I would NEVER extend 'wilford' he simply sucks - Now 'Wilfork',YES INDEED!! :p

I would think $6M is needed to cover:
rookies
PUP and IR
Player 52 and 53
Practice Squad
Injury Reserve to replace players during the season
======================================
None of this is needed until the week before the season starts, and a restructuring or two or three will cover the $6M (Light, Colvin, and Brady come to mind).
We have plenty of cap room to sign anyone we want. Also, I don't expect Samuel to be on the roster for Game One at $8M. I expect him to extend or be traded.

There abouts, yes.[/QUOTE

]

I'll bet Samuel goes "Branch" on us and Holds Out
for a trade and BB won't make the same mistake by "disclosing" his value,like last time.

I think Mangini will tweak BB's nose again by attempting to contact Samuel on the side,as with D Branch.This is not going to be pretty.

I think we lie low, after the Welker deal goes through, and sign some JAG players at certain positions of need (ILB, WR, etc.), and then we will shift our focus towards the draft.

I think we lie low, after the Welker deal goes through, and sign some JAG players at certain positions of need (ILB, WR, etc.), and then we will shift our focus towards the draft.

Couldn't say it better myself..Enough Cap dollars were used with high priced guys in FA...Now for some bargain basement overacheivers and then money for draft picks will close out a fine investment in 2007.

We have zero ILB's for 2008.
We don't have a #1 WR for 2007.
We have Welker (maybe) and Jackson as our WR's for 2008.
Our defensive backfield for 2008 consists of Hobbs and Sanders.
Dillon has been replaced by Morris (we need more).
========================================
jags and the draft are insufficinet to meet our needs.

We have zero ILB's for 2008.
We don't have a #1 WR for 2007.
We have Welker (maybe) and Jackson as our WR's for 2008.
Our defensive backfield for 2008 consists of Hobbs and Sanders.
Dillon has been replaced by Morris (we need more).
========================================
jags and the draft are insufficinet to meet our needs.

The Pats generally use the draft to build for the future.

Some of your assessments are misleading, though.

WR, if it goes as planned, will have the starters all set in '08, with Chad Jackson and Wes Welker, but Caldwell and/or Gaffney could be retained for relatively cheap money, in addition to drafting developmental players and signing FAs prior to the '08 season.

The defensive backfield has Hobbs, Sanders, Harrison, Andrews, Randall Gay, and Rashad Baker. The majority are young depth, but the situation is not as dire as you imply. Andrews, IMO, is going to be used more in the defense this season.

The Pats are not going to pick up another RB in FA. Laurence Maroney is the starter, Morris is his back up, Evans is the bruiser/FB, and Faulk is there for third downs/spread sets. If a "short yardage" back is what you mean by "more," that would be addressed in the draft for cheap money (if the FO deems it a need).

I'd like to see them address ILB both with a veteran pick up and drafting someone, no need to depend on them this season.

Last edited:
We still have 14.5 mil. in salary cap space after signing Thomas.

Plenty of room for another player or two.

Gage is big, 6-4 210+. 43 of his 60 career catches moved the sticks; this is fifth best in the NFC in the past 3 seasons for WR's with at least 60 catches. He played in Chicago with an incompetent and clueless QB. He's un UFA with little risk, he wouldn't garner a huge contract. I'd sign him and see what he can do, he's at the point in his career where he could break out.

I agree. Now that my #1 target, Drew Bennett, is gone, I think that the FO should look at Gage as a young, low-cost option in case Miami matches and Curtis signs with Detroit. At least bring him to Foxborough and "gage" his commitment to the game.

Two older names that really intrigue me are Eric Moulds and Keenan McCardell, who played for BB in Cleveland...for 4 years. How fitting, then, to end your potential HOF career by playing for the same HOF HC as when you started. And I'm fairly sure that neither he nor Moulds would pull a Donald Hayes/Doug Gabriel on us.

I also very strongly agree with those who champion the extensions of Warren and Wilfork, ASAP.

Cousins,
We lose Graham. McMichael is not a better bloacker but mayber a better receiver. Certainly a better receiver than Brady and better blocker than Watson. Not that the Fins would do it in their conference and after the Welker deal but this would be interesting? Yes or no?
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports the Dolphins also are shopping tight end Randy McMichael and asking a third-round pick in return.

DW Toys

Drew Bledsoe will sign a veteran minimum to come home and further aid Brady progression.

Maybe Stallworth or they are paying attention to getting Moss althought it is trade talk, not free agency.

Drew Bledsoe will sign a veteran minimum to come home and further aid Brady progression.

I read this fast and thought it said will further aid with Brady's regression...

It is not out of the realm of possibility but I don't see it happening. As bad as Bledsoe is I have to believe he is better than 1/3 of the starting QBs in the league.

Maybe Stallworth or they are paying attention to getting Moss althought it is trade talk, not free agency.

Stallworth in rehab. Don't think we give a guy a big bonus who has a substance problem.

Seems a bunch of Donnie Edwards fans on board.

I admit, I think he is great linebacker and would definately enhance the defense because you can't be that talented and not contribute. I just don't see him wanting to come to NE or NE making the effort to sign a 33 ILB that seems to fit the mold for a 4-3 defense. Still think KC is in the works and if that falls through, I think he considers the Giants.

As far as Stallworth goes, I think the guy looked good last season. Years prior, the guy was very inconsistent. Maybe it was Aaron Brooks or maybe it was him (because Joe Horn was getting it done). I'm flattered that he put the Pats on the list of places he wants to play, but I'm not stupid to think that it wasn't influenced by the fact that the Pats had a ton of money to work with. You always want to flatter those teams because they will pay you.

Then you take into account the drug suspensions hanging over his head and I just don't think the Pats need that type of baggage. Now they are still rumored to be interested in Randy Moss and what baggage he has could largely out weigh anything Stallworth could bring. I think Moss can turn it on and be the #1, but Donte is better suited to be a #2 for a team that wants to take the risks.

Personally, I think it is time to search the bargain bin and find some solid depth at inexpensive prices.

MLB: Junior Seau, Larry Izzo, Wali Rainer or Barry Gardner

CB: maybe a veteran like Tory James (played all 16 games last season)

S: maybe Derrick Gibson or Terrance Holt

We need to sign Seau so we can have at least a 5 man (preferably 6 if we draft a LB who can play only situationly for his rookie season) so that Bruschi, Thomas, Colvin, and Vrabel won't tire out.

After that we should get Samuel a long term contract so he won't hold out and leave us really week at corner. After that just lay low and look for the bargins, and extend Warren first, Wilfork second (if possible).

Seems a bunch of Donnie Edwards fans on board.

I admit, I think he is great linebacker and would definately enhance the defense because you can't be that talented and not contribute. I just don't see him wanting to come to NE or NE making the effort to sign a 33 ILB that seems to fit the mold for a 4-3 defense. Still think KC is in the works and if that falls through, I think he considers the Giants.

As far as Stallworth goes, I think the guy looked good last season. Years prior, the guy was very inconsistent. Maybe it was Aaron Brooks or maybe it was him (because Joe Horn was getting it done). I'm flattered that he put the Pats on the list of places he wants to play, but I'm not stupid to think that it wasn't influenced by the fact that the Pats had a ton of money to work with. You always want to flatter those teams because they will pay you.

Then you take into account the drug suspensions hanging over his head and I just don't think the Pats need that type of baggage. Now they are still rumored to be interested in Randy Moss and what baggage he has could largely out weigh anything Stallworth could bring. I think Moss can turn it on and be the #1, but Donte is better suited to be a #2 for a team that wants to take the risks.

Personally, I think it is time to search the bargain bin and find some solid depth at inexpensive prices.

MLB: Junior Seau, Larry Izzo, Wali Rainer or Barry Gardner

CB: maybe a veteran like Tory James (played all 16 games last season)

S: maybe Derrick Gibson or Terrance Holt

Edwards has been in a 3-4 defense for years and has been one of the best ILBs in the league during that time.

It's been quiet on the Edwards front. Is he visiting teams/any teams targeting him? Any ideas of what it would cost to get him?

It's been quiet on the Edwards front. Is he visiting teams/any teams targeting him? Any ideas of what it would cost to get him?

It's "quiet" because he's not a FA. A deal for Edwards has to include a trade with SD for the right to talk to him.

In terms of money, his current deal lands him toward the back of the pack of "Top 10 at his position," I believe (I'm pretty sure I wasn't reading the "Top 5" list.)

Can it be done? I think we get away with it in the same price range as AD, probably a little lower, since he's widely seen as on the decline. By the time he is a free agent, whatever he does with SD will be in the shadow of "Lights Out," and he'll look a little like yesterday's news.

If we go after him for multiple years, that makes it his "sunset" deal... he's said he would like a trade, but SD would have to agree.

PFnV

It's "quiet" because he's not a FA. A deal for Edwards has to include a trade with SD for the right to talk to him.

In terms of money, his current deal lands him toward the back of the pack of "Top 10 at his position," I believe (I'm pretty sure I wasn't reading the "Top 5" list.)

Can it be done? I think we get away with it in the same price range as AD, probably a little lower, since he's widely seen as on the decline. By the time he is a free agent, whatever he does with SD will be in the shadow of "Lights Out," and he'll look a little like yesterday's news.

If we go after him for multiple years, that makes it his "sunset" deal... he's said he would like a trade, but SD would have to agree.

PFnV

He voided his deal awhile ago:

http://nfl.com/freeagency/afc-unrestricted

He's also not listed on NFLPA.org player search anymore (he was a few weeks ago):

http://nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back