PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork shows up for minicamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely love the approach that Vince has taken. He's such a class act. Needless to say, I hope they sign the guy to his long-term deal.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the approach that Vince has taken. He's such a class act. Needless to say, I hope they sign the guy to his long-term deal.

Not that I'm a cynic, but that's exactly the senitment that is purposefully being cultivated by this calculated move by Wilfork.

Wilfork's agent couldn't have put it any better!

Not that I'm a cynic, but that's exactly the senitment that is purposefully being cultivated by this calculated move by Wilfork.

Quite possibly.

But if he was morally entitled to sit out -- and he indeed was -- then he's also morally entitled to fish for marketing advantage by not sitting out. :)

I believe that Mrs. Wilfork has a huge say in this decision.

I'm really glad to hear that Big Vince has showed up. Its a smart move on his part
I can't help but wonder what the team is thinking here by not getting this done?
Warren was done two years left on his rookie deal, I believe.
If Vince is asking for top 5 money at his position, is this an unreasonable request?
He's a key to the D and while I have have near blind faith in our management team, this situation has left me questioning managements judgment for the first time in a long time.
I just don't get it!
Respects,

Rich

I totally see that side of it as well and don't doubt that it could be a ploy. Either way, though, I think this is the smartest way for Vince to deal with it.

This is a great move. Vince can grumble and rumble till week 10 then start to really make noise about a hold up.

reason with 10 games done his contract obligations are done per NFL and does accure this season. so he is can sit from week 10 gong forward this means the team either accepts that will not play going forward and prepare for wright/brace at NT [Not sure if they will franchise him once it goes this far making him a FA]or offers him a contract or come to an agreement of not tagging him for next year making him a FA.

satz

Last edited:
Vince is a class act and one of my favorite Patriots. I follow him on twitter. The other day he sent 3 tweets from his barbecue. Based on his minicap photos, I'm looking forward to receiving tweets from the salad bar instead going forward. ( There is just more of him to love now ! )

I didn't think this warranted a new thread, but wanted to pass along a couple of other articles on Vince.

Vince will hit that fork when it comes by Tom King of The Nashua Telegraph:

“I signed up to a six year deal and I’m going to meet all my obligations" ... Wilfork says he also expects to report to training camp in late July, regardless of his contract situation, or even if his agent advises him to stay away.

Indeed, Wilfork talked about how he doesn’t want to eventually become a free agent, because it would possibly mean that he’d be leaving. He has roots in the community, and has been honest and genuine about his feelings, and even informed the Patriots beforehand he wouldn’t be attending the OTAs.

Kraft said Wilfork’s popularity is well known. On Wednesday morning, before attending mini-camp, he toured the General Electric Plant in Lynn, Mass. “and the question that kept coming up was ‘We’re not going to let Vince get out of here, are we?’ So he’s got a lot of fans in this region and we all reaiize how special he is.”

The skinny on Vinny: Wilfork too valuable to let go by Michael Hurley of NESN:

Wilfork is due about $2.2 million this season. Certainly, it would not be unreasonable for him to request somewhere in the $4 million-$5 million range. For the Patriots, such a contract would be manageable, but with fellow defensive linemen Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green hitting the free-agent market after the season, it may restrict their options going forward.

Regardless, Wilfork has all the leverage, both physically and figuratively. When the Patriots drafted Wilfork with the 21st selection in 2004, they did so because he was perfect for the Pats’ 3-4 defense. Ted Washington had plugged the hole in the middle for a year but was 35 years old. The younger, more agile Wilfork looked to be the right fit.

As it turned out, he was. In his first season, Wilfork — splitting time with Keith Traylor — was part of the potent defense of the 14-2 Patriots team that rolled to a Super Bowl victory over the Eagles.

And in the name of impartiality, there is also a differing viewpoint. Thanks For Playing: Pats Can Kiss Wilfork Goodbye by Dan Guttenplan of WEEI:

After talking about Wilfork's value on the field, Wilfork's value in dollars, the market for 3-4 nose tackles, Wilfork's contract, Wilfork's value to the Pats, and the Pats ability to really afford Seymour, Wilfork and Warren, Guttenplan thinks it won't be Vince's decision - it will be his wife's.

There’s no question she’ll be heavily involved. This is a woman who defends her husband from commenters on Deadspin.com. In a story in the Boston Globe last year, Wilfork admitted the only way Bill Belichick can contact him in the offseason is by calling his wife. In college, Vince’s wife Bianca was in charge of interviewing agents. She literally quizzed several on the value of incentives and escalator clauses. Vince seems like the kind of guy who would be perfectly content making $2.2 million the rest of his life. His wife? Not so much. She started dating Wilfork in college, waiting for the moment that’s approaching — her hubby’s huge payday. Vince could play in Cincinnati next year for all she cares. She wants her $10 million a year. And what does that mean, gentlemen? Vince is getting his money.

Crazy as that may sound I do recall her coming up with a DVD from the game film in the Buffalo game when Wilfork hit Losman, and showing it to Roger Goodell as proof that Vince should not be fined or suspended for that hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News