PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
For sure, there could be set backs, but Vince Wilfork is reportedly looking great and recovering better than anyone thought...except Vince Wilfork.

Talk about a positive thinker and a winner.

"I'm not surprised," Wilfork said after the team's final practice of mandatory minicamp, in his first extensive remarks since the injury and his contract negotiation. "I know there are a bunch of stats and everything going against a person my size (6-foot-2, 325 pounds) with the injury. Right now, I can't ask for it to be any better.

"It was never in my mind that I thought I could never come back from this," he continued. "From the time they told me I did, from the time I had the surgery, I knew that I was going to be back ready to rock and roll. I knew it was going to be tough. I know how tough the injury is, but I tell myself over and over again, I'm not the average person. I just do things a little differently than most people that had this injury, or the size of people that had this injury.

"I'm going to stick with my guns until I prove myself wrong. That's always going to be my motto. I'm going to be true to myself."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...mitations-training-camp?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Last edited:
The year that the Patriots drafted VW a lot of people (me included) were hoping that they would take Steven Jackson -- and he turned out to be a great player too. Then, when Wilfork dropped down the draft board, people started wondering whether there wasn't some character issue. His college nickname was "Baby Sapp" and everyone thought of him as a penetrator, not a run-stuffer. He didn't immediately establish himself as the next Ted Washington.

All of which is to say that he's done everything anyone could possibly have hoped for and a lot more. He's been strong, versatile, uncomplaining and a great team-mate. If you want to know what veteran leadership is, you only need to look at VW. I don't want to jinx his recovery, but, if he really does make a full come-back, no one could have deserved it more.

Go for it, Big Man!

Vince-Wilfork-Turkey.jpg

I doubt I'm Vince's biggest defender, but I'm either in the group or cheering and toasting that group on from the sidelines.

Wilfork is right up there with Brady, Bruschi and Brown in terms of this fan's love and loyalty.

Though the name Wilfork is really messing up my "B" alliteration/scansion thing I've got going on.. :(

The year that the Patriots drafted VW a lot of people (me included) were hoping that they would take Steven Jackson -- and he turned out to be a great player too. Then, when Wilfork dropped down the draft board, people started wondering whether there wasn't some character issue. His college nickname was "Baby Sapp" and everyone thought of him as a penetrator, not a run-stuffer. He didn't immediately establish himself as the next Ted Washington.

Though I'm not a college fan so much, I did see one shot of Vince penetrating with his speed and aggression and was startled. It didn't seem fair or safe (for the qb) that someone that big could move like that.

Of course, I wondered about the scheme fit, since he was a penetrator, but that wild bull rush stuck in my mind and I thought, this is crazy, we have to take this guy at 21. Great post, it echoed my thoughts, except for the indelible impression of his athleticism and ferocity from one play.

Wilforks plate from FLA says "FATTBOI". Saw it the other day on his huge rig. Big vince!

Wilfork is to the defense what Brady is to the offense, he is the leader on and off the field. I love Wilfork and am grateful as hell that the Patriots did not release him and they were able to rectify the contract situation.

For sure, there could be set backs, but Vince Wilfork is reportedly looking great and recovering better than anyone thought...except Vince Wilfork.

Talk about a positive thinker and a winner.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...mitations-training-camp?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I have been openly skeptical about the ability of a 32-year old 325+ lb. defensive lineman to come back from such an injury, especially this year. And despite Wilfork's amazing progress so far, I remain somewhat skeptical that he will be able to plant with the same kind of explosiveness, or avoid re-injury. But he has exceeded my expectations already, and I will be thrilled if he continues to prove me wrong. Go, big man, go.

Tough injury to come back from. I'm certainly hoping for a full recovery.

I have been openly skeptical about the ability of a 32-year old 325+ lb. defensive lineman to come back from such an injury, especially this year. And despite Wilfork's amazing progress so far, I remain somewhat skeptical that he will be able to plant with the same kind of explosiveness, or avoid re-injury. But he has exceeded my expectations already, and I will be thrilled if he continues to prove me wrong. Go, big man, go.

I can't remember about what/who you did this before with (Edelman maybe?), but I truly respect your ability to admit after the fact when you were (hopefully) wrong, Mayo.

Respect.

Last edited:
Absolutely one of my favorite Patriots of all time. May he end his career here with more rings.

To be honest, I'm a huge Wilfork fan and started to get pissed in those threads. Then I stepped back and realized I wasn't being objective so I just stopped posting.

I agree we sure don't know what will happen physically, but i started this thread just to praise his indomitable spirit and I'm sure we feel the same way on that.

I never believed he was 325 lbs.,but that is the way the NFL does stuff... without regard his progress will be interesting, his athleticness will certainly help. Wonder if he can still dunk a b-ball??

Really like Wilfork, but this publicist(Bianca) could take or leave...

All of which is to say that he's done everything anyone could possibly have hoped for and a lot more. He's been strong, versatile, uncomplaining and a great team-mate. If you want to know what veteran leadership is, you only need to look at VW. I don't want to jinx his recovery, but, if he really does make a full come-back, no one could have deserved it more.

Go for it, Big Man!

I really don't know what more can be said. Well-written and spot on.

You guys are just sucking up to Vince because you want to be invited over to his house for a huge barbecue like you saw Vince cooking in that gif Bianca posted.

You guys are just sucking up to Vince because you want to be invited over to his house for a huge barbecue like you saw Vince cooking in that gif Bianca posted.

No way! We ****ified soccer-loving Europeans stick to Brie and the occasional (small) glass of Chablis ...

Continental commie-Euros. The Brits quaff piss warm beer.

No way! We ****ified soccer-loving Europeans stick to Brie and the occasional (small) glass of Chablis ...

So how do you reconcile the fact that just the other day Wilfork was quoted as saying: "I love me some soccer!" :D

Continental commie-Euros. The Brits quaff piss warm beer.

Nonsense. The Brits serve beer cool so that drinkers can appreciate the flavour. American beer has no flavour so it doesn't matter that people serve it at the same temperature as Coca-Cola.

So how do you reconcile the fact that just the other day Wilfork was quoted as saying: "I love me some soccer!" :D

I didn't see that, but I'm guessing that Big Vince isn't seriously worried that admitting liking soccer will lead to doubts about his manliness ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes