PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Whose gonna be the guy cut this summer thats a shocker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to say it will be either Patrick Pass or Kevin Faulk as the biggest surprise cut.

Agreed on Falk (as a plausible but shocking cut).

I really like him, but as I understand it, Falk is getting paid a total of:

2007: $2.75M (some of which may have been paid already)
2008: $3.25M
2009: $3.75M

I'm really skeptical about his ability to earn this much with other teams.

That said, I'd like to think that he and the Patriots could reach a deal on restructuring his contract, instead of cutting him.

If we don't cut him this year, I think he is gone next year.

As far as Pass goes, is he even a Patriot? Obviously he'd be even more useful if we were to lose Falk.

No way Faulk goes. An excellent 3rd down clutch player for this team, well worth the below market money he wisely signed for.
No way Thomas goes either, especially for Mills.

Perhaps one of last year's starting wideouts could get cut or yes, even a Stallworth or Moss, should either become a problem player.

There's a certain young veteran ORT who had better watch his ***** if he doesn't put forth more effort.

Pass isn't on the roster. He's a definite non-member, excepting an injury to our RBs.

Agreed on Falk (as a plausible but shocking cut).

I really like him, but as I understand it, Falk is getting paid a total of:

2007: $2.75M (some of which may have been paid already)
2008: $3.25M
2009: $3.75M

I'm really skeptical about his ability to earn this much with other teams.

That said, I'd like to think that he and the Patriots could reach a deal on restructuring his contract, instead of cutting him.

If we don't cut him this year, I think he is gone next year.

As far as Pass goes, is he even a Patriot? Obviously he'd be even more useful if we were to lose Falk.

My theory for the last year or so is that the Pats will part ways with Faulk after this season and sign Mewelde Moore when he hits FA.

BB/Pioli liked Moore coming out of Tulane, and for anyone who has seen him play, he's an excellent third down back. Very exciting player. Hopefully his maturity issues are behind him ...

Thomas would go beyond "shocker" to me, it would make me queasy. Consider the situation...2006 is a deep TE draft, the Pats know Graham will be gone in a year, so they spend a day-1 pick on a polished pass-catching TE. He makes the most of limited playing time in his rookie year, averaging an outstanding 14.5 ypc. Graham leaves, and the FA they bring in is a pure blocker in the last years of his career. If they turn around and cut Thomas now it means they've made a major series of blunders.

As for Pass, I'm afraid the shocker would be if he DID make the team. And the WR situation is too volatile right now for Washington, Gaffney or even Caldwell to count as shockers. So I'll go with Josh Miller (alas) or Kaczur.

You make some dead on points: Thomas will probably move to back-up/join starter K.Brady in 2 TE sets. (2) P.Pass will most likely try out/sign for TC since he is Still an unsigned Free Agent, and probably rotate with Mills and Evans on KR's with, possibly Troy Brown in under 20 PR's. (<-- Insert Probable signing Brown to Player/Coach for 2007 Fair well Tour; JMO)

IMO, Maroney will be taken off this duty in order to be the workhorse for the year with Sammy Morris filling in on 2nd and close situations. Evans will Probably fill the Majority of FB duties. It will be Hard Pressed no matter who Getts eliminated, but come on...Can we Start TC first? when does it start already?

PD.

It's definitly going to be a WR like Caldwell or Washington. The WR has an overabundance of talent and someone will get cut that might not of last year.

Given their reasonable contracts I can't help but think a trade would be more likely - we get some value for them and their new team avoids having to fight with other teams to get them.

We need RB depth for Faulk to be cut - so I don't think he will and if he does that's a good sign.

Kevin Faulk is not going to be cut. No way.
Cousins,
Faulk is a BB favorite. Even with his costly big-time fumbles, he has maintained a roster spot for years where other teams might have cut him. He has led a charmed life with BB. He is still actually productive even though he can't take care of the ball and for some reason takes the most wicked hits of any NFL back I have ever seen. Has anybody else seen that to? I just watch for the ball to pop out. He looks like a rag doll out there on some plays.

I think Izzo was just resigned, but I agree, a liability when he plays other than mop up. How many of you cringe when you see Izzo playing in an actual meaningful defensive line up for a series or situation?

It's inconsistency that will do in Reche, not end of year numbers. The numbers are fine. He has had other mental issues all 2006 prior to the Colts game. He struggled to get open most of the time when Brady looked like Mike "What Pit Bulls, MF?" Vicks' Pit Bulls were after him. What you see with Caldwell, is what you get. He will not get any better. 2006 was his signature year. That is his high point. Not bad, but.....How many of you agree with this?

If Caldwell would have had that year-round consistency, got open and yes....made the Colts plays, would the Pats have went out and acquired not one, but 4 new wide receivers?

Gaffney was just starting to "get it". More of an upside there then Caldwell and it appears to me, more talent AND!!!!..... less salary. Gaffney had some decent years in Houston too with a mediocre QB and team. It's not been just one year with him. Easy decision if it's between those two.

Miller I can see as a cut maybe, but he just got a fat roster bonus. I am sure that would not make Mr. Kraft happy. They could have decided to go with a kid on the roster or drafted a P. so cutting Miller makes no sense.

Now Kaczur? We drafted two more OT types. I see Britt or O'Callaghan playing RT, but....Aundra Davis is a solid ILB for Cleveland. Last years LT Kevin Shaefer, does not want to play RT and has asked for a trade now that Thomas has arrived. I see in drills that the Pats are moving around with ILB and experimenting inside once again. Seau is a great pick up for another year....but he can't play every down. With rookie pick young Oscar they could have a rotation, but Davis can be had for Kaczur. He is young and has some impressive stats, and on a weak team. Why cut "Nick" if a trade can be worked out. CAP costs won't be an issue. The Browns have 4 starting type ILBs in depth. Oscar the lad, gets playing time to eventually play some ILB and Davis can be groomed for Teddy's eventual retirement or Davis can start next to Teddy for a few years.
Who knows if Oscar the kid, even makes the Pats roster?

James Sanders would be my cut. Worst starting SS in the league. He is awful. In fairness let me say this about James, he might not be able to tackle, but he doesn't cover well either. What can anyone see in him? Improving? Maybe I have the number wrong? It is #36, right? The last play he ever had in a Pats uniform should be the Adai "wiff" in the Championship game. It's like he had money on the Colts. He kindly stepped out of Adais' way at the two yard line. My 84 year old mother-in-law could have made that tackle. James Sanders fans, look at the tapes! He should have been up on the Colts podium with Peyton and Dungy receiving accolades at the end on the game! How many thank you letters has he gotten from the Colts fans? That wasn't the only bad Pats play of the game but no one ever mentions that farce.

DW Toys

RIP M.H.

Stallworth.

Actually, I'm not basing that on anything logical (except him missing passing camp), just a gut feeling.

No freakin way........are you kidding here?

If Garret Mills stays healthy, it might be Dave Thomas.

I'd say Pass is the odds on favorite to get cut and then make an appearance later in the year.

Why David Thomas? Thomas is an amazing athlete who has probably the best hands on the team. If anything, he'll be pup'ed because of his foot injury. Which was done while working out with the team.

Yeah right. Brady!

In all seriousness, Bruschi is a backup on this team so him getting cut should not be considered impossible. In fact, it would be "shocking."

No way Faulk goes. An excellent 3rd down clutch player for this team, well worth the below market money he wisely signed for.

Between money owed ($9.75M) and remaining signing bonus ($1.5M) Kevin Falk is going to make $11.25M for three years.

Are you seriously telling me that you believe that $3.75M/year is "well below market value" for a non-starting back?

I'd bet that most teams don't even have a STARTING back who makes that much.

Seriously, which NFL team do you think would pay Kevin Faulk substantially more than $11.25M for three years?

Cousins,
Faulk is a BB favorite. Even with his costly big-time fumbles, he has maintained a roster spot for years where other teams might have cut him. He has led a charmed life with BB. He is still actually productive even though he can't take care of the ball and for some reason takes the most wicked hits of any NFL back I have ever seen. Has anybody else seen that to? I just watch for the ball to pop out. He looks like a rag doll out there on some plays.

I think Izzo was just resigned, but I agree, a liability when he plays other than mop up. How many of you cringe when you see Izzo playing in an actual meaningful defensive line up for a series or situation?

It's inconsistency that will do in Reche, not end of year numbers. The numbers are fine. He has had other mental issues all 2006 prior to the Colts game. He struggled to get open most of the time when Brady looked like Mike "What Pit Bulls, MF?" Vicks' Pit Bulls were after him. What you see with Caldwell, is what you get. He will not get any better. 2006 was his signature year. That is his high point. Not bad, but.....How many of you agree with this?

If Caldwell would have had that year-round consistency, got open and yes....made the Colts plays, would the Pats have went out and acquired not one, but 4 new wide receivers?

Gaffney was just starting to "get it". More of an upside there then Caldwell and it appears to me, more talent AND!!!!..... less salary. Gaffney had some decent years in Houston too with a mediocre QB and team. It's not been just one year with him. Easy decision if it's between those two.

Miller I can see as a cut maybe, but he just got a fat roster bonus. I am sure that would not make Mr. Kraft happy. They could have decided to go with a kid on the roster or drafted a P. so cutting Miller makes no sense.

Now Kaczur? We drafted two more OT types. I see Britt or O'Callaghan playing RT, but....Aundra Davis is a solid ILB for Cleveland. Last years LT Kevin Shaefer, does not want to play RT and has asked for a trade now that Thomas has arrived. I see in drills that the Pats are moving around with ILB and experimenting inside once again. Seau is a great pick up for another year....but he can't play every down. With rookie pick young Oscar they could have a rotation, but Davis can be had for Kaczur. He is young and has some impressive stats, and on a weak team. Why cut "Nick" if a trade can be worked out. CAP costs won't be an issue. The Browns have 4 starting type ILBs in depth. Oscar the lad, gets playing time to eventually play some ILB and Davis can be groomed for Teddy's eventual retirement or Davis can start next to Teddy for a few years.
Who knows if Oscar the kid, even makes the Pats roster?

James Sanders would be my cut. Worst starting SS in the league. He is awful. In fairness let me say this about James, he might not be able to tackle, but he doesn't cover well either. What can anyone see in him? Improving? Maybe I have the number wrong? It is #36, right? The last play he ever had in a Pats uniform should be the Adai "wiff" in the Championship game. It's like he had money on the Colts. He kindly stepped out of Adais' way at the two yard line. My 84 year old mother-in-law could have made that tackle. James Sanders fans, look at the tapes! He should have been up on the Colts podium with Peyton and Dungy receiving accolades at the end on the game! How many thank you letters has he gotten from the Colts fans? That wasn't the only bad Pats play of the game but no one ever mentions that farce.

DW Toys

RIP M.H.

Good posting. (And not just bc you are on the right side of the Caldwell-Gaffney fence. ;))

I've been wanting Izzo to be replaced for years. Yeah he is a good STer, but if he is a 10 ST and a 4 LB, I'd rather have a 7 ST and a 7 LB. He's basically useless at the LB spot.

Like the idea of the Kaczur trade. I remember this idea/rumor was floated awhile back as well. Would love for it to come to fruition. I liked Davis as LB coming out of college.

Interesting take on Sanders. I have never paid too much attention to his play. I know I've never really seen him do anything special, but I do recall him ******* up a play or two. He could be the cut.

My guess is Reche Caldwell.

The last play he ever had in a Pats uniform should be the Adai "wiff" in the Championship game. It's like he had money on the Colts. He kindly stepped out of Adais' way at the two yard line. My 84 year old mother-in-law could have made that tackle. James Sanders fans, look at the tapes! He should have been up on the Colts podium with Peyton and Dungy receiving accolades at the end on the game! How many thank you letters has he gotten from the Colts fans? That wasn't the only bad Pats play of the game but no one ever mentions that farce.

There were more than a few people screaming at the screen that they should have let the Colts score a few plays earlier. There is a distinct chance that Sanders and the whole defense was told to allow that score then.

Between money owed ($9.75M) and remaining signing bonus ($1.5M) Kevin Falk is going to make $11.25M for three years.

Sorry, but you have some misinformation there.
http://www.patscap.com/capfootnotes.html#faulk

Faulk's total salary cap hit is 11.25 million over the next 3 seasons. That is NOT what he is going to be making.

Faulk's salary over the next 3 years is 7.2 million. He also has 1.5 million in roster bonuses and 320K in workout bonuses. The 1.491 million you are including is signing bonus amortization and can't be counted twice.

Also, Faulk has 250K in LTBE bonuses that he may or may not make.

Are you seriously telling me that you believe that $3.75M/year is "well below market value" for a non-starting back?

I'd bet that most teams don't even have a STARTING back who makes that much.

Considering the franchise number for RBs is 6.999 million, I'd bet that there are probably about half of the starting RBs getting more than what Faulk's salary is. Which is 1.9 million for 2007.

Seriously, which NFL team do you think would pay Kevin Faulk substantially more than $11.25M for three years?

Considering what Ovie Mughelli got as a blocking FB, I think that Faulk is coming at a discount.

What a complete load of crap. Sanders is nowhere near the worst starting SS in the league. What he is is an up-and-coming player who, despite not being as athletic as some of the flashier safeties in the league, has shown to be solid and dependable, if unspectacular.

You mention one play. ONE PLAY. As if that should be reason enough to indict Sanders. Maybe you should saunter over to the Caldwell v. Gaffney thread -- my guess is you'd chose Gaffney, employing that craptacular logic.

Even if you're not high on Sanders, you really think, given Harrison cannot stay healthy to save his life, they're going to cut his backup? Really?

Sanders is, IMO, the heir apparent to Harrison. Sanders and Meriweather should complement each other nicely.

Last edited:
No freakin way........are you kidding here?
No. I'm not allowed to have gut feelings? I'll be the first to admit there's nothing behind it, kinda like picking a lottery number.

My guess is Reche Caldwell.

Same here, no way Kevin Faulk is getting cut even though he's about as fast as me:D. Cutting Thomas and signing a FA for the blocking TE spot is a Redskins front office esque move. Which would, for me be on a words can't describe shocking level. Even though he's a Gator, see ya Reche.

Sorry, but you have some misinformation there.
http://www.patscap.com/capfootnotes.html#faulk

Faulk's total salary cap hit is 11.25 million over the next 3 seasons. That is NOT what he is going to be making.

Please READ my posts before saying I am wrong:

solman said:

I clearly identified which monies he is going to BE paid, and which monies he has already BEEN paid (but which have not yet been earned, since if he quits, he has to return the $1.5M).

If you can't even take the time to read my posts, I'm not going to waste my time debating you. This is the second time in a week that your illiteracy has gotten in the way of a debate.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
it going to a lineman,maybe Nick

If they want to get rid of Kazcur, I think they will trade him before they cut him. They could probably get something pretty good from a team needy for offensive linemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back