PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is everyone bad mouthing Dont'a Hightower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric (MA)

I am now convinced that Hightower was over-touted coming out of college. He feels like Adalius Thomas 2.0, everything you want in a LB: size, speed, intelligence but damn, he?s playing really slow on the field. I?m sure he?s got bumps, bruises and wear and tear from being an NFL LB having played all season, but I don?t think he?s hurt. Maybe there was no way he could live up to billing coming out of Bama but the problem I have is that I see no motor. What I want to see is Hightower running full speed. He appears hesitant on the field, hesitant to fill the holes, he?s awful in coverage but that?s asking a lot for a 270 lb LB. What is your expert analysis of Hightower, his play compared to your expectations?
Tedy (2:08 PM)

Dont'a Hightower is a good player. Has he struggles as of late? Absolutely. But you have to think of the adjustment he's had to make since Jerod Mayo went down. There is a lot more on his plate mentally. To have to deal with that for the first time during your career, during the season, can be very difficult. No longer is Mayo there to make sure everything is right before the ball is snapped. It now falls mostly on Hightower. Can he get help from Spikes and Ninkovich? Yes. They're easing him into the full-time LB communicator role with Devin McCourty having the green dot on his helmet. Playing ILB for Bill Belichick, after QB, is the most complex position on that team. Let's give the kid a little time to settle down and get his mind right because he was thrust into the fire after Mayo got hurt.

Chat: Chat with Tedy Bruschi - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

They need to play hiim at the line and have Ninkovich or Fletcher play MLB. At least they know where to go and what they're supposed to be doing.

I'm surprised Tedy is still defending this 270 lb. rock on the field. I'll take his word and hope he "eases" into his role.

Until that happens, the Pats D will play with 10 players and a rock.

I'm sure by now it's becoming known that Belichick went out of his way in his WEEI interview to make clear that he is very pleased with the play of Hightower ... (Listen at about 5 minutes in)

Head Coach Bill Belichick with Salk and Holley

He called him "High" (man that's gonna create a media feeding frenzy) and said he wished he had more players playing as well as Hightower.

This development may be worth a new thread, even if only for the context that it paints Belichick in: as a coach who's got his players' back.

He went into that interview knowing Hightower was a likely question and went out of his way to shelter his player from the negative spotlight - instead, giving him a public vote of confidence.

Belichick does everything for a reason and I think this type of positive reinforcement that Belichick uses towards a player (who I honestly think is struggling), really helps showcase what sets Belichick apart from other coaches.

Spikes and Hightower are being exposed for their lack of brains ... amazing how Mayo kept their brains focused ... oh well ... they tackle hard when they are in the right spot. :rolleyes:

Tedy Bruschi said:
Dont'a Hightower is a good player. Has he struggles as of late? Absolutely. But you have to think of the adjustment he's had to make since Jerod Mayo went down. There is a lot more on his plate mentally. To have to deal with that for the first time during your career, during the season, can be very difficult. No longer is Mayo there to make sure everything is right before the ball is snapped. It now falls mostly on Hightower. Can he get help from Spikes and Ninkovich? Yes. They're easing him into the full-time LB communicator role with Devin McCourty having the green dot on his helmet. Playing ILB for Bill Belichick, after QB, is the most complex position on that team. Let's give the kid a little time to settle down and get his mind right because he was thrust into the fire after Mayo got hurt.

This says it all really. With Mayo playing Donta doesn't need to think nearly as much and can let his instincts take over. Without Mayo, Donta is thinking and worried about the entire defense and not just his assignment.

This experience will accelerate Donta's growth as a player. Unfortunately it will make this Patriots team much more vulnerable in the playoffs.

Hopefully this season makes posters on here appreciate Mayo more.

And while Dont'a certainly could be a lot better in coverage I'll remind you all that he stuck to Doug Martin exceptionally well earlier this season.

I am surprised so many people already forget how down we were on Mayo during his second season. The same chats with Bru, the same questions, the same situation. Mayo came in to a deep linebacking corps, and in year two, was handed a full buffet of information that he had to process on his own. He was given more responsibility in a feast or famine situation.

Many of us thought his first year success was because his inefficient was a lack of talent, when in reality, something we forget over and over the linebacker role takes time and patience in this defense.

Ninko was given up on about 3 years in a row, while all knowledgeable fans wondered what Bill saw in Stinko.

This defense is hard. Hightowers role right now is near impossible. Give him some time. He may not be Chandler Jones, but neither is anyone else.

JoeSixPat said:
I'm sure by now it's becoming known that Belichick went out of his way in his WEEI interview to make clear that he is very pleased with the play of Hightower ... (Listen at about 5 minutes in)

Head Coach Bill Belichick with Salk and Holley

He called him "High" (man that's gonna create a media feeding frenzy) and said he wished he had more players playing as well as Hightower.

This development may be worth a new thread, even if only for the context that it paints Belichick in: as a coach who's got his players' back.

He went into that interview knowing Hightower was a likely question and went out of his way to shelter his player from the negative spotlight - instead, giving him a public vote of confidence.

Belichick does everything for a reason and I think this type of positive reinforcement that Belichick uses towards a player (who I honestly think is struggling), really helps showcase what sets Belichick apart from other coaches.

not surprised. he defended McCourty nonstop when people were calling for his head.

that got worse than peoples disdain for hightower, and hopefully ends the same way...with a stud on defense and everyone eating their foot.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Well to be fair he's also defended Maroney et al in similar fashion. He's justifiably against having players, particularly young players, being evaluated in the media, as they don't know what they're being asked to do or what injuries they're playing with etc.

not surprised. he defended McCourty nonstop when people were calling for his head.

that got worse than peoples disdain for hightower, and hopefully ends the same way...with a stud on defense and everyone eating their foot.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android
Only and idiot could not see what Mayo brought to the Patriots from day one.

I believe that Hightower has regressed in year two also, just the same as anyone else.

It also should be noted that the players on the front line aren't doing their jobs very well, and when they get tossed about like rag dolls, it allows those on the offensive line to then take on the next level; hence part of the struggles with both Spikes and Hightower (although I think we all know there are a number of things that go into their struggles).

http://nesn.com/2013/12/donta-hightowers-struggles-tied-in-to-inexperience-at-defensive-tackle-and-other-takeaways-from-patriots-texans/

I'm a huge Hightower guy, and I thought he started the year fine, but ever since mayo's injury/Jets game he's regressed. Part of it might be him playing out of position, and the injuries up front, but there have been a couple of plays where he completely blew. Namely the Geno Smith TD run, and the wacky Can Newton run, where he blew by DH, Jones, and Ninko.

I still have high hopes for DH though. Look at McCourty and his second year struggles, and look at McCourty today. Hightower, Mayo, and Collins are our future at those positions.

I'm surprised Tedy is still defending this 270 lb. rock on the field. I'll take his word and hope he "eases" into his role.

Come on. You should really know better than this.

Stop with the Mayo excuses and Hightower who was a highly touted sideline to sideline player coming out from very good Alabama Defense. The guy looks like someone said a Rock out there. Hightower has not lived up to his draft Bio. If the Jets had Drafted Hightower would we be so lenient with or to him? Call a spade a spade he is a liability who does NOTHING WELL! When Troy Brown and TY Law who were professional football players talk about Hightower they just laugh.:pound: I would take their opinions over anybody on patafans.com. I would rather see Jamie Collins than Hightower...BB made a mistake with the Fat man.

It's amazing how a guy his size could be so ineffective...I also don't count him on Defense. He doesn't even take up space Hightower = little Big man.

He's "Lost in Space". So why not put him on the line where he is a fearsome rusher? He is DE size, so I guess he should play there.

Come on. You should really know better than this.

Whether it's because Mayo's out of not, Hightower sucks right now. If it's because he's out of his comfort role or whatever, either change his role or bench him.

Stop with the Mayo excuses and Hightower who was a highly touted sideline to sideline player coming out from very good Alabama Defense. The guy looks like someone said a Rock out there. Hightower has not lived up to his draft Bio. If the Jets had Drafted Hightower would we be so lenient with or to him? Call a spade a spade he is a liability who does NOTHING WELL! When Troy Brown and TY Law who were professional football players talk about Hightower they just laugh.:pound: I would take their opinions over anybody on patafans.com. I would rather see Jamie Collins than Hightower...BB make a mistake with the Fat man.

This only demonstrates your lack of understanding in terms of how our defense works. Our defense is primarily predicated on the NT eating up two blocks, thus winning the numbers games as far as blocking. This of course is not happening with Wilfork on IR so other teams are able to get to the 2nd level of blocking with ease.

Also it goes without saying that Hightower is playing out of position. He is much better on the strong side, and he isn't an every down player that he's been forced to be, this year.

In my opinion I think we should have gone back to the 4-3 once Wilfork went out.

He's "Lost in Space". So why not put him on the line where he is a fearsome rusher? He is DE size, so I guess he should play there.

kenny there is nothing fearsome about Hightower he plays like a lirttle mouse. When was the last time hit somebody? never mind he's always out of position anyway.:rolleyes:

This only demonstrates your lack of understanding in terms of how our defense works. Our defense is primarily predicated on the NT eating up two blocks, thus winning the numbers games as far as blocking. This of course is not happening with Wilfork on IR so other teams are able to get to the 2nd level of blocking with ease.

Also it goes without saying that Hightower is playing out of position. He is much better on the strong side, and he isn't an every down player that he's been forced to be, this year.

In my opinion I think we should have gone back to the 4-3 once Wilfork went out.

That's Bull you know what so because those guys are on IR he cannot make play. When was the last time he made a positive play??? I am still waiting??? Sorry guys but I don't make Excuses for First Round Draft picks you are either Good or you Suck...Hightower is quickly becoming the latter. When you can see how in-effective a guy is on TV that says alot.:snob:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe