PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is everyone bad mouthing Dont'a Hightower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hightower looks slow and lost. He had a couple terrible plays in the Panthers game that cost the team a huge chunk of yards. It's not getting better. They may have to rethink the expectations when it comes to him. I don't think he can be a every down player.

Do you guys think we might cut or trade him next season?

Hightower looks slow and lost. He had a couple terrible plays in the Panthers game that cost the team a huge chunk of yards. It's not getting better. They may have to rethink the expectations when it comes to him. I don't think he can be a every down player.

At this point i would rather have him not play..but they are running out of bodies

Do you guys think we might cut or trade him next season?

I personally do not think there's much of a chance of that happening for several reasons:

1. I don't believe that they'd give up on him that quickly. We've seen them hold on to players who have produced much less than Hightower has, for longer periods of time prior to moving on. He definitely seems to have regressed this season, but that doesn't mean that they are ready to throw the towel in already; especially on a cheap rookie deal. Shawn Crable, Jermaine Cunningham, Ron Brace, and Ras-I-Dowling all come to mind as guys who weren't as effective as Hightower, yet got time to try and develop. The fact that he costs practically nothing and is a first round pick who did show some good things at times will certainly be brought into the equation.

2. He may be in store for a change of positions. That could be better or worse, but until it happens they team won't know. Belichick may view him as more useful in the MLB role next season, or he could even add/lose some weight depending on what they wish him to do.

3. Trade value in the NFL is so overvalued it's not even funny. Unless they'd be willing to take an enormous hit from moving up in the first round down to somewhere in the fourth round or so, this can't even be considered. No team is going to give up anything higher than a 4th, and his cheap rookie deal and knowledge of the system here likely make him at least worth a backup role at the very least/worst case scenario.

4. The entire position of LB has some uncertainty to it with the situations of Spikes and Fletcher approaching free agency. 2014 would probably not be the appropriate time to take a gamble like that, even IF they'd be willing to give up on him after only 2 years (which they wouldn't).

He should be a 43 de.

He should be a 43 de.

I agree. I have for a long time, since his college days, thought that he is extremely similar to ninkovich. A rush end who occasionally drops into coverage is where I see him ultimately going.

Fans need somebody to hate on, it is a typical Patriots fan mentality. If a guy isn't an all-pro, he could incur the wrath of the spoiled Patriots fan.

Hightower isn't playing well consistently, people see that and get all angry. He will be fine though.

As for Spikes, he adds a dimension to the defense that no other player can add, to not resign him would be a mistake IMO.

I don't understand why so many think Spikes is likely to be released and is easily replaced. To me he is an excellent player that brings unique ability to the defense in terms of penetration and stopping the run. He is not the type of player that you can just plug in anyone for and I would be surprised if the team didn't sign him without a viable replacement. He is certainly a better player than Hightower.

Consider this: BB makes Spikes a sizable offer with enough $$$ to entice him to sign it. After Spikes signs it, BB whips out his Bank of NFL issued credit card, gives it to some kid who takes it to the back to run it through the card reader (to pay for Spikes contract). It's going to be damn embarrassing for BB when the kid comes back and says in a low volume "gee sir, I'm real real real sorry about this but your card was denied".
Seriously, I could take a shot at remembering the list of players that need re-signing (for example Talib) but I would likely get it wrong this many drinks into the evening. At this point, I believe, his re-signing is not about Spikes being a substandard player. This is about not having the available cap as well as his skills having overlap with players who will be on the 2014 roster.

I've been reading alot of posts that have had some bad things to say about Dont'a. I get that Dont'a is not the best in coverage because he is just not very fast, but he's been asked to do alot with loss of Mayo and Wilfork. I've seen him ranked very highly as a 4-3 OLB by other sites and I think he's been a pretty solid pick overall. He was extremely productive last year.

Someone care to further elaborate on him?

Because Pats fans are never happy unless all of our players are playing to an All-Pro level of football :rolleyes:

I think the Denver game has brought out a lot of critics but I think they need to remember that I don't think anyone along that front 7 played a remotely good game against the run.

Of course he isn't as good as Mayo and Spikes is arguably one of the best run stuffers in the league...so he probably won't ever live up to those guys. But he's a guy who can compete for a starting role and have an impact...a solid player.

I think the first round was a bit of a reach...there was a lot of hype about players coming out of that 'Bama defence and people reached on their players a little, but how's that his fault???

I'm happy with him.

Dane Fletcher should be competing for reps against him. I think a lot of people forget that before his couple of injuries, there was talk of him being a starter for us. He was playing out of his skin. Sunday we saw glimpses of that player once again and competition at that position is great to see.

I've been reading alot of posts that have had some bad things to say about Dont'a. I get that Dont'a is not the best in coverage because he is just not very fast, but he's been asked to do alot with loss of Mayo and Wilfork. I've seen him ranked very highly as a 4-3 OLB by other sites and I think he's been a pretty solid pick overall. He was extremely productive last year.

Someone care to further elaborate on him?
Its part of an annual ritual where in someone picks a particular player that may have had a bad game and posts that they stink, and can no longer play. Soon it becomes like a feeding frenzy with other members jumping in to say that ...yeah the guy stinks, hes a bust. Hightower should feel good, the list from past years is long and distinguished. Brady, Mayo Gronk, Edelman, Spikes to name a few of the past rescipients. Ninko missed a tackle on J Best in a miami game a few years back, the response response was epic. He was suddenly the worst OLB in the league, even though he had an INT, a fumble recovery, and a sack or two in the same game. I think they're inherently Red Sox fans

Only a year ago went he was drafted i seem to remember that he was called a freak because of his size and speed. It wasn't to often that you had a player that weighed 270 lbs with his speed. Maybe he gained wgt, or is hurt i don't know. But i doubt he lost that much speed in a year without gaining wgt, or being injured. I could see him moving to LDE if he has trouble keeping the wgt. off.

I still have hope for Hightower for the fact if BB trades UP for a LB, he must know what he's doing. BB, a defensive genius, knows what makes the centerpiece of a defense (LB), successful.

I just still can't believe BB didn't think David was the better FOOTBALL PLAYER though. BB went with the height/weight/speed guy over the better football player.....Then to make it worse, BB goes for need over BPA. There was no way BB thought Tavon Wilson was a better player available than Lavonte David, I choose not to believe that.

Its part of an annual ritual where in someone picks a particular player that may have had a bad game and posts that they stink, and can no longer play. Soon it becomes like a feeding frenzy with other members jumping in to say that ...yeah the guy stinks, hes a bust. Hightower should feel good, the list from past years is long and distinguished. Brady, Mayo Gronk, Edelman, Spikes to name a few of the past rescipients. Ninko missed a tackle on J Best in a miami game a few years back, the response response was epic. He was suddenly the worst OLB in the league, even though he had an INT, a fumble recovery, and a sack or two in the same game. I think they're inherently Red Sox fans

Yeah, it's kind of funny the guy who started the "Is Ninkovich the worst starter in the NFL" thread has the chutzpah to post in this thread. Short memory, I guess. Oh, and then you have captain_hindsight going out on his usual limb and making the incisive observation that sometimes other teams find better players in the draft after the Patriots do.

Hightower has been wildly inconsistent this season and has been poor at times. To my eyes he also played much better when Mayo was healthy and lining up next to him. I suspect there's a reason for that.

I still have hope for Hightower for the fact if BB trades UP for a LB, he must know what he's doing. BB, a defensive genius, knows what makes the centerpiece of a defense (LB), successful.

I just still can't believe BB didn't think David was the better FOOTBALL PLAYER though. BB went with the height/weight/speed guy over the better football player.....Then to make it worse, BB goes for need over BPA. There was no way BB thought Tavon Wilson was a better player available than Lavonte David, I choose not to believe that.

..............and who exactly is Lavonte David?

Seriously,where did this come from?

Fans need somebody to hate on, it is a typical Patriots fan mentality. If a guy isn't an all-pro, he could incur the wrath of the spoiled Patriots fan.

Hightower isn't playing well consistently, people see that and get all angry. He will be fine though.

As for Spikes, he adds a dimension to the defense that no other player can add, to not resign him would be a mistake IMO.

Everything you said is exactly how I feel. Until everyone on the team is an all-pro people will still be *****ing. People would be creaming their pants at the idea of Hightower and Gregory if we were back in the days of Sergio Brown and Gary Guyton.

..............and who exactly is Lavonte David?

Seriously,where did this come from?

He's one of the best 4-3 OLBs in the league, taken after Hightower and Wilson. He was a late 1st LB but fell due to size nonsense. He had the best film out of any ILB/OLB besides Kuechly. He was a forum favorite too.

He's one of the best 4-3 OLBs in the league, taken after Hightower and Wilson. He was a late 1st LB but fell due to size nonsense. He had the best film out of any ILB/OLB besides Kuechly. He was a forum favorite too.

Thanks

Obviously, he's so great.......I've never heard of him.

Seriously, where does this come from?

Thanks

Obviously, he's so great.......I've never heard of him.

Seriously, where does this come from?

Lavonte David named NFC defensive player of the week | ProFootballTalk

David was named NFC defensive player of the week after a monster game against the Lions, the latest in a string of strong performances. He’s played well enough lately his game-killing penalty against the Jets in the opener is nearly forgotten.

David had 12 tackles, an interception, a forced fumble and a pass defensed against the Lions.

He has 5.0 sacks and two interceptions on the season, making him one of just six players in franchise history to post those totals in a season (along with defensive end Gaines Adams, cornerback Ronde Barber, defensive end Simeon Rice, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and linebacker Broderick Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe