PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tomlinson will not play a down in the preseason - smart strategy or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't suprise me one bit if the Patriots did the same thing with Maroney.

I like preseason reps and want most players (like Maroney) to at least get some. LDT is wholy different from other players and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't need the fine-tuning.

Who does SD play in week 1? If they have a weak opponent it makes even more sense.

Re: OT: Tomlinson will not play a down in the preseason -smart strategy or not?

Not sure, but is there a time recently when Turner had to step in and carry the load for the Sparklers for more than a few games? If so, what were his #'s, cause Rivers hasn't proven shat to me 'cept that he is a crybaby and thinks "Hobbs is the worst CB in the league"! The Sparklers would have all they can handle in the West w/o Tomlinson.
No. Not exactly. LT's only missed one game in his career and that's cos Schotty sat him intentionally. But there have been games where Turner has lit it up to the point that LT ended up sitting out far more plays than normal. Look at SD's game against the Titans last year if you can find video.

IMO..They go from being a serious contender to a hopeful wildcard w/o LT!
Perhaps? But that cuts both ways. IMO same holds true for the pats if TB goes down.

No. Not exactly. LT's only missed one game in his career and that's cos Schotty sat him intentionally. But there have been games where Turner has lit it up to the point that LT ended up sitting out far more plays than normal. Look at SD's game against the Titans last year if you can find video.

Perhaps? But that cuts both ways. IMO same holds true for the pats if TB goes down.
I agree to a point. Brady is the man for us, but I think if LT went down compared to Brady, we would have a better chance of winning our division than you guys. The Pats could still take the Jets, I don't even know if the Chargers will win the West with a healthy LT. What say you?

Last edited:

I agree to a point. Brady is the man for us, but I think if LT went down compared to Brady, we would have a better chance of winning our division than you guys. The Pats could still take the Jets, I don't even know if the Chargers will win the West with a healthy LT. What say you?
I think Cutler is over rated and the people give far too much credit to the Broncos. They've done nothing to shore up their weak OL this off season and Cutler has a total of 6 starts under his belt. They lost Wilson who was the heart of their D and he will be missed. Everyone thinks Denver's secondary is second to none. We torched their secondary last year both times we played them. Bly will not be enough this year and they will not have an answer again this year. The Bolts new rookie WR Craig Davis is going to turn heads all season long.

I think the Bolts still win the west if LT goes down. The burner is not a big drop off and we've got a lot of other weapons.

I think Cutler is over rated and the people give far too much credit to the Broncos. They've done nothing to shore up their weak OL this off season and Cutler has a total of 6 starts under his belt. They lost Wilson who was the heart of their D and he will be missed. Everyone thinks Denver's secondary is second to none. We torched their secondary last year both times we played them. Bly will not be enough this year and they will not have an answer again this year. The Bolts new rookie WR Craig Davis is going to turn heads all season long.

I think the Bolts still win the west if LT goes down. The burner is not a big drop off and we've got a lot of other weapons.

Charger offense versus the Denver Defense. that's an interesting matchup. We don't foresee Denver having a good run defense but having a good pass defense. The Chargers are best with the run. I'd say the Chargers steamroll over the Denver Defense--not through the air.

On another note, I thought Denver was supposed to have one of the best offensive lines in the league?

Here's a better look at the Burner. He's a beast who will start for another team next year.

Good info. Maybe I do over-estimate the Broncos and under-estimate the Chargers. I have a hard time thinking that Norv Turner is an improvement over Marty and my reluctance to count out the Donks is from years of watching the Pats get beaten by them. It's sort of like a 'gag' reflex whenever I think about the Broncos.

Here's a better look at the Burner. He's a beast who will start for another team next year.

I think they are doing the right thing by sitting Tomlinson, running back is a pretty instinctive position, and needs little practice, and even less for a vetran like Tomlinson.

I think the other reason behind this is to showcase Turner, as mentioned he is in his walk year, and while they certainly are not going to re-sign him, they might either give him a transition tag. More likely is that they trade him this year, for a high draft pick.

I think they are doing the right thing by sitting Tomlinson, running back is a pretty instinctive position, and needs little practice, and even less for a vetran like Tomlinson.

I think the other reason behind this is to showcase Turner, as mentioned he is in his walk year, and while they certainly are not going to re-sign him, they might either give him a transition tag. More likely is that they trade him this year, for a high draft pick.
Nah, that's not gonna happen. AJ is on record multiple times this year saying exactly that and I believe him. You've gotta understand, the FO and all us SD fans love this guy! Nobody wants to see him go. MT is on record saying he doesn't want to go.

The situation is what it is though. He was unrestricted this year and SD tagged him and tendered a 1st and a 3rd. If SD chooses to tag him again next year that's top 5 RB money. Either SD finds a way to sign him to a long term deal next year or he's walking. As long as LT is LT the odds are strong that he ends up walking. It's gonna suck and I'll be sad.

Turner is a huge drop-off from LDT. That isn't a knock on Turner. It's the reality when the starter is the best in the league at his position.

I don't really see the point in playing the "what if" game anyway. LDT hasn't had a major injury and I don't see a good reason to say he will other than the fact he plays football and guys get hurt playing football.

No, Turner was a restricted FA this year. Next year he will be unrestricted.
Hmm, my bad. I could have sworn he was a UFA.

In any case SD is not trading him anywhere this year and I think the team will be hard pressed to find the cap room next year to keep him.

Norm has decided to sit Ladanian Tomlinson out for the preseason instead of risking injury to the player,He is reportedly going to not play 1 down till week 1

Now if that does not emphasize who is the piece that keeps the puzzle together in San Diego nothing will.

San Diego is an also ran without Ladanian in the lineup so the team knows that and takes no chances.

Is that smart or should he get in real game action before the regular season starts - I guess it can be looked at both ways

I know I would rather see Brady,Wilfork and Maroney and Moss ect not play in the preseason to avoid injury but do you think this would be a good thing or should they get out thereif not for a quarter or two and get ready for the real stuff starting in week 1?
it's not something norn initiated, LT didn't play a down last preseason either...didn't seem to hurt his game come regular season

he played 1 down of the preseason in 05, 44 yard td vs the rams i believe on that one play

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes