PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is everyone bad mouthing Dont'a Hightower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3antana5757

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I've been reading alot of posts that have had some bad things to say about Dont'a. I get that Dont'a is not the best in coverage because he is just not very fast, but he's been asked to do alot with loss of Mayo and Wilfork. I've seen him ranked very highly as a 4-3 OLB by other sites and I think he's been a pretty solid pick overall. He was extremely productive last year.

Someone care to further elaborate on him?

No awareness.. Kid is in la-la land at times..

No awareness.. Kid is in la-la land at times..

It's getting worse and worse. The D changed when fletcher was put in and he was benched. I know it's still early...but i am wondering if they wiffed on him

...because he's a 1st round pick that doesn't do anything all that well.

Fans over-react. Hightower isn't Lawrence Taylor, therefore, he's a bust...

I've been reading alot of posts that have had some bad things to say about Dont'a. I get that Dont'a is not the best in coverage because he is just not very fast, but he's been asked to do alot with loss of Mayo and Wilfork. I've seen him ranked very highly as a 4-3 OLB by other sites and I think he's been a pretty solid pick overall. He was extremely productive last year.

Hightower is a steady solid linebacker but he has not been a playmaker this season he actually has regressed as a pass rusher and he is not anything special in coverage so I think people are disappointed when you see the second year leap of players like Chandler Jones and Alfonzo Dennard compared to Hightower in year two.

To expand a bit - Hightower had 4 sacks, 6 stuffs, 2 fumble recoveries and 3 pass defends as a rookie, this season he has 1 sack, 2 stuffs, 0 fumble recoveries and 1 pass defends. His playmaking is nonexistent he does his job and makes the tackle but that’s about the extent of his game at this juncture in his career.

Comparing him to other LBs taken in 2012:

• Luke Kuechly – 11 games, 93 tackles, 1 sack, 3 interceptions, 6 pass defends and 8 stuffs.
• Donta Hightower – 11 games, 58 tackles, 1 sack, 0 forced fumbles, 0 interceptions, 1 pass defend and 2 stuffs.
• Lavonte David – 11 games, 99 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 2 interceptions, 6 pass defends and 12 stuffs.
• Zack Brown – 11 games, 64 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, 3 pass defends and 3 stuffs.
• Bobby Wagner – 9 games, 69 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, 4 pass defends and 1 stuff.
• Mychal Kendricks – 10 games, 68 tackles, 1 sack, 3 fumble recoveries, 1 interception, 1 pass defend and 3 stuffs.
• DeMario Davis – 11 games, 79 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 1 pass defend and 2 stuffs.
• Vontaze Burfict – 11 games, 118 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 interception, 6 pass defends and 7 stuffs.

When you look at the production of guys like David you cannot help but be extremely disappointed with what Hightower is giving us in terms of big plays.

Probably because one minute he looks like an All Pro and the next he looks like he should be entering a hot dog eating contest. For mine, Hightower needs to slim down a little. The Patriots need him to be a little more mobile than what he's showing. That said, I still believe he's going to be a very good player.

I'm guessing Spikes doesn't get resigned next year, and I think Hightower can step in and be much more productive playing the MLB spot then he is on the edge. It's not really fair to compare him to other guys drafted that year that are playing MLB, when Hightower is mostly playing OLB.

because he isn't playing well?

Hightower plays much better with Mayo on the field.

The game changed when Hightower came off the field and Dane Fletcher and Collins got more snaps

He was our worst starter on a top notch opening day defense. Without Mayo/Vince/etc, his mediocrity is being exposed.

I'm guessing Spikes doesn't get resigned next year, and I think Hightower can step in and be much more productive playing the MLB spot then he is on the edge.
That's the common sentiment.

The problem with that is Hightower isn't better than Spikes as a MLB. at least not in run support. His awareness is mediocre and he often overplays his assignments. Lately, I've been seeing him shooting gaps poorly and doing a lot of guessing instead of proper play recognition - which goes back to awareness & being able to read and react quickly.

He's most definitely not a space player, which is a prerequisite for a 3-down LB in today's modern NFL. Along with that, as stated above, his play as a MLB leaves a lot to be desired as well.

His best asset is his ability to shed blockers. Everything else he needs to work on, even if the Patriots do plan on moving from Spikes.

I'm wondering if we can change him to DE

All good thoughts regarding Hightower.

I think we appreciated him as a rookie last year and chalked some of his minuses and weaknesses up to the fact that it was his first year.

He's terribly slow, obviously poor in coverage, and hasn't done anything aside from acting as another body so far this year. The fact that he was selected in the first round after we moved up again to get him only makes things magnified.

I don't understand why so many think Spikes is likely to be released and is easily replaced. To me he is an excellent player that brings unique ability to the defense in terms of penetration and stopping the run. He is not the type of player that you can just plug in anyone for and I would be surprised if the team didn't sign him without a viable replacement. He is certainly a better player than Hightower.

New England Patriots Mailbag -- Plenty to be thankful for - ESPN Boston
Q. Do you agree that Donta Hightower doesn't have a clue as to what to do when he is on the field? There was a marked difference when Dane Fletcher came onto the field. -- Kris (Coventry, R.I.)

A. Kris, I think we've seen Hightower have some very good games (Steelers) and some games at the opposite end of the spectrum (Broncos). I think injury/health might have had something to do with it on Sunday night. With a versatile player who can do as many things as he can, sometimes a sacrifice is made for the team, even though it doesn't always put the player in position to do what he does best. I think there is also some of that dynamic in play with Hightower, who reminds me a bit of Mike Vrabel in that regard.

Comparing him to other LBs taken in 2012:

• Luke Kuechly – 11 games, 93 tackles, 1 sack, 3 interceptions, 6 pass defends and 8 stuffs.
• Donta Hightower – 11 games, 58 tackles, 1 sack, 0 forced fumbles, 0 interceptions, 1 pass defend and 2 stuffs.
• Lavonte David – 11 games, 99 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 2 interceptions, 6 pass defends and 12 stuffs.
• Zack Brown – 11 games, 64 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, 3 pass defends and 3 stuffs.
• Bobby Wagner – 9 games, 69 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, 4 pass defends and 1 stuff.
• Mychal Kendricks – 10 games, 68 tackles, 1 sack, 3 fumble recoveries, 1 interception, 1 pass defend and 3 stuffs.
• DeMario Davis – 11 games, 79 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 1 pass defend and 2 stuffs.
• Vontaze Burfict – 11 games, 118 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 interception, 6 pass defends and 7 stuffs.

When you look at the production of guys like David you cannot help but be extremely disappointed with what Hightower is giving us in terms of big plays.

Except for Kuechly, who was drafted ahead of him, I would trade Hightower for any one
of the above LBs drafted behind him, right now, even up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe