PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do you hate the Colts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In defense of Tony Dungy, I once met the guy and got to talk football with him for several minutes.

He is a sincerely decent man who when given the chance to talk about my beloved Patriots...had nothing but good things to say about them. It wasn't just "Blah blah, theyre a great team"...It was honest assesments on his part that were praise for the the team and the organization.

Maybe his comment about spygate being "A dark day in the NFL" was more along the lines of....Damn, now none of us can film the other teams without a huge repercussion if we are caught.

This may not sway most of you, but if a few out there give him the benefit of doubt, he is a decent guy.

Nice to see another perspective. Many of us Pats fans (self included) over react a bit to the sanctimonious side and from listening to the unending prasie by sports pundits. Good to see there's a there there. Along those lines Rodney & Dungy seem to have a positive chemistry and actually like each other. That's good enough for me.

Oh, and this Peyton has figured out the Pats crap:
2008: Matt Cassel... seriously.
2007: What was figured out? That Rosey got yer ass, and they blew a 10 pt lead.
2006: Gimme a friggen break, the playoff game was stolen.
The reg season game was a win, as Brady threw 4 picks.
2005: Iirc, that was the most depleted I can ever remember seeing the Pats in terms of injuries. You would of thought it was a flippin coronation after the Dolts won that game.

Excuses. Doan't want no steenkin' excuses after Sunday night's game.

I don't hate the Colts. I don't "hate" any NFL team.

The Colts, though, are pretty far up my list of teams that I really dislike. I dislike them because I just don't like the culture of the team. Dungey, an otherwise great HC, was unctuously "holier than thou." It's probably my Northeastern difficulty in relating to a guy with deep South roots, but I just can't relate to Peyton Manning, whom I still recognize as a great QB; however, he's reflective of the persona of much of the rest of the country and plays well there. Polian is just too transparently self-serving in his dealings with the rest of the league.

This is also a small market team that depends on the cap to remain competitive with teams like the Pats. This is aggravated by the fact that $600,000,000 of the cost of their new stadium was generated by public funds, resulting in local tax increases (Gillette was privately financed by the Krafts). They're better on this score than the Browns and Bills, since they did sell the naming rights to their stadium.

Last edited:
In defense of Tony Dungy, I once met the guy and got to talk football with him for several minutes.

He is a sincerely decent man who when given the chance to talk about my beloved Patriots...had nothing but good things to say about them. It wasn't just "Blah blah, theyre a great team"...It was honest assesments on his part that were praise for the the team and the organization.

Maybe his comment about spygate being "A dark day in the NFL" was more along the lines of....Damn, now none of us can film the other teams without a huge repercussion if we are caught.

This may not sway most of you, but if a few out there give him the benefit of doubt, he is a decent guy.

I'm happy to hear that. I will admit that I've started to open my mind towards him since he's been doing his tag team thing with Rodney. But, I just always found him to be too holier-than-thou and his spygate comment put him in my doghouse; we were down and he kicked...I just didn't like that. In his defense, I think he got treated badly in Tampa and that Jon Gruden's SB ring should have an asterisk on it.

"I absolutely CANNOT STAND the sound of their radio play-by-play announcer's voice."

this. easily the most annoying announcer in football

I was just watching the 2004 Divisional Playoff game last night on 3 Games to Glory III and when the referees penalize the Colts for Manning not being set during the direct snap to James, the announcer starts whining and almost crying. It's extremely funny and insanely annoying all at the same time. He's easily the worst radio announcer I've ever heard. He sounds like some kind of goofy voice from a kid's cartoon or something.

I don't hate the Colts, I hate the Jets, Giants, Chargers and Favre much much more!!!

My hate runs deep it goes back to 1975 when the then Baltimore Colts tanked a game to with the Patriots so they could make the playoffs. If the Colts lost they were in the playoffs if they won the Patriots were in. To those not old enough to remember it may sound confusing, thats why the nfl made a rule that this situation couldn't happen again.

The Irsay's moved the team to Indy i never thought that was right.

Recently, the colts are always portraited as the good guys by the media while the Pats the bad.

The constant ball washing by the national media.

Polian and his whining.

Manning an his whining.

Dungy going out of his way to trash BB over spy gate. Dungy didn't have to say anything but he did.

So part of your hate for a team is the National media's fault?

dungy also said it was "a dark day for the nfl" or something like that after the spygate story broke. bill polian has insulted the patriots before and some of the colts players have trash talked the pats in the press.

It was a dark day for the NFL.

The thing you have to take into account here, Guys who come and bs on NFL message boards understand what happened, it was wrong he was punished and it should be over.

The dark day for the NFL was, one of the great success stories, The Patriots, are now tainted to the casual fan who just hears cheating and "spygate". When the NFL is trying to continue to grow and one of your poster franchises is tagged for cheating it hurts.

I will say that I shouldn't hate the Colts. I love football and they do play good football. I also respect them and I think that year in and year out they do a good job in drafting and bringing in players.

But, that's as far as I go. Behind the Giants and Jets, I hate the Colts next.

I guess that it goes back to their whining all the time. Then there is Polian. And they play indoors, now in a place I call The Lube. And then there is the media who every year over rates them and ball washes them all the time.

These sum up my feelings exactly. I do respect the Colts a lot. There's really only two teams in the NFL I respect in fact: the Patriots & the Colts. And there's only one team year in and year out that as a Patriot fan that I fear - the Colts. (Sorry, Steelers fans, you guys aren't on our radar on either count...)

But I do find the Colts generally pretty unlikable. Peyton whines, he's a bad teammate, he comes from an annoying family, he's paid too much, he's in too many commercials, he chokes in the big games. Polian, of course, is pretty loathsome in every regard. Dungy's holier-than-thou attitude was enough to make one gag, especially when he'd turn around and spread discrimination against gays and other stuff along those lines. The defection of Vina-traitor only increased the general dislike of the Colts. Plus, Manning just comes off as a redneck hick. No offense to rednecks or hicks, but as someone above said, as someone who has lived in NE his entire life, I don't find the Manning goober-act as charming as the rest of the country.

All-in-all, I just don't like these guys. But I do respect them a lot. Peyton is the 2nd best QB of this generation, and the Colts are the 2nd best run organization of this generation. It's hard not to respect them.

Last edited:
there is only one team i hate the jets

i dont even think the colts are the pats bigest rival

i think the steelers are

i think every one hate's the colts because for all dose year's payton would put up big number's win MVP's and go to pro bowls

and all brady would do is win SB's lol with out puting up big number's so colts fans would say payton is the better QB and tom only wins cause of hes team and any QB can win with that team

so i think there is more hate for the colts fans then the colts

i think the colts have more of a reason to hate the pats they knocked them out of the playoff's like 3 times the colts only beat the pats one time in the playoff's

Last edited:
This was it for me. I grew up a Baltimore Colts fan and Bob irsay was a true louse. But now he's dead and Jimmy Irsay seems like a decent guy. So now I don't hate them but I still hope for them to lose every game. Which doesn't work out so well for me.

Movie "Diner", that was my family. Season ticket holder for the Colts from the day they arrived to the day they left, through good times and bad. Other than when my brother died, it was the only time I saw my dad cry. I will NEVER forgive the Irsay's for that. I don't have any respect for anyone associated with that organization!!

Why do I hate the Colts?

The date: May 3, 1974. I go out to the stable to feed the young colt "Lucky", with a bucket of oats. I take several steps towards Lucky. Lucky becomes spooked, and lets off a kick to my groinal region, that still gives my night sweats.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
So part of your hate for a team is the National media's fault?
Why not its only a game, i'm pretty sure the hate for the pats has to do with there success and fans across the country getting sick of having to listen about it.

Its irrational on my part i know, so take it as a complement. I get sick of hearing about Peyton and the Colts, they're portraited as the good guys, a foil to the bad Patriots.

Who said the hate had to be rational.

Last edited:
I like gomer and think the organization is pretty classy. Hatred in my heart must be reserved for the jets and only the jets ;)

I'd put up a poll but many people have different reasons to hate the Colts.

I will say that I shouldn't hate the Colts. I love football and they do play good football. I also respect them and I think that year in and year out they do a good job in drafting and bringing in players.

But, that's as far as I go. Behind the Giants and Jets, I hate the Colts next.

I guess that it goes back to their whining all the time. Then there is Polian. And they play indoors, now in a place I call The Lube. And then there is the media who every year over rates them and ball washes them all the time.

And their one SB came to them because of a cheap shot by Bobby Wade and the flu. Then they get to play against the worst QB ever to play in a SB and get it handed to them.

I have more reasons but I don't want this to be a rant.

Why do you hate the Colts?

Gee, this post is kinda strange if you ask me. I was browsing on a Colt Forum and found an exact type of thread except it was about hating the Patriots.
Here's a poster's view as to why we should hate the Patriots,

"The Most Hated Franchise in the History of Pro Sports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New England Patriots are the easiest team to hate in the entire sporting world. Regardless of who you cheer for, regardless of who is in your team's division, regardless of what sport you follow, Bill Belichick's squad is the obvious villain.

Now, a few years ago, the New York Yankees may have held this award. They are the most successful franchise in all of sports and they have sustained their high level of play for better than a century. The Bronx Bombers, however, have never been convicted of breaking the rules to attain their victories. Therein lies the Patriots' stake to this property. They are good, they are a perennial powerhouse, and they are convicted cheaters. The Yankees could win the next 5 World Series' and spew hate speech and racial bigotry every step of the way and still not reach the universal bad guy status that the Patriots have landed upon.

During the Patriots' three Super Bowl runs- in 2001, 2003, and 2004, they totaled 9 playoff wins before getting found out in 2006 for illegal spying. Add their one playoff win in 2005, and you've got eight franchises- the Raiders, Steelers (twice), Rams, Titans, Colts (twice), Panthers, Jaguars, and Eagles- that had their season ended by a Patriots team that was breaking the rules. That's 8 entire cities full of people that have good reason to believe that they were cheated out of a football season.

Then, you've got the individuals. Tom Brady's brash arrogance, designer scarves, and roughing the passer demands. Rodney Harrison's dirty hits, personal fouls, and positive HGH test. Randy Moss and his poor work ethic, refusals to run routes or block when he's not the primary receiver, and the way he quit on the Raiders to join the Patriots. Wes Welker and his sharp, inbred rat-like features and laughable on-field trash talking. The list goes on and on with none being worse as the head coach himself, who may be the most immature loser in the history of professional sports.

Indeed, the Patriots are an easy bunch to dislike. Not unlike the Nazis in World War II Germany, the Patriots are the type of villains that can bring the rest of the entire world together in united disdain. Just like in the movies and in real life wars, the villain sometimes wins the battle, which is precisely what perpetuates their villainous status. The fact that we can take refuge in is that they cannot ultimately win the war, for history, particularly sports history, remembers failures and dishonestly even more than it remembers successes. Shoeless Joe Jackson is not remembered for his slugging percentage, he is remembered for throwing the 1919 World Series. Mike Tyson is not rememberd as the youngest Heavyweight Champion, he is remembered for being convicted of rape and for having bitten Evander Holyfield during a fight. Not many people know what year Tonya Harding won the US Figure Skating Championship, but everyone knows what her goons did to Nancy Kerrigan's knees.

So, this Sunday, as the world tunes in to watch Peyton vs Brady in the latest battle of good vs evil, just remember that Peyton and the Colts have already won. No victory, not even 10 more last-minute AFC Championship victories over the Patriots, is as good as the whole world knowing that in the history of this rivalry, although the momentum has gone back and forth more than a few times, one of the two teams cheated. And it wasn't the Colts.

My, this could get ugly but remember, this was not my post.
Only question remains is: Who believes one side or the other the most?
Myself, I just look forward to another graet nail biting game with the leagues two best QB's that ever played the position. The only thing Manning has over Brady is, he has complete freedom to call his own game which makes him the truer Field General of the Two but both perform extremely well and both are very dangerous gunslingers.

This article best explains why I hate the Patriots.

96-Percent of Boston Sports Fans Have No Idea How Annoying They Are
According to a study set to be released today by the Center for Sports Research, a whopping 96-percent of Boston sports fans have no idea how unbelievably annoying they are to those who are not supporters of the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins.

“It’s amazing. The vast majority of these people actually think that they behave just as any other fans do, and that people who have a problem with them are simply jealous,” said the study’s director, Dr. Michael Kreager, a Princeton sociologist. “When in fact, almost all Boston fans have become obnoxious M*******s of the highest order.”

Due to an overwhelming inferiority complex stemming from decades of playing second fiddle to New York, the study found that Boston fans are woefully lacking in knowledge of how to respectfully conduct themselves when one of their teams actually wins. But worse, they revel in their boorish behavior and seem to find more enjoyment in flaunting their good fortune in the faces of others than they do in sincerely celebrating and relishing their teams’ achievements.

“The media has only contributed to this problem,” said Dr. Kreager. “By harping on the years and years the Red Sox went without a championship as though it was some sort of national tragedy, Boston fans actually started to believe they were more important than fans from other cities and therefore deserved to win more. When in fact, all they were was fans of a crappy franchise.”

And when the Red Sox finally won last year – on the heels of two Patriots championships that were then followed by another in February – it created a vicious ****tail that made even the most subdued and casual Boston sports fan into an obnoxious, drunken meathead, unbearably annoying to anyone with different rooting interests.

“I wanted to be happy for these people when the Patriots won, and especially when the Red Sox finally got a World Series, but I found it impossible,” said Dan Miller, a Seattle native who now lives outside Boston. “Before I could even congratulate any of my friends or acquaintances they got up in my face, yelling and screaming and saying how my favorite teams suck, or leaving messages on my cell phone gloating about it. So instead of being a mild supporter of Boston teams, now I hate them with every fiber of my being. Same with most of their fans.”

The study also found that some 89 percent of Boston fans believe they are the most knowledgeable fan base in the world, when in reality they are no more savvy than any other.

“We found this to be most evident in relation to the Patriots,” said Dr. Kreager. “Until they made the Super Bowl in 1997, most New Englanders barely paid attention to football, but now – thanks to the Patriots winning three of the past four years – they seem to believe they invented the game or something and that their city is the epitome of all things football. Of course, once the Patriots inevitably start struggling some day, we expect most of their fans to ignore them again.”

The only saving grace for Boston fans – or perhaps more for people who come into regular contact with them – is that the Celtics and Bruins continue to suck. But even in mediocrity, the M*******-ishness finds a way to shine through.

“I personally found it hilarious that the Celtics managed to squeak into the playoffs this year and lots of Boston fans actually thought they had a legitimate shot of going to the Finals,” said Dr. Kreager. “Right, with Paul Pierce, Antoine Walker and Ricky Davis – not to mention Danny Ainge in the front office – you’re really a force to be reckoned with. And, of course, now that the Celtics draft has received high marks, they’re all guaranteeing a few championships by the end of the decade. I usually try to step back and stay completely objective when I’m studying a group of people, but I have to say – these people are freaking morons. Absolutely unbearable.”

Predictably, the ever-belligerent and cantankerous Boston fans do not agree with the study’s findings.

“That is wicked stupid. People are just jealous. What – did some Yankees fan make up that study? Probably, ‘cause the Yankees suck!” said Tommy Reilly, a 27-year old Boston bartender. “Yeah, that’s right. You heard me. The Yankees suck!”

The Colts aren't even the flavor of the week right now. The Jets are.

I hated the Colts a few years ago because I thought they were a sleuth of things that it turns out every fan base is. I just hate certain things that fans do including bragging about super bowls from 30 years ago, the steelers fans with their presence at away games (this isn't baseball, they don't need your ticket payment to survive), obvious massive bandwagon followings, and hating Chad Johnson...I mean Ochocinco.

I do not hate the Colts. I actually respect them, but I sure do hate that ridicules hopping, skipping, and jumping Manning does while he's in the pocket all the time. That's just irritating! :yawn2:

The Yankees aren't hated as much because no one watches baseball outside of the Northeast.

The Pats are hated because, realistically, we're all muppets. The media turned on the Pats, so the public did.

Mentioning Spygate in the same breath as game-fixing or any of the other sports controversies is redonkulous. People just needed a homerific explanation of why the Pats were obliterating their teams. Randy Moss just ran through triple coverage to catch a 60-yard TD pass, but Spygate gave the Jets fans satisfaction because they didn't have to think about how bad their team was; they could blame something else. I'm sure that if Peyton Manning had the wrong color shoelaces, Titans and Texans fans would be all over it and insist that the color reflected in the eyes of the linemen and secondary which hindered their team's performance.

Last edited:
The New England Patriots are the easiest team to hate in the entire sporting world. Regardless of who you cheer for, regardless of who is in your team's division, regardless of what sport you follow, Bill Belichick's squad is the obvious villain.

Now, a few years ago, the New York Yankees may have held this award. They are the most successful franchise in all of sports and they have sustained their high level of play for better than a century. The Bronx Bombers, however, have never been convicted of breaking the rules to attain their victories. Therein lies the Patriots' stake to this property. They are good, they are a perennial powerhouse, and they are convicted cheaters. The Yankees could win the next 5 World Series' and spew hate speech and racial bigotry every step of the way and still not reach the universal bad guy status that the Patriots have landed upon.

During the Patriots' three Super Bowl runs- in 2001, 2003, and 2004, they totaled 9 playoff wins before getting found out in 2006 for illegal spying. Add their one playoff win in 2005, and you've got eight franchises- the Raiders, Steelers (twice), Rams, Titans, Colts (twice), Panthers, Jaguars, and Eagles- that had their season ended by a Patriots team that was breaking the rules. That's 8 entire cities full of people that have good reason to believe that they were cheated out of a football season.

Then, you've got the individuals. Tom Brady's brash arrogance, designer scarves, and roughing the passer demands. Rodney Harrison's dirty hits, personal fouls, and positive HGH test. Randy Moss and his poor work ethic, refusals to run routes or block when he's not the primary receiver, and the way he quit on the Raiders to join the Patriots. Wes Welker and his sharp, inbred rat-like features and laughable on-field trash talking. The list goes on and on with none being worse as the head coach himself, who may be the most immature loser in the history of professional sports.

Indeed, the Patriots are an easy bunch to dislike. Not unlike the Nazis in World War II Germany, the Patriots are the type of villains that can bring the rest of the entire world together in united disdain. Just like in the movies and in real life wars, the villain sometimes wins the battle, which is precisely what perpetuates their villainous status. The fact that we can take refuge in is that they cannot ultimately win the war, for history, particularly sports history, remembers failures and dishonestly even more than it remembers successes. Shoeless Joe Jackson is not remembered for his slugging percentage, he is remembered for throwing the 1919 World Series. Mike Tyson is not rememberd as the youngest Heavyweight Champion, he is remembered for being convicted of rape and for having bitten Evander Holyfield during a fight. Not many people know what year Tonya Harding won the US Figure Skating Championship, but everyone knows what her goons did to Nancy Kerrigan's knees.

So, this Sunday, as the world tunes in to watch Peyton vs Brady in the latest battle of good vs evil, just remember that Peyton and the Colts have already won. No victory, not even 10 more last-minute AFC Championship victories over the Patriots, is as good as the whole world knowing that in the history of this rivalry, although the momentum has gone back and forth more than a few times, one of the two teams cheated. And it wasn't the Colts.

My, this could get ugly but remember, this was not my post.

Tom Brady's designer scarves? Welker's inbred rat-like features? That is just so bizarre I had to laugh.

I think BB is going to feel bad about being left out. No Dr. Evil references?

But the ultimate is being compared to the Nazi's.. imagine, a Jewish-owned team being compared with the Nazi's... that is beyond bizarre.

:pigsfly:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes