybe Merriweather or Gay at the other corner spot and let the overpaid whiner sit till SD next week?
What we should do is what is in the best interests of the team, balancing long term goals with short term needs, and make a decision without acrimony or vindictiveness. Fortunately, that is what BB and company do every single week.

In this instance, IMHO, he will play.

Patriot's fault??? You mean paying Samuel as much money as they are shouldn't warrant a player to be in camp??
Firstly, no one knows when the Patriot's said they would not tag him next year. Laughable...

What is laughable is that the Pats capitulated to Asante. This is an

organization that has operated in almost infallible fashion the past eight

years. I'm disappointed with the Deion Branch fiasco, the blown contract

with Tod Sauerbrun, and the Asante affair the past couple of years.

Not only to play in 1 game but not even for a full 60 minutes on the field- Especially if the offense dominates and controls the time of possession!
I remember reading a tabloid report, many many moons ago, about the highest paid athlete in sports per hour. They gave that title to Joe Montana... but here's the problem with their logic: The way they calculated, Montana only started to "work" at the snap of every play and he stopped when he got rid of the ball. Needless to say, this ridiculous calcluation didn't include the hours of preparation that goes into each and every game - not to mention the lifetime of skill and experience that led to a man posessions such rare and unique abilities. Countless hours of studying film, working out, working with teammates, practicing, preparing and readying himself.

You're kinda doing the same thing here when you boil his gamecheck down to "not even a full 60 minutes on the field."

Last edited:

Activated by 4 pm? Yes.
That's why Caldwell was released.

Playing ... or playing a lot? I dunno.
The game bag gambit was cute ... and inconclusive.
Sante's appearance when interviewed, however, was downbeat ... a bit (no pun) defensive.
Probably, he himself doesn't know yet.
But he played to perfection the part of an anxious guy uncertain about his future.

Activated by 4 pm? Yes.
That's why Caldwell was released.

Playing ... or playing a lot? I dunno.
The game bag gambit was cute ... and inconclusive.
Sante's appearance when interviewed, however, was downbeat ... a bit (no pun) defensive.
Probably, he himself doesn't know yet.
But he played to perfection the part of an anxious guy uncertain about his future.

Is 4PM the deadline for releasing the 45 man active roster?

I trust Asante to be in excellent shape. Still, I don't want him playing a lot, let's avoid those "not in football shape" injuries.

Is 4PM the deadline for releasing the 45 man active roster?

No.
That's after warmups on the field tomorrow.
I find it helpful to term this, "gameday actives".

4 pm today
is the deadline to have him on the roster at all ... as distinct from a reserve list.

This dual usage the league employs for "active" does get confusing.
Too bad one adjective refers to two important, but distinct, roster phenomena.

What would be the point of beating SD if we were to lose divisional games and not make the playoffs? Ideally, the Pats will beat both teams, but first and foremost, you have to win your division before worrying about how overall and head to head records will determine your playoff seating.
The San Diego and Indy games are more inportant to win, in my mind.

We can lose this game to the Jets and still win the division easily. We can beat the Jets in Foxboro, negating this SUnday's Jets win.

But if we lose to the Chargers or Colts, we lose the home field advantage tie breaker.

Yeah, I want to win both of the next two games. But if we are to be 1-1, let it be the Chargers we beat.

Right now, though, I have my sights squarely on the Jets game. Since it is the only game we are playing tomorrow, that is the won I want us to win :D

Last edited:

Generally I'd agree - but if BB feels that #1 - the Pats can win without him and #2 - he wants to send a message to future holdouts by holding out Samuel and making it that much more difficult for him to hit the 75% of defensive plays mark - he might hold him out for the long term "benefit", even if he is ready tomorrow.

Generally I'd agree - but if BB feels that #1 - the Pats can win without him and #2 - he wants to send a message to future holdouts by holding out Samuel and making it that much more difficult for him to hit the 75% of defensive plays mark - he might hold him out for the long term "benefit", even if he is ready tomorrow.
I think right now winning the next game is more important than sending a message for next year. Even a message as significant as, "No one else better make a deal that involves # of snaps played, because we are willing to risk losing a game in order to underhandedly prevent you from achieving the # of snaps you thought you had negotiated in good faith."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes