PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Right Regarding Our Corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This debate will go on for the next 2 weeks until the draft, and the answer could go either way depending on Belichick's preference. We may see a high round CB pick, a mid round CB pick (my personal preference), a late round CB pick, or no CB pick in the draft at all. Bill Belichick gets paid to make these decisions, and the variables of Ras-I-Dowling, a proven low-costing vet, and a possible draftee who he can't pass up on make the situation even more interesting.

PROS of taking a 1st/2nd round CB

1. We could always use talent in that area, much like another's comment about the comparison to never having too much pitching

2. It would likely be setting us up for the future for injuries and the potential of Talib leaving at the end of the season

3. It obviously improves the overall talent and depth, and could help to avoid seeing Arrington lining up on the outside if/when injuries occur

4. We usually see problems in this area somehow whether it be due to injuries, poor play or both. Hopefully having better depth, improved safety play, and a full season from our 2 main CB starters can stop this cycle

CONS of taking a 1st/2nd round CB

1. Most of us would like to trade out of round one to acquire additional picks, and most don't want to use our first pick for a CB

2. There's a decent chance they may not see much of the field this year, which points to waiting until next yr to draft a high round CB. There is an argument that the CB depth may be sufficient enough, if Belichick chooses a low cost vet and/or Dowling is looking to be healed. We don't have hints to either scenario besides his supposed interest in Antoine Winfield, who ended up costing a bit more than many assumed at 3m per yr

3. Belichick seems to have paid Arrington good money for a reason, which would point to hints of him feeling more confident than many fans as who can potentially start outside. This may prove to be a wasted pick this year if this is true

4. There are more needs such as WR, DL, and possibly even OL to consider for higher round picks. That isn't even assuming the WTF pick for BPA which may certainly happen too. It is all about prioritization

Ethan Hammerman ‏@Ethanhamm 22m
Breaking: veteran CB Kevin Thomas reporting that he is set to work out with the Patriots.
3:50 PM - 15 Apr 13 ·

Ethan Hammerman ‏@Ethanhamm 21m
Thomas missed rookie year with ACL tear, played for Colts as sophomore and was traded to Eagles in 2012.

I don't know anything about him ...he's 26, doesn't look like he played any for the Eagles last year. Sounds like a camp body.

If such a player is even still out there

Sheldon Brown had a very decent year playing full time CB for Cleveland last season, especially considering that he's opposite of Joe Haden so you'd figure him to get picked on.

As of the CLE/DAL game a few days before Thanksgiving, Brown had not allowed ONE single TD, and was also in the top 10 for QB against ratings.

I believe he finished with 2-3 TD's given up down the stretch of the final five or six weeks, but he still had a good year--especially for someone who is a bit older. On top of that, he's been insanely durable in the course of his career, which is always needed in the secondary.

One would assume we'd be able to snag him for a reasonable cost due to his age if Belichick wanted to. I'm not saying he'd be the answer, but if you're looking for a cheaper proven vet who can still play if/when needed, I can't see why he'd be that much worse than their interest in Antoine Winfield.

I don't know anything about him ...he's 26, doesn't look like he played any for the Eagles last year. Sounds like a camp body.
He certainly racked up the hospital bills while at USC.

I think with Aqib Talib resigning, Alphonzo Dennard returning, Ras-I Dowling healthy, and Kyle Arrington resigning that this a pretty solid group. A pretty good group to be honest. Not only that but safeties Devin McCourty can play CB, Steve Gregory can play in the slot, and Tavon Wilson can also play corner. In addition, Ras-I Dowling can play safety as well. A lot of interchangeable pieces but are they good enough and do we need more? Mind you, last year's AFC Championship game was just a matter of Aqib Talib staying healthy and that was it. Had he would have been healthy, then we are possibly talking about NE as the SB Champs. Don't forget big Adrian Wilson who is still a marvelous player, with that wisdom, knowledge, experience and physical toughness will add some spice that ain't nothing nice to that secondary as well. Even playing a little outside linebacker in some packages.... any opinions to follow?

Aqib Talib - star quality/probowl caliber
Alphonzo Dennard - physical, fundamental and good corner
Ras-I Dowling - loaded with talent and potential but bad health
Kyle Arrington - the best "nickel" corner in the NFL, WHEN focused a good one
Marquice Cole - should stick to special teams

Adrian Wilson - at age 33, still a game changer and violent in nature
Devin McCourty - one of the best in the NFL when playing safety
Steve Gregory - shifty, quick and smart. Good at covering slot. not physical
Tavon Wilson - 4 INTs rookie year, good ball skills and instincts but was beat a few times. Needs to fine tune raw skills but very versatile and can ball.

I think with Aqib Talib resigning, Alphonzo Dennard returning, Ras-I Dowling healthy, and Kyle Arrington resigning that this a pretty solid group. A pretty good group to be honest. Not only that but safeties Devin McCourty can play CB, Steve Gregory can play in the slot, and Tavon Wilson can also play corner. In addition, Ras-I Dowling can play safety as well. A lot of interchangeable pieces but are they good enough and do we need more? Mind you, last year's AFC Championship game was just a matter of Aqib Talib staying healthy and that was it. Had he would have been healthy, then we are possibly talking about NE as the SB Champs. Don't forget big Adrian Wilson who is still a marvelous player, with that wisdom, knowledge, experience and physical toughness will add some spice that ain't nothing nice to that secondary as well. Even playing a little outside linebacker in some packages.... any opinions to follow?

Aqib Talib - star quality/probowl caliber
Alphonzo Dennard - physical, fundamental and good corner
Ras-I Dowling - loaded with talent and potential but bad health
Kyle Arrington - the best "nickel" corner in the NFL, WHEN focused a good one
Marquice Cole - should stick to special teams

Adrian Wilson - at age 33, still a game changer and violent in nature
Devin McCourty - one of the best in the NFL when playing safety
Steve Gregory - shifty, quick and smart. Good at covering slot. not physical
Tavon Wilson - 4 INTs rookie year, good ball skills and instincts but was beat a few times. Needs to fine tune raw skills but very versatile and can ball.

I agree with your thoughts that the secondary is in much better shape than in recent past years, but I still wouldn't mind to see a CB drafted. I just question whether or not it necessarily needs to be a 1st/2nd rounder this year, as I think that kind of high round pick can wait until next year.

It's possible that Belichick disagrees and will feel strongly enough about one/two CB prospects that he won't be able to pass up the chance of adding them.

If the Patriots do not draft a CB in the first 3 rounds, it means they like what they see from Dowling, which would be very encouraging.

If the Patriots do not draft a CB in the first 3 rounds, it means they like what they see from Dowling, which would be very encouraging.

It is all fine and good to like what you see till he's on IR week 3. Guy cannot be in the plans of this team as anything but a surprise if he contributes.

It is all fine and good to like what you see till he's on IR week 3. Guy cannot be in the plans of this team as anything but a surprise if he contributes.

Know who had trouble staying healthy for his first few years in the league? Thomas Jones, he turned the corner and became one of the most consistent players at his position.

Sometimes guys have a little bit of trouble getting physically right...but one they do, they are good to go.

I am not saying that is what will happen to Ras-I, but dwelling on his misfortune is nothing but a waste of time. Lets see how he looks in mini-camp. If the Patriots are happy with him, then so am I.

Know who had trouble staying healthy for his first few years in the league? Thomas Jones, he turned the corner and became one of the most consistent players at his position.

Sometimes guys have a little bit of trouble getting physically right...but one they do, they are good to go.

I am not saying that is what will happen to Ras-I, but dwelling on his misfortune is nothing but a waste of time. Lets see how he looks in mini-camp. If the Patriots are happy with him, then so am I.

Depending on him is the only thing that is a waste of time. But yes lets see, he would be a nice addition if he can play for an entire season.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say but according to Bedard and SMY, Dowling was showing signs of continuing to struggle with his injury very early on during the mini camps in spring.

They both claim that this is the biggest reason why Belichick did not feel confident enough in keeping McCourty at safety full-time, although he definitely wanted to.

Hopefully those problems are in the past, but I don't think anyone is depending on him. Even so, I still think that Arrington was signed as a potential starter in case of injury--whether we agree or not, so that would still give us 3-4 (four if you'd include McCourty) capable starters for the 2 outside positions even without Dowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News