Nice LB breakdown . case for McClellin

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Nice article by Rich Hill . looking at McClellin's value to Pats 2017:
Get ready to hear more about Patriots LB Shea McClellin this summer

McC didn't have a good SBLI . & doesn't have a big fan base here . so this article explains quite well why - while not a lock - it should be no surprise him making the roster.

Note: He carries 3.3M cap hit; his release would create 1.5M savings & 1.6M dead cap (trade possible . cut less likely)
__

LB will be one of the most intriguing roster battles to monitor with only Hightower a lock. All others are entering minicamp w something to prove after last yrs Qs: McClellin had injury/concussion problems during last preseason and first part of the season that somewhat affected his contribution, Van Noy and Bates came mid season so this will be the first time they can take advantage of Pats camps, Freeny is coming back from IR (shoulder) and wore red non-contact shirt in OTAs so far, Roberts will have some coverage Qs to answer 2nd time around; Pats didn't bring any FA LB or drafted any . but they did bring two UDFAs in Ellis and Langi . While Ellis looks like a long shot even for PS . Langi should have a real shot at 53 . being the highest paid UDFA of all 2017 class. 6 guys fighting pretty equally for 3-4 open spots so it might come down to ST (or even trade) value.

Note: Pats had 3 other vet LBs for workouts (btw - all already signed elsewhere) . so they could add another LB in the mix before TC..

In addition there are other possible OLBs to consider: Ninko spent a lot of last years TC with LBs, Rivers could be a serious option here as well and we should not sleep on Corey Vereen:

__

Let me add this nugget from the OTA thread (from Reiss) . to spice things up:

It is rare to see Brady appear to make a mistake with a read that results in him throwing an interception. It happened in Super Bowl LI, and the Patriots’ own defense was buzzing on Thursday
/June 1st/ when it happened again at the team’s voluntary organized team activity. With two defenders dropping into the flats, and linebacker Shea McClellin “jamming” a running back to disrupt timing, McClellin showed his reliable hands when Brady attempted to dump the ball off to D.J. Foster but wasn’t expecting McClellin to be there. Ever the competitor, Brady probably lost some sleep over that one in recent days.

Here in pictures:
TB intc McC 2.png
TB intc McC 1.png

Last edited:
For whatever reason Van Noy seemed to catch on quicker and was more productive than McClellin. This board will probably implode if Freeny makes the roster. I wonder if that $3.28 million cap # will work against McClellin, even though the Patriots currently have plenty of cap space.

I know the players and formations are interchangeable, but didn't the Patriots go with a 4-2 as often or more often than a 3-3? If so does a final roster spot go to an extra defensive back over a linebacker?

Ninkovich is 33 and may have lost half a step, but I feel as though he still has at least one more productive year left in him, regardless of where he lines up. He's a year removed from the torn triceps, which should help his game.

Elandon Roberts was a nice story early in the season but turned out to be a liability in coverage. Hopefully he will have improved in that area, or he could be gone.

Regarding other veteran linebackers, how about Perry Riley? I know Oakland's defense wasn't very good, but my Raider friends tell me he played very well last year, and can't understand why he is unsigned.

For what it's worth (not much), here are the 2016 defensive snap counts for the linebacking corps, per PFR.

Snaps -- % --- Player
708 -- 68% -- Dont'a Hightower
438 -- 42% -- Jamie Collins
380 -- 36% -- Shea McClellin
271 -- 26% -- Elandon Roberts
249 -- 24% -- Kyle Van Noy
97 ---- 9% --- Jonathan Freeny
47 ---- 5% --- Barkevious Mingo

Also, their special team snaps:
323 -- 72% -- Mingo
218 -- 49% -- McClellin
58 ---- 13% -- Van Noy
53 ---- 12% -- Hightower
49 ---- 11% -- Freeny
24 ---- 5% --- Collins
19 ---- 4% --- Roberts

Aside from the discussion on who will be the linebacker(s) alongside Hightower, who will end up being the core ST player from among the linebackers to replace Mingo? Harvey Langi? Derek Rivers? Brooks Ellis? Trevor Bates? Someone else?

Well I certainly jinxed Vereen there..
Will be interesting to see if they keep him on IR.
(small sigh of relief esp. from Grissom..)
__

Certainly looks like the search for LB is not over . While Riley is an intriguing option Id prefer somebody w speed and coverage (Worrilow and Gachkar were looks in that direction). Kendricks could still be released..

I know the players and formations are interchangeable, but didn't the Patriots go with a 4-2 as often or more often than a 3-3? If so does a final roster spot go to an extra defensive back over a linebacker?

Ninkovich is 33 and may have lost half a step, but I feel as though he still has at least one more productive year left in him, regardless of where he lines up. He's a year removed from the torn triceps, which should help his game.

Elandon Roberts was a nice story early in the season but turned out to be a liability in coverage. Hopefully he will have improved in that area, or he could be gone.

Jmt- I don't have the All-22 or anything, but I would wager serious $ Pats played more 42 than 33. They also played Chung as a lb with 5 other dbs on the field (usually 3 cbs plus Dmac and Harmon quite a bit). Don't know if you call that 42; it's really 41 with 6 dbs.

Pats were in sub 80% last year; it's been going up each year, with every team in the NFL averaging 70%+. That s/lb hybrid is becoming a necessity. No matter what,we should all kneel and pray at the great flexibility BB had built on both O and D. It really is a very underrated weapon but a lethal one.

I agree about both Nink and Roberts. I think Nink might surprise some people this year if he's healthy.

I agree about both Nink and Roberts. I think Nink might surprise some people this year if he's healthy.
Surprise people in what way? Just curious to hear your thoughts, that's all. Some people aren't even convinced that Ninkovich is a roster lock at this point in his career.

Personally, I think his football smarts/attitude and versitilty make him a lock for one last year. That said, he's definitely lost a step or two and will most likely see a decrease in snaps due to his age + the addition of some new players at the position. I would consider him more of a rotational player than ever, and I think we pretty much know exactly what we're getting. He's a good, consistent, experienced player in this system, but he's getting up there in age and certainly has some physical limitations.

Mcclellin is 27 years old and has 5 years NFL experience.. for that reason alone, he might stick around as there are a lot of very young players in this group..

Think Ninkovich has a better chance of being let go...

When you read a thread such as this you realize how "young" our DL and LB's are... after SB LI speed will be a greater value for this team, which is another variable to consider.

Which is why Vereen was let go Nink type of athleticism without his instincts for the pro game or Football IQ wasn't a good bet.

Surprise people in what way? Just curious to hear your thoughts, that's all. Some people aren't even convinced that Ninkovich is a roster lock at this point in his career.

Personally, I think his football smarts/attitude and versitilty make him a lock for one last year. That said, he's definitely lost a step or two and will most likely see a decrease in snaps due to his age + the addition of some new players at the position. I would consider him more of a rotational player than ever, and I think we pretty much know exactly what we're getting. He's a good, consistent, experienced player in this system, but he's getting up there in age and certainly has some physical limitations.

Bear in mind, I did qualify it with " if he's healthy" and no guarantees there.
A lot of people think he's toast. I don't understand that. When he played,he was very productive.
We're on the same page. I also see him as a valuable rotational player,with a reduced workload. It's the naysayers who will be surprised (again) at how well he plays,providing he's healthy

Which is why Vereen was let go Nink type of athleticism without his instincts for the pro game or Football IQ wasn't a good bet.

Well, he's on IR, so he was actually injured. Can't make too many assumptions beyond that. I do think he probably lacks the athleticism to succeed in this league, but he's a tenacious and solid player.

So same LB corp as the SBLI winners and #1 lowest points allowed defense, minus Mingo plus Freeny. It's great to improve, but doesn't sound dire to me.

For what it's worth (not much), here are the 2016 defensive snap counts for the linebacking corps, per PFR.

Snaps -- % --- Player
708 -- 68% -- Dont'a Hightower
438 -- 42% -- Jamie Collins
380 -- 36% -- Shea McClellin
271 -- 26% -- Elandon Roberts
249 -- 24% -- Kyle Van Noy
97 ---- 9% --- Jonathan Freeny
47 ---- 5% --- Barkevious Mingo

Also, their special team snaps:
323 -- 72% -- Mingo
218 -- 49% -- McClellin
58 ---- 13% -- Van Noy
53 ---- 12% -- Hightower
49 ---- 11% -- Freeny
24 ---- 5% --- Collins
19 ---- 4% --- Roberts

Aside from the discussion on who will be the linebacker(s) alongside Hightower, who will end up being the core ST player from among the linebackers to replace Mingo? Harvey Langi? Derek Rivers? Brooks Ellis? Trevor Bates? Someone else?

Based on the special teams numbers, I wonder if Roberts is most on the bubble of the major contributers.

Based on the special teams numbers, I wonder if Roberts is most on the bubble of the major contributers.

Ironically he was projected a special teamer w/ hard time breaking D line-up.

He carried injuries during his rookie season and had to step in on D early due to Freeny's & McClellin's & Hightower's injuries and Collins departure, so his value was on D.

His uncanny instincts and shark tackling should make him a perfect STer if need be..

Ironically he was projected a special teamer w/ hard time breaking D line-up.

He carried injuries during his rookie season and had to step in on D early due to Freeny's & McClellin's & Hightower's injuries and Collins departure, so his value was on D.

His uncanny instincts and shark tackling should make him a perfect STer if need be..

How about a guy like Langi for some ST value? It seems as though they like him for his LB potential. Ultimately, I think it's still McClellin as the main LB who is seeing ST snaps. I'm not sure that there is a place for Freeny any longer.

I think Roberts is safe based on his defensive potential. After all, he was 4th in defensive reps and that was with Collins still here for 1/2 the season. From the early reports, he has been showing more signs of leadership and offering more of a vocal presence.

I think HT, McClellin, Roberts, and Langi as the main locks. Just my opinion.

I think Roberts is safe based on his defensive potential. After all, he was 4th in defensive reps and that was with Collins still here for 1/2 the season. From the early reports, he has been showing more signs of leadership and offering more of a vocal presence.

I think HT, McClellin, Roberts, and Langi as the main locks. Just my opinion.

Don't sleep on KVN and Bates. Its their first preseason w Pats.
Bates could be a serious ST option.

Good read, thanks.

I hadn't really considered that, but I feel like hes safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back