Welcome to PatsFans.com

Who's startin at FS?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by hobbsownscoles, Apr 29, 2007.

1. hobbsownscoles

hobbsownscoles Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who thinks Meriweather takes the job right from the start?
  2. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

He certainly could. A lot of it depends on how the Samuel situation shakes out. If Samuel isn't there, then Wilson will probably move outside and start along with Hobbs (Scott, James, Gay, etc. as backups). Then Harrison and Meriweather would start at safety, backed up by Hawkins, Sanders, etc.

If Samuel stays, then he starts alongside Hobbs outside, backed up by the same group. At FS, it would be a battle between Meriweather and Wilson, with the loser then battling for a nickel spot.
  3. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If Asante isnt with us next year then I would have to expect Geno goes to CB leaving Meriweather as the starting FS. If Samuel, by a miracle, resigns with us then I guess we'd see what happens. Lets wait till training camp.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  4. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I say wilson but with his health issues it could be merriweather pretty quick. there is no need to rush let him develope we will need him plenty this season I am sure.
  5. Lampshade

Lampshade Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

To me the best case scenario is a healthy Geno and Rodney starting, with Meriweather being brought along in sub packages etc.
  6. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think Wilson will be the opening day starter, but I wouldn't be suprised if Meriweather moves into more of a starting role as the season progresses, especially if Wilson can't regain his 2004 form.
  7. JoePats

JoePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If Asante is not there, that's a rather gaping hole in the secondary, one that can be aided with a better pass rush from Thomas, Vrabel back outside in spots, etc...

But I think his prescence back there is critical. Also having to count on Wilson/Gay to stay healthy for the whole year is something I'd rather not think about.
  8. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I believe that the Patriots actions this offseason indicate that they believe Samuel will be back for at least this year.

But that is just a guess, so I could be totally wrong.
  9. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

if BB gives open competition..i think Meriweather will beat him out right away..Meriweather is a very good player..a hard worker while Geno has been questioned about working hard sometimes. I know hes gonna give it his all but based on talent..i say Meriweather
  10. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Gino is going to have to earn a starting spot no matter where it is. If he sleeps through meetings and isn't motivated it'll be a long (contract) year for him.
  11. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

i think he'll be prepared..its contract time..someones gonna need a Safety..he wants to get paid