PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork $12K lighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think he was getting his arm out to tackle/contact him before he was pushed down; how the resulting tackle/contact would have been without the push is difficult to say.
He had enough time to tuck his arm back into his body when he was tackled. From my angle on the couch, it did look intentional.

======================================

Try watching the replay without blue colored glass's.

I have seen much worse and I am not saying he tried to take out a knee, But big Vince threw the elbow on purpose.

Elbow on purpose? I am sure of it.

Haven't seen much worse? Then there is no way you watch much football. Brady gets hit worse than that at least 3-4 times a season. I see plays that are that bad every single weekend. The only difference is

a) A QB got injured.
b) NE was involved.

Last year, for example, Kyle Vandon Bosch literally dove into Brady's front knee without any OL around him. It was a clear and blatant attempt to injure a player that stood in the way of TN making the playoffs. They also attempted to injure Ty Warren and Rodney (successful with that one). Brady also has speared in the kidney as he was sliding by a Jax player who lowered his head to ensure maximum injury potential.

Wilfork was essentially tackled by the OL and stuck his elbow out to try and disrupt the play. Nothing more, nothing less.

What would Butkus think of all of this?? Was Tony Eason way ahead of his time wearing a skirt???
=====================================

This is not our fathers football.

Butkus was 220 lbs, taking on 250 lbs O linemen.

The game has changed with the super freak athletes that we see today. The league has to protect the franchise QBs.

BTW, Denver and Atlanta have their OL do more dangerous things 10 times every single game. It's just that it isn't so blatantly out in the open and it isn't on the pretty boys of the NFL.

Haven't seen much worse?
I believe he said he has seen much worse, not hasn't.

Haven't seen much worse? Then there is no way you watch much football. Brady gets hit worse than that at least 3-4 times a season. I see plays that are that bad every single weekend. The only difference is

a) A QB got injured.
b) NE was involved.

Last year, for example, Kyle Vandon Bosch literally dove into Brady's front knee without any OL around him. It was a clear and blatant attempt to injure a player that stood in the way of TN making the playoffs. They also attempted to injure Ty Warren and Rodney (successful with that one). Brady also has speared in the kidney as he was sliding by a Jax player who lowered his head to ensure maximum injury potential.

Wilfork was essentially tackled by the OL and stuck his elbow out to try and disrupt the play. Nothing more, nothing less.
====================================

I think you misread my post. I said I have seen much worse.

Wilfork is a good guy and a great NT, who happened to make a mistake and hit JP below the knee, wich is a rule violation nothing more nothing less.

====================================

I think you misread my post. I said I have seen much worse.

Wilfork is a good guy and a great NT, who happened to make a mistake and hit JP below the knee, wich is a rule violation nothing more nothing less.

Yeah. I am stupid. Sorry about that.

Don't know if this was mentioned, in the 2003 season finale, there was a similar hit on Brady when Lawyer Milloy tripped over Faulk and hit Brady low. Milloy is great friends with Brady, the season was over and nothing was at stake and it was an honest accident.

But if you look at the film, it looked nasty. Similar situation here. I don't have a problem with the fine, these guys make a ton of money and if it deters others from taking out Brady, I'm all for it.

The biggest problem with football is that there are so few guys who can play QB at a high level and if you take them out, you lose the thrill and the competition. This last superbowl was a perfect example (well, in that case, the Colts were probably tiptoeing around Grossman).

at least we didnt lose a draft pick :confused:

======================================

Try watching the replay without blue colored glass's.

I have seen much worse and I am not saying he tried to take out a knee, But big Vince threw the elbow on purpose.

as apposed to your Green colored glasses. This did not deserve a fine and Goodell is going crazy

He was tackled by the ankles, but it's what he did on his way down that got him the fine.

Trying to bring down a QB with the ball?

But i do see the larger point:
judge the outcome, not the intent.

As soon as I saw that hit I said: 10K fine

I wasn't much off. Can anyone honestly say they thought that Vince wasn't going to get fined? It was a hit below the knees (intentional or not) of a QB that knocked him out of the game.

as apposed to your Green colored glasses. This did not deserve a fine and Goodell is going crazy
Yeah, I mean, he only took out the guy's knee, what's the fine for?

His salary + pro-rated signing bonus is $1.2 milion this year.

$12,000 is exactly 1% of that, or the equivalent of a $500 fine to someone making $50,000 a year.

Not small change, but not anything he'd lose sleep over.

On the other hand, I can't imagine what it would be like if I got fined for breaking rules around the office... though there are a couple of guys here at work that I'd elbow in the knee if it was only a $500 fine.

Trying to bring down a QB with the ball?

1.) The QB no longer had the ball.

2.) He hit him in the knee with his elbow.

As soon as I saw the play I knew it was a fine. Whether he was being tackled or not doesn't matter. Guys get fined for the same thing all the time. This wasn't out of the ordinary.

Was there some sort of 'finding of fact' so to speak to go with the penalty? Or did they just send him a bill?

I'm wondering if the league looks at this as negligence or intent to injure on Vinny's part.

12 K? Pocket change to Vince. No biggie, I think the only thing bothering Vince is being called dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes