PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did Wells refuse another interview with McNally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wells was hoping for one of those moments like in that HBO documentary "the jinx" where Wells interviews him and goes "is this you, here calling yourself the deflator" Excuse me mr wells i need to use the bathroom and then the hot mic picks up McNally talking t him self, "they got you, what did you do? deflated everything in the stadium of course *burp* smart guys smart guysssssssss *burp*"

1) McNally met once with Wells. Wells wanted a follow-up meeting, which might have led to more meetings.

2) Face to face depositions are the norm in almost all civil and criminal cases. Phone conversations are not equivalent.

3) Wells could have allowed the defendant to choose when and how to testify. Wells chose not to so, but rather use the team's refusal as evidence of not fully cooperating. Wells used this refusal to make the case of non-cooperation more able to survive courts and appeals.

Last edited:
it is not McNally's fault it takes Wells that many times to ask the right question
1) McNally met once with Wells. Wells wanted a follow-up meeting, which might have led to more meetings.

2) Face to face depositions are the norm in almost all civil and criminal cases. Phone conversations are not equivalent.

mcnally met with investigators 4 times....at some point it becomes badgering

Saying that face to face depositions are the norm is misleading. First, this was not a deposition. Second, 5 "depositions" is by no means the norm. In fact, trying to "depose" the same person more than once requires specific court approval in Federal cases.

And telephonic depositions happen all the time.

Saying that face to face depositions are the norm is misleading. First, this was not a deposition. Second, 5 "depositions" is by no means the norm. In fact, trying to "depose" the same person more than once requires specific court approval in Federal cases.

And telephonic depositions happen all the time.
That's exactly right. You must either be a lawyer, work in the legal field, or have a lawyer husband who talks too much about his job at dinner. What I didn't know until I read the PFT article linked above is that it was McNally, not the Patriots, who didn't want the interview. The Patriots failure to cooperate consisted of not "encouraging" McNally (i.e., since the Patriots are his employer, coercing him) to submit to a fifth in-person interview. Full cooperation means bending over backwards to assist in the investigation--not forcing some third party to bend over backwards, especially if you don't think it's fair to do so. Although it's not likely to happen, how I wish that a Federal judge with some familiarity with labor and employment law could review the merits of punishing the Patriots for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST