PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is everyone bad mouthing Dont'a Hightower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
............and Tampa Bay got blown out.

When they start labeling players Franchise Linebackers and drafting middle and off the line of scrimmage linebackers #1 overall like they do for players like Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, etc. I will begin taking the win/loss record into account a lot more when judging the performance of linebackers.

Imagine how bad Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson and Willie McGinest were at linebacker back in 2000 when we went 5-11 they must have sucked.

When they start labeling players Franchise Linebackers and drafting middle and off the line of scrimmage linebackers #1 overall like they do for players like Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, etc. I will begin taking the win/loss record into account a lot more when judging the performance of linebackers.

Imagine how bad Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson and Willie McGinest were at linebacker back in 2000 when we went 5-11 they must have sucked.

All three of them went to the Super Bowl in 1996-7

NFL teams are discovering that Alabama players come with high miles and are beat up when they hit the NFL draft.

How many true NFL studs can you name that played for Bama and were high picks?

Julio Jones. Maybe Eddy Lacy.

Trent Richardson? No. Javier Arenas? No. Terrence Cody? No. Mark Ingram? No. Dee Milner sucks at this minute.

All three of them went to the Super Bowl in 1996-7

Just talking about 2000 Ray, Ray – who knows David could win 3 SB before his career is over doesn’t matter because apparently this year he sucks cause Tampa lost to the Panthers 31-13 :confused2:

NFL teams are discovering that Alabama players come with high miles and are beat up when they hit the NFL draft.

Trent Richardson? No. Javier Arenas? No. Terrence Cody? No. Mark Ingram? No. Dee Milner sucks at this minute.

Mark Barron has been very good. Marcel Dareus has been very good. James Carpenter is good. Andre Smith is good.

People look at the big name guy, really at RB and say that they aren't very good. That's where the high mileage comes into play and they take a big beating for a number of years and run behind a VERY good offensive line. I wouldn't want TJ Yeldon in an upcoming draft.

Just talking about 2000 Ray, Ray – who knows David could win 3 SB before his career is over doesn’t matter because apparently this year he sucks cause Tampa lost to the Panthers 31-13 :confused2:

And I could still be President. You cherry picked one year between a Super Bowl appearance and an incredibly successful run for up to ten more years.

Whether or not he wins three Super bowls, he's still way too small to play anything but safety/LB hybrid on this team.

How do football players get more mileage at Bama? Dee Milner sucks because Saban had him do too many laps after practice?

As a rule I bad mouth as many players as I can. It's inevitable they will all get old and be out of the NFL so I always end up right.

At this point, your best bet is to check in on ESPN Boston this morning and read the post on Hightower.

In the words of Don Corleone....you should not talk when you should be listening.

What do the records of the teams even matter? Last game the NE D played better with Hightower out of the starting lineup for christ's sake so let's make the 8-3 sound a little bit less about him.

You should also check out ESPN Boston this morning.

Not a bad idea to read what's obviously obvious.

In the future, you should also cut down on the talk when you should be listening.

Could you guys quit quoting pfip. I have him on ignore for a reason and I really don't feel like losing anymore brain cells from reading his brain dead posts. Thanks.

As for Hightower, he's being asked to do things that he isn't meant to do and isn't suited for in Mayo's absence. He's fine when he's in the correct role, though I would love to have Lavonte David. That play against the Jets was a horrible call.

BTW, great call pre-game on defending Denver.

Only a real Einstein could have come up with that strategy.

How did you become such a patsfans.com treasure?

Quick-hit thoughts around New England Patriots & NFL - ESPN Boston

1a. Losing linebacker Jerod Mayo to a season-ending torn pectoral muscle on Oct. 13 has forced the Patriots' other linebackers into roles and situations that aren’t always a perfect fit for their skill set. Arguably no one has been affected more than 2012 first-round draft choice Dont'a Hightower, who has been asked to do more and most recently ran into some struggles in pass coverage against the Broncos that contributed (but weren’t the only reason) to him being replaced by Dane Fletcher for the second half and overtime. While some might be wondering if Hightower is regressing, the view from here is different. It’s rare to see a player his size (6-foot-3, 268) asked to cover regularly down the field, but similar to Mike Vrabel when he once moved to inside linebacker because the team had injury issues, Hightower is often carrying out a role for the betterment of the team that doesn’t necessarily tap his best assets (size, physicality). My view is that those are the types of team players Bill Belichick wants to have around.

1b. I specifically asked Hightower about his work in coverage, pointing out some games where it was particularly solid (Steelers) and others where he had acknowledged himself that he could have executed better (third-and-20 versus the Denver Broncos). The context of the discussion was about the uniqueness of a player his size carrying out that role, as he might be utilized as more of a defensive end in some NFL schemes. If there was ever any question, he made it clear that he isn’t overweight. “Right now I’m at 268. Not exactly 270. I’m moving [in coverage] -- I’ve done it in college and I’m doing it here. Bill set my weight at 270. I’m at my weight. So as long as he’s good with it, I’m good with it. If he has any changes in mind, I will drop down.”

And I could still be President. You cherry picked one year between a Super Bowl appearance and an incredibly successful run for up to ten more years.

Ray, Ray I was joking around my man!! You’re going to give yourself an ulcer being so serious all the time

Whether or not he wins three Super bowls, he's still way too small to play anything but safety/LB hybrid on this team.

He is a little more than a half inch shorter and nine pounds lighter than Jerod Mayo he would be fine.

Mayo
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6012
Weight: 242
40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.50
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 09'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.29
3-Cone Drill: 7.31

David
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6005
Weight: 233
40 Yrd Dash: 4.57
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22
3-Cone Drill: 7.28

At this point, your best bet is to check in on ESPN Boston this morning and read the post on Hightower.

In the words of Don Corleone....you should not talk when you should be listening.

You should scroll back through my posts in this thread, I have said several times that Hightower is being misused and belongs at either the 4-3 SAM or 3-4 SOLB position where he is either at or around the line of scrimmage. I agree with the blog on ESPN Boston, however David is still a phenomenal player either way and at this stage playing at a higher level than Hightower.

Why is it he seems to be going through the motions like I will be doing Monday with my belly hanging over my belt? Lackadaisical comes to mind when I see him out on pass coverage.

Spikes is almost as slow as the shadow of a sundial, but at least I seem him putting out effort. And he's got zing in his pants on running plays.

Hightower, whom I had high hopes for, reminds me of Kenneth Sims. Big time size and talent just sleepwalking on the field. Wait for his contract year for him to make plays all over the field.

Put in Collins or Fletcher more. I think Belichick will. Like last week.

he was great today :bricks:

Hightower had the most tackles on the team, including a TFL. I wonder, first off,how healthy Spikes is and if they were experimenting with different 3-4, 4-3 looks today. Reiss listed Collins as the starter today and he had one tackle, as did Fletcher.

Hightower doesn't play on the line (as far as I know) and certainly doesn't play tackle. On some of those runs, there was just an empty parking lot worth of space next to hightower. He was engaged on the other side, but shouldn't we wonder who wasn't there?

Hightower just edged out McCourty for tackles, but he still trails Spikes this season by over ten.

Reiss rightfully has Hightower and the run defense--they ran a surprisingly amount of 3-4--as the fallers in the Texas game, along with Arrington, who had that one pitiful play that Dierdorf ragged on him for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe