PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does BB miss on so many mid round WRs ?

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Been watching the Bengals destroy the Jets, and the receiver killing them isn't AJ Green, it's Marvin Jones, who I believe was a 3rd round pick whom a lot of people here liked predraft. Then there is T.Y. Hilton whom the Colts got in the 3rd or 4th round last year. I'm sure there are others. Now look at our 4th round receiver, he can't even get into games, he's behind an undrafted free agent and a signee off the street with concussion issues.

Been watching the Bengals destroy the Jets, and the receiver killing them isn't AJ Green, it's Marvin Jones, who I believe was a 3rd round pick whom a lot of people here liked predraft. Then there is T.Y. Hilton whom the Colts got in the 3rd or 4th round last year. I'm sure there are others. Now look at our 4th round receiver, he can't even get into games, he's behind an undrafted free agent and a signee off the street with concussion issues.

If you asked me about Marvin Jones about 4PM today, I would have said "who cares about Marvin Jones? He is mediocre at best.". Having a career game doesn't change the fact that in his first year and a half, he has been nothing but a mediocre WR.

Last year, Jones had 201 yards and TD. This year up to today, he had 247 yards and 3 TDs. Kembrell Thompkins came into today with 334 yards and 4 TDs.

Nothing like taking one game against a horrible secondary and make it a statement of the entire career of a WR.

Patriots fans would have given up on Marvin Jones long before today if he had the same production that he did with the Bengals.

Because everybody misses a lot on WRs?

If you asked me about Marvin Jones about 4PM today, I would have said "who cares about Marvin Jones? He is mediocre at best.". Having a career game doesn't change the fact that in his first year and a half, he has been nothing but a mediocre WR.

Last year, Jones had 201 yards and TD. This year up to today, he had 247 yards and 3 TDs. Kembrell Thompkins came into today with 334 yards and 4 TDs.

Nothing like taking one game against a horrible secondary and make it a statement of the entire career of a WR.

His production is a lot better than Boyce's. Also I noticed you completely ignored TY Hilton. And if the Jets secondary is so bad, why didn't the Pats tear them up ?

Add to that Aaron Dobson this year also has exceed Jones' production, excluding the big performance today.

His production is a lot better than Boyce's. Also I noticed you completely ignored TY Hilton. And if the Jets secondary is so bad, why didn't the Pats tear them up ?

I didn't ignore Hilton at all. He is a very good WR. But a lot of teams missed on Hilton.

Marvin Jones is not. Watching him prompted to start this thread.

Boyce was a fourth round rookie. At this point in his rookie year, Marvin Jones had 4 catches for 25 yards. Yet Boyce is a bust and Jones is a guy Belichick missed on.

I didn't ignore Hilton at all. He is a very good WR. But a lot of teams missed on Hilton.

Marvin Jones is not. Watching him prompted to start this thread.

Boyce was a fourth round rookie. At this point in his rookie year, Marvin Jones had 4 catches for 25 yards. Yet Boyce is a bust and Jones is a guy Belichick missed on.

If you're a 4th round pick and can't beat out an undrafted free agent, and a street free agent with an egg shell for a skull who comes in after week 5, yeah maybe not a bust but certainly a disappointment. Hell he can't even get into games as a return man over our 250 pound straight line return man. Marvin Jones showed flashes last season as a rookie receiver.

If you're a 4th round pick and can't beat out an undrafted free agent, and a street free agent with an egg shell for a skull who comes in after week 5, yeah maybe not a bust but certainly a disappointment. Hell he can't even get into games as a return man over our 250 pound straight line return man. Marvin Jones showed flashes last season as a rookie receiver.

LOL! So your agenda is showing.

You do realize that Marvin Jones was a healthy scratch for most of the month of November and rarely saw the field. He had four games in his first six where he didn't even get a catch. He had one game where he caught for more than 50 yards (65 yards vs. Steelers).

Jones only flashed as being a waste of a draft pick until December. And even then, he flashed as a disappointing draft pick for his rookie season.

Boyce was injured and missed time at OTA, which gave Thompkins the chance to shine and beat him out.

Is it really surprising that a WR that went undrafted due to a colorful past could beat out a 4th round draft pick who missed time due to injury?

As for Collie, would you really want Brady throwing to 3 rookie WRs?

LOL! So your agenda is showing.

You do realize that Marvin Jones was a healthy scratch for most of the month of November and rarely saw the field. He had four games in his first six where he didn't even get a catch. He had one game where he caught for more than 50 yards (65 yards vs. Steelers).

Jones only flashed as being a waste of a draft pick until December. And even then, he flashed as a disappointing draft pick for his rookie season.

It's not an agenda, I'm not saying BB is terrible at drafting. I'm just wondering when I see productive college players become successful in the NFL that are drafted in the mid round, can't be found by BB ? There were a lot of people who liked Jones as a mid round pick for the Pats, and TY Hilton was a perfect slot WR/return man that would have been a very good pick for the Pats. Meanwhile, we are struggling all season in the pass game. Don't get me wrong, I love Dobson as a prospect, I've been one of his biggest defenders here, I loved Thompkins game winning catch against the Saints, these guys may become really good receivers. Boyce, I have no idea. If I was in his shoes, I'd be begging BB everyday to get in there as a kick returner. He has great speed.

Every team misses on picks. I don't think the Pats are materially worse. They've had 1st/2nd round flops (Chad Jackson) and 7th round steals (Givens, Edelman). The draft is an inexact science; if it weren't, Aaron Rodgers would not have gone 20+ picks later than Alex Smith.

FWIW, I think we hit on a midround WR pick this year - Aaron Dobson is turning into a quality target for Brady.

Kenny Stills is another one, great 5th round pick by the Saints. Looks like he's gonna be a good deep threat.

OT: Why does BB miss on so many mid round WRs ?

So we draft a stud in Dobson and your making this? Dobson has been what we needed. And if Tom would look his way more and not have a bum hand, he would have better numbers already. I can't believe thompkins is fading away in the offense.

Every team misses on picks. I don't think the Pats are materially worse. They've had 1st/2nd round flops (Chad Jackson) and 7th round steals (Givens, Edelman). The draft is an inexact science; if it weren't, Aaron Rodgers would not have gone 20+ picks later than Alex Smith.

FWIW, I think we hit on a midround WR pick this year - Aaron Dobson is turning into a quality target for Brady.

I wouldn't call a 2nd round pick a mid round pick. But I do love Dobson's potential, very exciting. Looks like Brady is starting to trust him more. He's had back to back better weeks than Thompkins. In fact the last 3 games he's caught 13 for 154 yds and 1 TD vs 5 for 61 yds and 1 TD for Thompkins.

Kenny Stills is another one, great 5th round pick by the Saints. Looks like he's gonna be a good deep threat.

Why haven't you mentioned Markus Wheaton? Or Marquise Goodwin? Or Stedman Bailey? Or Ace Sanders? Or Chris Harper? Or Quinton Patton? Or Tavarres King?

Shall we go back to last year?

Why haven't you mentioned DeVier Posey? Or TJ Graham? Or Chris Givens? Or Travis Benjamin? Or Joe Adams? Or Devon Wylie? Or Jairus Wright? Or Keshawn Martin? Or Nick Toon? Or Greg Childs? Or Danny Coale? Or Juron Criner?

I think you get my point......

This perennial subject of the Pats' total inability to draft WRs is right up there with that other favorite, the way they invariably whiff on mid-round DBs. And then this year BB compounded that with his inexcusable Rutgers fetish!

Hands up: who is still fuming that they threw away a 3rd & 4th on worthless Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon?

Here's a crazy hypothesis. There's a lot of randomness in the draft. Tons and tons of it. Each front office has a baseline level of competence, but individual draft picks form a diffuse cloud around that median point. And given the way randomness works, some position is likely to end up looking weak in a series of draft picks, and some other position looking strong. By pure chance.

Remember, before the Mayo-Spikes-Hightower string we all KNEW that the Patriots couldn't draft linebackers. And before Gronkowski and He-who-shall-not-be-named we all laughed at BB's obsession with the TE position, which clearly wasn't worth it.

Draft picks are individual players. Individual players vary.

Last edited:
It is pretty well established that BB sucks at picking WRs, but the question is why. I think the answer is that he is always looking for super boy scouts, but the best WRs are usually prima donnas or worse.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back