PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do they say we run it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think our beat down on the Titans in the snow back in '09 was more brutal.

I still think our beat down on the Titans in the snow back in '09 was more brutal.

I agree, because they were not that bad of a team, not great, but not bad. But, the weather was kind of unfair, for the Titans.
This was just Brees when pressure is on in the lime light. He's good at that. Plus Colts have no QB and injuries on offense. Im not understanding why the their defense did so poorly, though

Last edited:
Offense get paid to run up the score. I have no idea why someone thinks doing your job is "classless".

I'd probably be disrespected if I knew they started playing half assed against my team. If I can't stop you I don't deserve the win. The only time I would ever let up is when I'm 100% sure the game is in hand and things start getting chippy, then I'd pull players to avoid injury.

Apart from that? My starters are getting all the game reps they can and putting their abilities on display for the fans who pay to see them. Your defense should do the same thing and try to stop me. Defense don't get nagged on for forcing a shut out, do they? Same exact situation. They're just doing their job and not letting someone score. When someone doesn't stop scoring, how is it different?

Whether "running it up" is a legitimate beef, the reason the patriots will get grief about it while others may not is because the media has their list of favorites and non favorites. BB is not a media favorite. They will slant their headlines and talking points according to their list.
It's that simple.......

Who cares if we "run it up"? That's football. If a team can't handle a blowout then play good defense.

If they are Sucking for Luck then I would not lose sleep if teams ran the score up on that team. They deserve it to be chastised on the field and in the media for not putting their best effort forward.
I would love to hear more media members be critical of the poor team Bill Polian has constructed.

I'm glad they ran it up. The Colts deserve it.

I actually agree with BB, this is professional football. If you can't stop us prepare to be humiliated. BB keeps the players in because that is what they are payed to do, their job.
Like someone said
offense : make points
Defense: stop points
I really doubt when we played you , like Kont said, BB would have slowed the game down if you where beating us as much as we were beating you, but I respect that. You pulled Brady from the game, and SP has some weird thing about just winning, and dosnt care about points or stats.
IF we kept Brees in today, he would have broken a 350 yrd record, and we might have hit the 70's, but SP, and Brees don't care about that , I think.
Personally I don't think BB keeps his players on the field to humiliate people, I think he does it because its there job, and what they are paid to do, and that fine. Its the other teams job to stop them.
So, in my mind BB is just doing his job, and SP is doing the same but just wants the win, so pulls back, but same thing.

.. and I want to point out as a player in college, when your having the best game of your life, you don't want to be pulled. They don't happen very often when everything clicks. So, BB, might be much more of a players coach than SP. Im positive Brady or Brees doesn't want to leave the field when the perfect game is unfolding.

Last edited:
A lot of things to factor in especially risk of injury. Football is not gulf. The longer you play, the higher your chance of an injury

In 1 season we went from spygate to running up the score. Once the evil empire picture was formed via spygate the media kept it alive, so we became the NFL's version of "Revenge of The Sith"

An aggressive competitive attitude and quest for a perfect season was painted as hateful blood thirsty revenge and a general lack of respect towards opposing teams. Mindless banter

That being said, I love a good blowout. Wish Brees threw 50 more TD's against the clots.

Is there a worse backup QB than Painter?

Then again it's a brilliant strategy by Polian to have a backup that sucks so badly ... now all he needs is for manning to heal just a bit slower.

for espn , the only thing that would put the red sox beer and chicken extravaganza on the back burner would be the pats "running up the score" on the manningless colts. killing dogs and raping women would pale in comparison. a public tarring, feathering and scarlet R on bb's hoodie would be in order, instituted by his most gracious, lenient and forgiving overlord, pontius goodell. this heinous infraction shall then be discussed ad nauseum by the purveyors of everything that is holy in this most sacred of all endeavors.

Is there a worse backup QB than Painter?

That would be Kyle Boller. He has been heard to say " I am not an NFL quarterback, but I play one on TV."

People complained of Belichick running up the score on Joe Gibbs. Gibbs never complained. Why? Because no one ran up the score more than Gibbs.

I can remember being a Patriots fan in the early 90s. No one showed any mercy to the Patriots, especially people like Gibbs.

First off the Colts should be embarassed that was a joke.

Second the Saints barely passed the ball in the second half. and at times had stretches of 6-7 straight runs and those were only broken up by short passes.

third what other options are there you cant just stop playing.

Lastly why should a team stop playing. Especially giving the new rules limiting contact during the week. Lets assume you got a team like the Pats, Saints, and Packers where they are capable of doing this for consecutive weeks.

If you pulled your starters out of everygame like that then you would be limiting your teams reps and if it happened a few weeks in a row it could equate to a game or 2 and then comes an opponent who can hang who has been playing his guys for the entire game and are now way ahead of where your guys are.

Sure this is a bit of a stretch but in my opinion the only thing a coach should be worried about are his own guys and to me that means you ease up on the hurt and injured and maybe one guy here or there who may not be hurt but overworked other than that the rest play.

I remember people complaining in '09 stating that the Saints were running it up on us. It'll be interesting to see how many of you are still singing the "paid to stop" tune in a few years when Brady and Belichick are gone, we suck, and the other team is running it up on us.

Some of us Pats fans have LONG experience with this. I remember an AFL playoff game in the late 60s where the Chaagiz put 56 on us.

But that was back when men were men, Grasshopper.

I actually agree with BB, this is professional football. If you can't stop us prepare to be humiliated. BB keeps the players in because that is what they are payed to do, their job.
Like someone said
offense : make points
Defense: stop points
I really doubt when we played you , like Kont said, BB would have slowed the game down if you where beating us as much as we were beating you, but I respect that. You pulled Brady from the game, and SP has some weird thing about just winning, and dosnt care about points or stats.
IF we kept Brees in today, he would have broken a 350 yrd record, and we might have hit the 70's, but SP, and Brees don't care about that , I think.
Personally I don't think BB keeps his players on the field to humiliate people, I think he does it because its there job, and what they are paid to do, and that fine. Its the other teams job to stop them.
So, in my mind BB is just doing his job, and SP is doing the same but just wants the win, so pulls back, but same thing.

.. and I want to point out as a player in college, when your having the best game of your life, you don't want to be pulled. They don't happen very often when everything clicks. So, BB, might be much more of a players coach than SP. Im positive Brady or Brees doesn't want to leave the field when the perfect game is unfolding.

Saints did us a favor with that humiliating (it really was) rout. Motivated BB to look again at the kind of team he'd built...and try again to change it.

Some of us Pats fans have LONG experience with this. I remember an AFL playoff game in the late 60s where the Chaagiz put 56 on us.

But that was back when men were men, Grasshopper.

Haven't been around that long. I only remember the team being bad under Pete Carroll. Personally, I don't really care. If you don't want the other team to score, man up and stop them. I was more or less commenting on how many opinions would (and did) change if another team was running it up on us. I got a good laugh out of that Saints gameday thread a couple of years ago.

Haven't been around that long. I only remember the team being bad under Pete Carroll. Personally, I don't really care. If you don't want the other team to score, man up and stop them. I was more or less commenting on how many opinions would (and did) change if another team was running it up on us. I got a good laugh out of that Saints gameday thread a couple of years ago.

If I recall correctly the primary tenor from that Saints game from two years ago was about the hypocrisy of the media and other fans - not about the actual concept of running up the score. Similarly today, I think that is what many Pats fans are questioning: why were the Patriots scrutinized in a manner that other teams were not back then, and still are not today.

As previously mentioned, the obvious answer is that because the Pats were and still are the team others love to hate. A lopsided victory by the Pats gives the media a lightning rod for web hits and reactions, and it gives opposing fans an excuse for their bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back