PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do we want a team in L.A.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on this is that Los Angeles is so spread out and diverse in its population that it doesn't have a strong enough sense of "community" to identify with a team. I am curious, though, how well pro soccer draws there -- I'm assuming L.A. has a pro soccer team.

Tunescribe said:
My take on this is that Los Angeles is so spread out and diverse in its population that it doesn't have a strong enough sense of "community" to identify with a team. I am curious, though, how well pro soccer draws there -- I'm assuming L.A. has a pro soccer team.

Two, actually.

cblesz said:
Tyler, I wouldn't watch the Kings game either if you were there...however, a winner gets supported anywhere...LA included. Look at the Lakers, Ducks and Clippers. I was just at the Ducks game Saturday and it was rocking.
It's a city of front runners. I am not trying to be mean, that's just the way it is. The NFL wants a team there because having a team in LA would probably lead to some higher television ratings. Any team that doesn't get a stadium deal they want would be a candidate... Chiefs and Saints come to mind...

14thDragon said:
Cardnials saved themselves from the chopping block by getting thier stadium done, improving the team on the field and actually having a major surge in season ticket sales.
I can't believe it took them this long to get their stadium built, but now that it has been built they are very secure in their current location. Imagine a stadium even worse that the old Foxboro Stadium. Now imagine sitting in it in the 100 degree Arizona sun. Take that fun filled gameday experience and move it into what is probably the nicest, most comfortable stadium in football.

What's the result...? The **Cardinals** now have a waiting list for season ticket sales. Do not adjust your computer monitor, you read that right.

wrangler said:
godef m8, in 1979 "The LA Rams" did make the the big show.
So they did. I would have sworn they never made it. Ah well, it's easy to forget the losers.

QuiGon said:
What's the result...? The **Cardinals** now have a waiting list for season ticket sales. Do not adjust your computer monitor, you read that right.
Probably won't be a long wait, though. :D

shakadave said:
Thanks for the professional caliber analysis!

I understand all the points you make, but I want to point out an implied premise you are making: If a team is placed in L.A., then L.A. will watch more NFL on TV than they do now. If this premise is true, then it's a good business decision for all the reasons you cite. But I'm questioning the premise!

You are correct. If there was a team in LA, the implication is that people in LA would watch more NFL football. I think that's a pretty reasonable assumption.

jimmyjames said:
You are correct. If there was a team in LA, the implication is that people in LA would watch more NFL football. I think that's a pretty reasonable assumption.

The second assumtion is that kids from 5-15 will become more loyal fans if they have a local team to root for. Thus continuing the fan base of the NFL.

As a resident of Los Angeles I don't see how this city cannot support a team if it's done right. If the improvements are made to the Coliseum we clearly have the venue and, I believe, the fan support. There are a lot of transplanted football fans out here that I know who have to make the drive to San Diego, Arizona, or San Fran/Oakland just to catch a game. I have already discussed getting season tickets when a team finally does get moved here. If we have an "average" size viewing audience and we don't even have a team I can only imagine that will improve once there is actually a team here. But from the looks of it we should have a team by 2010 and I for one can't wait.

miDeuce said:
As a resident of Los Angeles I don't see how this city cannot support a team if it's done right. If the improvements are made to the Coliseum we clearly have the venue and, I believe, the fan support.

I live here. I love football. If a team comes here, I imagine my man and I will get season tix as well just so we can see LIVE NFL every week.

But the Colliseum. NO! It's in the middle of the hood, parking is horrible except in makeshift lots in front of crack house homes. The Rose Bowl would be a better option and the grass parkinglot caters to tailgating! A necessity with season tix! :)

Last edited:
Who's to say the NFL really wants a team in LA? What if LA is much better at generating revenue by threatening to steal somone else's team than it could ever be as an actual home to a team? Just how much sweeter are all of the other stadium packages in terms of government help because the NFL could always just pull the team out and stick them in LA?

sdaniels7114 said:
Who's to say the NFL really wants a team in LA? What if LA is much better at generating revenue by threatening to steal somone else's team than it could ever be as an actual home to a team? Just how much sweeter are all of the other stadium packages in terms of government help because the NFL could always just pull the team out and stick them in LA?

You're absolutely right. But I think all the teams that are going to get new stadiums already got them. Public now is generally opposed to taxpayer money going to new stadia. So they'll move to LA, and use another city (Vegas maybe? Or the city they vacated) as their threat when they need it.

LA is gonna be tough for at least 5 more years.

Mike the Brit said:
If I recall correctly, one of the reasons that LA has been tough for the NFL is the strength of college football in the area (particularly USC) and its hostility to professional football.
Personally, I think the idea of the Raiders moving back to LA makes the most sense.
I'd hate to see the balance of numbers/divisions/rivalries/schedules/play-off places messed up just when they've got it right and adding a team or moving one across country would do that.
balance, shmalance. in spite of ruining the symmetry, baseball's unbalanced right now.
1. altho the owners of an LA franchise wouldn't have to pay a large entry fee, maybe $250 million, i'm not sure the LA financial stuff works unless the city/county antes up the infrastructure money. remember public works and a structure in LA have to be built to earthquake standards.
2. nfl franchises are cash cows. but there's gotta be something very wrong with this one. if the money worked out, somebody woulda jumped on this 3 years ago.
3. the tax breaks owners get (credits, abatements, accelerated depreciation) usually make private stadium financing a wash in 10-15 years. add in skyboxes and (ugh) PSLs for other up-front and steady income. something must be wrong, heavy-duty.
4. all these media outlets are businesses. now that they are owned by corporations instead of individuals, they have continuing pressure for a gain in profits. TV networks can't really get that without an LA franchise.
5. yes LA is a mega-market but, like san diego, LA has no market to its west.
6. the chargers were originally the LA chargers, but that was a long time ago.
the rose bowl is still beautiful, but it doesn't have enough skyboxes for it to make as much money as nfl owners want.
7. the networks are undoubtedley harassing tagliabue to just DO it, with the nfl's own kitty. MLB just did that with the washington franchise. altho the league probably has a billion dollars salted away somewhere, the nfl must be leery of the precedent.
8. if the league puts an established franchise in there, residents and corporations will support it. it'll be the new place to be seen. but if LA has to live with some B.S. like the houston texans, 10 years to respectability, watch out.

ilduce06410 said:
balance, shmalance. in spite of ruining the symmetry, baseball's unbalanced right now.

Oh, right -- so baseball is a good example, you think? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes