PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why We Lost Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the panic emotional threads and predictably idiotic suggestions by the Fantasy Football mentality crowd, it might be interesting to look at the myriad factors that resulted in today's debacle. In no particular order...

1. Poor defensive game plan preparation by the Pats coaches. The D seemed clueless to Miami's sweeps and formations.

2. Poor execution by the Pats Front Seven on run D. Not even CLOSE to the runner on may plays. Phins center owned Wilfork.

3. No substantive help by Rodney on run D.

4. No presure on Penny. ZERO sacks I believe.

5. Pass coverage by DBs poor. Penny hit 85% of his passes. Pathetic.

6. Slack coverage by the DBs, somewhat mitigated by lack of pressure on the QB by the MIA front seven.

7. Mediocre, at best, performance by the QB. Bad decisions and a fumble. I noticed Cassel looking for one WR and throwing to another but he was too indecisive and failed to make sufficient strong plays, the excellent TD toss one notable exception.

8. Pats #1 WR not following through on routes. Disconcerting at best.

9. Pathetic protection for the QB. Kaczur & Light notable examples. TEs pathetic assisting.

10. Too many same old slants and WR screens from Josh McD. I'm not calling for bombs away downfield, but there is such a thing as an occasional 20 yd throw pass play. See #9 for maybe why not.

BONUS
11. Pink Hat fans. EARLY in the game no noise whatsoever for the D. Admitedly they didn't play well but EARLY in the game we need noise on D.

Played Well...
1. STs with Hobbsie's KRs. OUTSTANDING.
2. Gost's continued consistent FG kicking.

What slants? Yes, I agree about the WR screens, but there weren't any slants. They were "IN" routes.

You need to add Mankins to the list of O-linemen who were poor. Mankins was directly responsible for one of the sacks.

The answer is simple. Cassell stinks! And until the Patriots brass realize this, this team will have a 50-50 shot at winning every week.

O'Connell is young and inexperienced but he should has already shown more than Cassell has in 4 years. Cassell should have been cut in pre-season.

O'Connell will make mistakes along the way, but he is already a better QB than Cassell will ever be. Hopefully, Pats will expedite his training and he will start in 2 weeks.

OK. Briz, Jr. Guess WHat. O'Connell didn't show JACK today and its ignorance that you claim he's shown more so far than Cassel because it just isn't reality.

Its difficult to throw the ball when you spend half the day on your ass. Our OL sucks, the only reason they made the pro bowl last year was because they had a HOF QB behind them who made them look good. With an average QB they are exposed. Don't blame Cassel, you can't throw the ball with people in your face all day. The kid got pummeled several times.

Light and Kaczur are horrible.

Light isn't horrible. If you are going to say so, then you better add Mankins to that list. And, for your information, Light was named an ALL PRO. Which means that his PEERS recognized him as the best last year.

But last year isn't THIS year. And that's what people forget.

Cassel did play lousy. He has to shoulder some of the blame. But people who insist on judging him on one game are the most ignorant people out there. You people are absolutely clueless and you thinking you know more than Belichick is a joke.

BONUS
11. Pink Hat fans. EARLY in the game no noise whatsoever for the D. Admitedly they didn't play well but EARLY in the game we need noise on D.

Played Well...
1. STs with Hobbsie's KRs. OUTSTANDING.
2. Gost's continued consistent FG kicking.

In the played well category, Hanson actually punted extremely well. He had one of the best punts I've ever seen (65-70 yard boom that came to rest perfectly on the 1) ruined by Slater picking it up after going out of bounds even though he could've waited for Hanson himself to come down it, the ball wasn't going anywhere.

As for the pink hat fans, the enthusiasm died after the in the grasp bull****. However, the fact that people were leaving after the 3rd quarter was disgraceful. "Fans" were booing the team which was unbelievable.

Oh, and O'Connell looked better than Cassel in his limited playing time. That doesn't mean much, but it's something.

Last edited:
Hey Maybe if Cassel would of got us some points, or D would be rested and wouldn't of allowed so many points... Cassel is the problem. Take a chance sometimes. You have Randy Moss, throw it deep a few times. Come on. I'm not saying the D played well...they sucked today.

Cassel...1-5 as a starter. TWO TDs.

Cassel is 1-1 as a starter.

You can't throw it deep to Moss if the O-line can't give Cassel enough time to set. And, had you actually watched the game, you'd know that they didn't.

You clearly have quite a few screws loose if you think that Cassel is to blame for the absolutely horrid defense that was on the field in the 1st quarter.

ya well im counting them. Cuz they are games....They showed me he cant even be a backup in the NFL, and how hes our starter...that's not good. Kevin will be starting by week 6.

So, you are an ignorant person who gives Cassel credit for losses even when he didn't play half a game. Nice.

Who cares what you think. You've shown you are a nonsensical person whose judgment is severely lacking.

Cassuck is the answer. He couldn't run the O in the preseason games and 3 games. D played horribly today.

If the O did the job, D didn't suck too bad. When you have bad O and D, we lost the game.

Cassuck has been here long enough to run the O with 2 best WRs and he couldn't do that. It's time to fire him because he slows the team down. You can't win any game by scoring 1TD and 2 or 3 field goals and this is something we have seen Cassuck doing in all the games.

The fact that we dumb down our O plan for him doesn't help much because we didn't score.

My Cassuck TRIAL membership is OVER. As long as we still let him play, we go no where.

Furthermore, we need to take a hard look at our D at this point.
Two great defensive efforts and one bad one so we need to take a hard look?

Do you want to make a clean sweep and cut all 11? Of just Seymour, Wilfork and Warren who played the poorest?

Will you (and others, not jsut you personally) PLEASE realize that every team is going to lose games every year, that last year was an aberration? That we lost to the Dolphins a LOT in the past? That about every team has an upset win or loss every year?

You do NOT have to make changes based on one game that was out of character for the other games played so far.

Really, you don't.

Unless you really believe that Seymour, Wilfork and Warren suck and will never play at a high level again, just chill the hell out.

It is not time to panic, and changing your team based one game is STUPID.

Once more: EVERY GOOD TEAM WILL HAVE AN OCCAISIONAL SUCK GAME, AND EVERY BAD TEAM WILL PLAY A GAME OR TWO OVER THEIR HEADS.

EVERY GIVEN SUNDAY....

The only reason Cassel is still here is because he knows our playbook...if this would of happened next year... Kevin would be starting...END OF STORY...

Cassel sucks... and i'm not one of those people who just all of a sudden thinks he sucks because of this game.... Since we drafted him i knew he wouldn't do much. And this preseason made me hate him even more...he sucks... be prepared for about 5 more games from cassel that look like '
20-35 120yrs 0td-2int LLLLLL

...book it.

Most teams wont have a hard time stoping us when all we are doing is running screens for 3 yards and dumping the ball off for 5 yards...and on top of that...we can't get the running game started...

You are one of those people who are clueless about the game, yet have to sit there and b!tch and moan about things that aren't fact.

You'll disappear like all the other trolls by the end of the season.

Hey, let me guess. Its Cassel's fault that we can't get the running game going, right? I mean, its Cassel's fault that the O-line isn't opening hole and is getting hammered and beaten on just about every play. That's Cassel's fault, right? Nice show of nonsense there.

Tavaris Jackson > Matt Cassel

He's the worst starting QB in the league right now.

Tyler Thigpen says you need to pipe down because Cassel can't have his Title. Kyle Orton says that if Thigpen gives it up, that he's next in line, not Cassel.

Hey, let me guess. Its Cassel's fault that we can't get the running game going, right? I mean, its Cassel's fault that the O-line isn't opening hole and is getting hammered and beaten on just about every play. That's Cassel's fault, right? Nice show of nonsense there.

It is Cassel's fault that he misses open receivers by a pretty impressive margin, throws into double coverage, has zero touch on his short balls, and can't seem to complete a pass longer than 4 yards unless it somehow bounces off an opposing player's hands, however.

Dont be a smart ass. Obviousky Jackson isn't starting. Which is even sadder. The Vikings back up QB is better than our current starter

At least his smart ass comments are better than your dumbass ones.

Cassel played a lousy game today. What did he do the last 2 weeks? Played very well despite the O-line.

You might want to figure out that the O-line has just as much to do with the success of the QB as it does the success of the running game. If they aren't getting Cassel enough time to throw the ball or opening the holes for the RB, then the offense is going to fail.

And really, Cassuck? I'd expect that from Jets fans but not here...
Some Pats fans have less class than Jets fans.

And there are Jets fans who pose as Pats fans so they than knock the team while saying "we" instead of "you."

Anyway, who needs Jets trolls when we have our own resident detractors?

So, you are an ignorant person who gives Cassel credit for losses even when he didn't play half a game. Nice.

Who cares what you think. You've shown you are a nonsensical person whose judgment is severely lacking.

I'm not saying its ALL his fault. I'm just saying he isn't a very good QB and will never be. also, if he could sustain a drive a take some time off the clock,(take the pressure off the D) then maybe our D wouldn't of played like it did. They were tired, they knew the O wouldn't score that much so it put more pressure on them...along with incorrect reads.

WE COULD ONLY SCORE ONE TD AGAINST THE SECOND WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. are you kidding me.

If our passing O is working...or running attack works...We score points...our D has less pressure...we win.

I think it was the Os fault just about as much as the D.

It is Cassel's fault that he misses open receivers by a pretty impressive margin, throws into double coverage, has zero touch on his short balls, and can't seem to complete a pass longer than 4 yards unless it somehow bounces off an opposing player's hands, however.

How many "open" receivers did he miss by a wide margin?

I have news for you, Tom Brady threw into double coverage all the time. And he was 50/50 on his success rate.

I agree, he needs to work on his short passes some.

Your comment about the long passes is as ignorant as your ones about him missing open receivers and says you haven't watched the games the last two weeks.

BTW, I've said Cassel played lousy. But please try and explain how most of it is not directly affected by the poor protection from the O-line?

WE COULD ONLY SCORE ONE TD AGAINST THE SECOND WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

And that TD was because Ellis Hobbs gave the Patriots the ball at the Fins' 25.

To be fair, they should have had another TD that was called back and could have completely changed the candor of the game since it would have been the Patriots who opened the scoring, but Cassel and the offense looked terrible.

I'm not saying its ALL his fault. I'm just saying he isn't a very good QB and will never be. also, if he could sustain a drive a take some time off the clock,(take the pressure off the D) then maybe our D wouldn't of played like it did. They were tired, they knew the O wouldn't score that much so it put more pressure on them...along with incorrect reads.

WE COULD ONLY SCORE ONE TD AGAINST THE SECOND WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. are you kidding me.

If our passing O is working...or running attack works...We score points...our D has less pressure...we win.

I think it was the Os fault just about as much as the D.

No. You don't think that. You have stated, quite clearly, that you think its ALL Cassel's fault. You haven't said a damn thing about any other aspect of the team. So stop with your lies.

As for your dumb comment about scorintg "one TD against the second worst team in the league" I have news for you. Whether it was Cassel or Tom Brady, the team would have gotten slaughtered today. Also, how can you say that the Phins are the 2nd worst team in the league? Based on WHAT? Last year? 2 games this year? Are you truly that ignorant to believe that teams can't make significant changes in ONE season? I have news for you. In the age of parity, that happens more and more.

Cassel completed better than 60% of his passes against the Dolphins, despite the poor play of the offensive line and Moss quitting on a route. He is, in fact, 48 for 72 on the season, which works out to a 67% completion rate.

You should watch a game or two.

No. You don't think that. You have stated, quite clearly, that you think its ALL Cassel's fault. You haven't said a damn thing about any other aspect of the team. So stop with your lies.

As for your dumb comment about scorintg "one TD against the second worst team in the league" I have news for you. Whether it was Cassel or Tom Brady, the team would have gotten slaughtered today. Also, how can you say that the Phins are the 2nd worst team in the league? Based on WHAT? Last year? 2 games this year? Are you truly that ignorant to believe that teams can't make significant changes in ONE season? I have news for you. In the age of parity, that happens more and more.

What are you. Cassel's Dad or something..Settle down. He's NOT A GOOD QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back