PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Brady so off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, thanks for the correction. There seemed to be good parallels to draw from. An elite super bowl QB pple thought may not have it left in him, PO loss that called they're season into question(being SB favorites I'm sure), all the new talent being worked in as you described and just an overall sense of urgency to make it all work with a brilliant coach.

The above paragraph was meant to describe the 49ers but easily sounds like the patriots

No question. In 1986 and 1987, die-hard 49er football fans were wondering if Cool Joe was cooling off. Was it justified? To your point, he was the starting Qb for a team that lost 3 straight playoff games.

Last edited:
let's just hope Bad things happen in a series of 3

Probably all of the above. He choked hardcore. Looked almost scared out there, like a deer in the headlights.

He has been hearing footsteps, when you no longer trust your OL to protect your health you spend more time looking for the hit than watching the play unfold in front of you.

Montana's passer ratings in 3 playoff games 1985, 1986, 1987

Montana's passer ratings in 1988 & 1989

Wow 1989 he was on fire

Brady's gonna get killed for his crappy play.Plain and simple.The offensive execution left alot to be desired.I dont blame the OL as much as some here because i thought it wasnt as big a factor.Brady hung on to the ball on a couple of those sacks.They went 3 and out alot.:mad:

For every bad performance by Brady,Montana continues to distance himself more and more to compare the two to QBs winning in the postseason.

I don't think there is enough time left in Bradys career to have him even come close to Montana in terms of playoff performances.

At best Brady will be 2nd best in history but the others like Aikman and Bradshaw are closing the gap.

For every bad performance by Brady,Montana continues to distance himself more and more to compare the two to QBs winning in the postseason.

I don't think there is enough time left in Bradys career to have him even come close to Montana in terms of playoff performances.

At best Brady will be 2nd best in history but the others like Aikman and Bradshaw are closing the gap.

At Tommy's age Joe was 10-4 in the playoffs with 3 rings. Tommy is currently 14-5 with 3 rings. Joe won his last ring at 34, and was a .500 playoff QB thereafter...

I think Jay52 nailed this one on the head, the Jets are an extremely good defense that when they play their A game they should hold this offense in current form to <24 points every time. Our first drive was drawn up in the coaching staff rooms with BOB and Belichick which is why it was incredibly effective. The game plan was to get jump on the Jets and force them to start questioning them selves making the game easier, when Brady threw that int it gave the game to the Jets and then from there the team just never adjusted. No matter how well you do one facet of your game, if you can't be multidimensional you will lose in the playoffs. Both BOB and McDaniels have struggling with adjustments, like most coaches do. It's a league wide phenomena. Few teams can really adjust on the fly. Almost every offense has an achilles heal, it's one of the main reasons I have a tremendous amount of respect for Manning, event though I hate him. His strength of using audibles and the hurry up make their offense extremely potent, he is every bit as special as Tom is.

Last edited:
The Globe's Bedard had a good post-mortem today, and made a point that I agree with: The early pick gave Brady adversity for the first time in a long time, and he became gun shy":

"He is still terrific, but some of Tom Brady’s indecision didn’t have to do with any hits he took. The real difference-maker was the interception Brady threw on the first possession. Not only did it show the Jets that he wasn’t invincible, it put doubt into Brady’s head for the first time in 339 pass attempts.

Sure, the Patriots receivers were blanketed like never before, and the Jets’ scheme was something to marvel at. But there were throws for Brady to make, or even attempt."

Postseason postmortem: A look back and ahead - The Boston Globe

The Globe's Bedard had a good post-mortem today, and made a point that I agree with: The early pick gave Brady adversity for the first time in a long time, and he became gun shy":

"He is still terrific, but some of Tom Brady’s indecision didn’t have to do with any hits he took. The real difference-maker was the interception Brady threw on the first possession. Not only did it show the Jets that he wasn’t invincible, it put doubt into Brady’s head for the first time in 339 pass attempts.

Sure, the Patriots receivers were blanketed like never before, and the Jets’ scheme was something to marvel at. But there were throws for Brady to make, or even attempt."

If that's the case, then Brady should be happy with the three rings he got and shouldn't expect to get a fourth. Brady's been in the league for over a decade now. If he's STILL getting gun shy after throwing an interception against a good defense (given his level of play in that time), then Pats fans shouldn't be expecting another Super Bowl in the Tom Brady era. Everytime he's in the playoffs, he's going to be facing good, opportunistic defenses that will turn him over from time to time. Brady needs to get over throwing a pick the minute it happens and erase it from his mind.

Personally, I'm not entire positive that's what happened.

Thats stupid. Some guy with a job that lets him write a newspaper article tried to read Tom Bradys mind, and did it very poorly.

Montana was 16-7 Brady is 14-5
How does loss #5 distance you from the guy with 7 losses, who only had 2 more wins?
Enough time to COME CLOSE to closing the gap? How is ONE YEAR? If Brady and the Pats get a bye and win the SB next year, Brady is 17-5 to Montanas 16-7 and ties him in rings, in other words, passes him.

Thats stupid. Some guy with a job that lets him write a newspaper article tried to read Tom Bradys mind, and did it very poorly.

Bedard isn't stupid. I've actually been impressed with his knowledge of football X and O's.

Why do we have to score 30 points to win? We weren`t when we were winning Superbowls. We`ve become Indy.

I would make the case that Brady is better now than when he won Super Bowls. I don't even think its an argument. Our defense is average and we have a lot of "nice little players" on offense. We need to have the best over all team to win the SB.. QB's are great for regular season wins but we need great coaching and good all around team play in the playoffs. To me what I saw last week is still bizarre. I feel bad for people who tried to place money on games this season.

After certain losses you can say.. "we were out played and got are asses handed to us" or you can say "we were the better team but we really gave the game away".. I am not sure which way I feel about last weeks loss.

Last edited:
My opinion as far as this thread is concerned is that it would be unfair to say that Brady had an "off-game" without taking into account how awful the play-calling was, and how often it put Brady in a bad position, having to throw against the nickel, dime, and quarter and going on a MOFO read when the middle of the field was jammed with zone schemes.

When asked to throw, Brady is of course going to throw- that's his mentality. He's going to throw, no matter what looks he is given.

Bedard isn't stupid. I've actually been impressed with his knowledge of football X and O's.
I didnt say he was stupid, I said his comments were.
To say that throwing an Int made the thought of an Int enter Bradys head for the first time in 339 passes is stupid.

Why do we have to score 30 points to win? We weren`t when we were winning Superbowls. We`ve become Indy.

It's not just Indy. It's today's NFL. It's tough to win games on defense alone nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe